GDT: GM02 | Vancouver Canucks vs Philadelphia Flyers | Fri. Oct 11th | 7pm PST | SNP | Alex Edler Appreciation Day

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
God I loved Hamhuis as a player. The perfectly complimentary d-man that controlled the neutral zone and elite at preventing entries, elite first pass, and physical.

It's crazy what happened with his restaurant and Willie Mitchell who has fallen off the face of the earth and gone into hiding.

Last edited:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Am I forgetting something but why vs. Philly and not a team with a stronger connection to Edler, ie. LA.

(I guess there aren't a lot of teams you can make a connection to Edler with...)
He doesn't live here anymore and there's only one home game against LA this season. I'm guessing it has something to do with his schedule.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
God I loved Hamhuis as a player. The perfectly complimentary d-man that controlled the neutral zone and elite at preventing entries, elite first pass, and physical.

It's crazy what happened with his restaurant and Willie Mitchell who has fallen off the face of the earth and gone into hiding.

He's around. Saw him on his boat off the coast of North Vancouver Island last summer. He introduces himself as "Bill" now. Kinda weird seeing him with his wife and kids given everything.

He'd be a little more incognito if he took the decals celebrating his Stanley Cup wins off his boat. Don't know if I would have recognized him if I didn't think "why would someone up here be celebrating LA Kings championships?

Reactions: Vector and Breakers

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He's around. Saw him on his boat off the coast of North Vancouver Island last summer. He introduces himself as "Bill" now. Kinda weird seeing him with his wife and kids given everything.

He'd be a little more incognito if he took the decals celebrating his Stanley Cup wins off his boat. Don't know if I would have recognized him if I didn't think "why would someone up here be celebrating LA Kings championships?

Wow, wild, thanks for the update.
Thought he was down in the states

He had so much going for him, the restaurant, the marina, his fishing competition with $150k in prizes, he was working with Axopar. All gone

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

I remember not thinking too much about him when we first traded for him. Then he got paired with Bieksa and what a turnaround that wound up becoming. The fact they were better than prime Weber and Suter for a month or two still boggles the mind.

I miss that 2011 team.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

It might be because he’s not that smart.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
That third pairing is something that needs to be figured out if this team wants to compete. I’ll hold my judgment on Petey it’s only been one game I’ll wait til 10-15 games for that.
Petey drew a penalty and got as assist. He had more points on opening night than McDavid ans Draisitle combined.

At least wait till he goes pointless.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Wait what I wasn’t aware Hamhius was involved .

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Miss that team and era
I knew we were in for an crazy fun ride after that 2008-2009 season. There was a brotherhood and every single core player brought it most nights.

We also had the epic build up to the Olympics as well. It was just such an awesome period for hockey in this city.

I cannot believe we followed up with the Benning years. Zero identity, zero passion and hateable players. f*** that was such a kick in the nuts.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Need to come out and work their asses off. Think the 1st vs CGY had them dreaming about parade routes.

Time to get this wagon rolling.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
How do you rank the below:
Jovanovski
Edler
Hamhuis
Ohlund
Salo
Bieksa
Mitchell
Ehrhoff

Obvi Sopel is 1 so after him I mean

At their absolute peak:
Ohlund
Edler
Jovanovski
Ehrhoff
Hamhuis
Salo
Bieksa
Mitchell

Their career as a Canuck:
Edler
Ohlund
Salo
Hamhuis
Bieksa
Jovanovski
Mitchell
Ehrhoff

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Juulsen was so bad at the end of the season man. Just awful.

—-

This is a big game in my eyes for EP. Not to have a meltdown if he sucks, but one of my standout memories from early last season was that Philadelphia hard matched Nic Deslauriers and I thought, haha you idiots… and Pettersson played awful.

So when people say EP was only bad in the second half last year, I don’t buy it.

And I still stick to waiting til 20 games in, but yeah, just want to not have that memory burned in anymore. Nic Deslauriers man.
I guess you are right. Wasnt there a stretch last year where Juulsen was ok? Maybe my memory is whacked. Vinny is bad though. That signing was a head sctatcher. Twice the price of guys like Juulsen too

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
If I remember correctly philly gave them fits last year, I think that was the only team they could not figure out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad