Post-Game Talk: GM04 | Vancouver Canucks defeat Florida Panthers in OT | 3-2 (Blueger, Hughes, & Miller) | Very Entertained!

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
It's funny how it's hardly ever mentioned around here that he just played two full seasons in Ottawa and acquitted himself fairly well. He's a lot better than any other #6-7 candidate on the team at pretty much everything but killing penalties and Gudbransoning in scrums.

According to PuckIQ he was a little bit sheltered in Ottawa but did well with the minutes he was given. He actually did slightly better against "elites" than the rest of the Sen's defencemen.

Reactions: Lindgren

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Crazy part is Hughes struggled to connect things in the first period but then it was just pure domination.....14 shot attempts, scored the 2nd and pushed the D back and set up Miller for the winner. What a player

Such a weird move by Tocc to throw Bains on the top line against TB and the Cup Champs on the road.

DeBrusk sure looked like what we needed last year tonight. Sherwood too. Him and Joshua are gonna be nightmares for defenders

Miller time for the clutch win again. liked the top6 once Debrusk moved in

Thought Amen was brutal and Suter not far behind.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Was working again during the whole game. Was scared to look at the score. Now that the first w of the season is in the bag my urge to kill is
IMG_0258.jpeg

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
We have a pulse - maybe not a strong one but not off to Boot Hill yet. However, you are not going get goaltending like this every game.

Good

Hughes - had tough start to the game in his own end but overall was excellent. Team needs to reduce his ice time. Might end up leading this team in scoring

Lankanin - right now looking like the best pick up of the off-season. One goal might be questioned but I thought he was clearly the first star. That said Goalie Bob was also good.

Hronek - might have been our best defenseman. Huge in his end particularly in getting the puck out of the zone. Another logging huge minutes.

Garland - again setting up people cold and huge in transition. Per usual strong in every zone. Needs to be back with Joshua as soon as Joshua is available.

Blueger - carries his line every shift. Also carries the PK when he is out.

Not so Good

Bains - not an NHL player. Struggles to stay in play. Almost painful to watch him skate. Such a weak first step and can't turn quick enough. Has no business on the first line or even in the League. Sad b/c he does try hard.

Heinen - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. By the end of the road trip, or preferably sooner, he should be benched.

Desharnais - survived but barely. His passing is awful and throughout game he resorted to slap shooting the puck off the boards to get it out. . He is big but that is all. Believe Forbert is better.

Hoglander - went a little Sprong in this one and lost coverage in his end too much. For him to help the team he is going to have to score to make up for some of his lack of anticipation defensively. Needs to bury the chances he is getting while playing with players like Pettersson and Garland.

Others

Myers - mostly got the job done but it was far from pretty. Team remains ragged and that doesn't help Myers.

Brannstrom - much as you could predict. Good skater, good passer but trouble handling some of the bigger Panthers around his net. Made one poor play where he moved up to the neutral zone too quickly and player got through on Desharnais to have an open chance. I'd say a postive in general and if he can link up with someone like Forbert to support him, he could become the outlet player the third pairing needs. Some evidence of that in this game.

deBrusk - flashed some offense in this game and got some chances. Best preformance as a Canuck.

Boeser - didn't do enough with the many chances the team provided him

Miller - thought it was another mostly lackluster game with him again beating the puck to death. But then , of course, he does something no else on the team can do. Amazing how he can just snap his wrists and come up with a shot like that.

Pettersson - better but still has you pulling your hair out with some of his decisions and tentative play.

Team is far from clicking on all cyclinders but gutted this one out. Given the circumstances a big win for the team.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
It's funny how it's hardly ever mentioned around here that he just played two full seasons in Ottawa and acquitted himself fairly well. He's a lot better than any other #6-7 candidate on the team at pretty much everything but killing penalties and Gudbransoning in scrums.
He's just like stetcher, quietly and or efficiently gets the job done, can skate and make a pass, occasional mistake you can live with.

I hope oilers waive stetcher who they keep scratching to dress worse dmans.
I also want the leafs to waive healthy scratch Myers for my obvious dream pairing Myers - Myers double chaos giraffes, possibly creating some legacy thunder megazord effect I'm pretty sure.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Brannstrom was fine, he and Desharnais looked like a good pair.
DeSharnais mentioned in the pre-season after he played a game with Wolanin that he worked well with that style of defensemen, plus that he made a big effort to make sure they were communicating a LOT. He really made a point that he works best when him and his defensive partner talk a ton on the ice.

Fingers crossed.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
DeSharnais mentioned in the pre-season after he played a game with Wolanin that he worked well with that style of defensemen, plus that he made a big effort to make sure they were communicating a LOT. He really made a point that he works best when him and his defensive partner talk a ton on the ice.

Fingers crossed.

No more Juulsen, absolute ass

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So who's 'next up' in Abbotsford? At this point Juulsen and Desharnais simply aren't good enough.

Friedman is a veteran who can still play; and there's always Wolanin or Brisebois. I mean how can it get much worse?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So who's 'next up' in Abbotsford? At this point Juulsen and Desharnais simply aren't good enough.

Friedman is a veteran who can still play; and there's always Wolanin or Brisebois. I mean how can it get much worse?

Jett Woo then Kudryavtsev. For whatever reason Wolanin didn't play in the first two games.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

It's a bit of a funny one since Forbort and Desharnais probably shouldn't be in the line-up simultaneously. Fortunately, Brannstrom is apparently comfortable on either side, so he relieves some of the pressure. I'd rather carry Friedman over Juulsen. There is not really anyone on the farm that would be ahead of the names mentioned. I think you just run Hughes, Hronek. Soucy, Myers, Brannstrom ... and then rotate that last spot based on who is playing well.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Jett Woo then Kudryavtsev. For whatever reason Wolanin didn't play in the first two games.
Wouldn’t mind seeing Woo get a shot in the event of an injury. Would like to see how Kud handles the AHL first but I quite liked his camp and he’s a legit prospect

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
That was an entertaining game.

Desharnais looked a lot better!
Sherwood is a monster.

Shit, even Pettersson looked really strong on his skates... his skating eventually looked completely different

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad