Post-Game Talk: GM04 | Vancouver Canucks defeat Florida Panthers in OT | 3-2 (Blueger, Hughes, & Miller) | Very Entertained!

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I really hope this does not mean more bains on anything but the 4th line. I also thought amans line struggled but I'm sure he will be back in to, rick loves them

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So after all the angst, we're essentially 2-2. What a ridiculous week.

Very solid performance tonight. Obviously benefited from some missing star players but this is still the defending Cup champs at home and they're a quality team, and we generally carried the play.

- Hughes was just immense. Willed the team to victory tonight. Superstar performance. Hronek is continuing his quality play as well and that pairing is back to looking all-world.

- Desharnais had a TERRIBLE first period but righted the ship in the last 40 minutes. Brannstrom came in and ... is better than Juulsen. Fairly low-event debut which is just fine.

- JT Miller is clearly not 100% but is still a horse for the team and clutch as hell.

- as I said in the GDT, confused by the Bains hate. Didn't think he was poor at all tonight, thought he was much improved from the TB game. Skated the best I've seen him skate at this level.

- Pettersson again showed a pulse and had a few chances, also some continuing very disjointed play and some poor PP shifts. But this is a little better and hopefully the first baby steps of getting out of this. But it has to be said that he's now the only forward on the team to play all 4 games and have 0 ES points.

- Debrusk was really good tonight. His best game so far. Skated well, battled hard, 5 hits, really solid two-way game.

- love Kiefer Sherwood. 10 (!) hits tonight and most weren't soft bumps.

- Danton Heinen is just so vanilla and underwhelming but also soaks up leverage minutes, doesn't really make positional or puck management mistakes, and has 2 points in 4 games.

- Blueger is having a really solid start to the season. Getting him back so cheap was the most underrated signing of the offseason.

- Lankinen should be starting 4 of every 5 games right now. This isn't close. We're costing ourselves points by continuing a 50/50 split in net.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
How was Brannstrom
I thought he complemented Desharnais much more than Forbort, as Forbort-Desharnais have somewhat similar strengths and weaknesses. When they are together we have two guys who are weak at moving the puck, something I thought Brannstrom did well tonight with a number of good, reasonably quick first passes. I also thought he played a quiet game, which is almost certainly a good thing.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
What more can you say about Hughes. If Miller is the heart of the team, Quinn is most definitely the engine. Monster game.

All of our top players could have had 3 or 4 points each. Big step forward from Pettersson tonight. Miller still not playing great overall but can't complain about that beauty winner.

Brannstrom had some iffy moments but pretty good in general. Definitely should be playing next game and you go from there.

Don't hate Bains as much as some others but he definitely needs to be moved down the lineup with Debrusk taking his spot.

Not really sure what to make of Desharnais. A bit slow both physically and processing the game. Willing to give him some more time.

Lankinen was excellent outside of being a bit of an adventure whenever he left his net to play the puck. Undoubtedly ahead of Silovs at this point.

Overall, not as enamoured with the peformance compared to most others here. On the right side of 3 goal reviews and Florida was missing their two best players. Defensively still a bit of an adventure, with a lot of missed assignments in the slot and in front of the net. However we did generate a lot of chances offensively and at this point you take the W so we can start heading in the right direction.

Reactions: Jay26 and Lindgren

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
From the limited time I watched the game tonight (some of the 1st and all of the 2nd period), I thought he was really good. Unlucky to not be on the scoreboard, but he created lots of chances and looked more engaged. If he plays like this or better going forward, and Hughes continues to dominate, we will be in good shape.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Brannstrom at least appears to be an NHL defenseman, which I’m not sure we can say about most of the cast of characters occupying the bottom pair these days.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Brannstrom came in and ... is better than Juulsen. Fairly low-event debut which is just fine.
It's funny how it's hardly ever mentioned around here that he just played two full seasons in Ottawa and acquitted himself fairly well. He's a lot better than any other #6-7 candidate on the team at pretty much everything but killing penalties and Gudbransoning in scrums.

NailsHoglander

Feb 20, 2024
- Pettersson again showed a pulse and had a few chances, also some continuing very disjointed play and some poor PP shifts. But this is a little better and hopefully the first baby steps of getting out of this. But it has to be said that he's now the only forward on the team to play all 4 games and have 0 ES points.

He has 3 ES shots in 4 games. It's unfathomable for a guy that won the NHL hardest shot competition. He did have 4 blocked shots tonight though. He's basically a defensive forward at this point as others have pointed out.

Nice team win.

Edit: Hughes had 8 ES shots tonight alone

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad