GDT: GM02 | Vancouver Canucks vs Philadelphia Flyers | Fri. Oct 11th | 7pm PST | SNP | Alex Edler Appreciation Day

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Problem is that doesn't make sense cap wise. If Bains wasn't going to play today, and they may not play him because teams do things that I don't understand all the time, they could have waited a few days and called him tomorrow or whichever day they travel on.

Maybe they want him to be with the team if he's going to play. Do they practice?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Having a goalie who can stop point shots will help. Suter in for Aman is obviously an upgrade, but swapping Desharnais for Juulsen doesn't really improve the bottom pair. Bains and Raty belong in Abbotsford.
I thought Räty was pretty good in game 1. He didn't play much but made a good play ahead of the Garland goal and won 5 of 6 faceoffs.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Maybe they want him to be with the team if he's going to play. Do they practice?

It's definitely a practice thing. The thing is if he's not going to play then there's no reason to be up here. Abbotsford plays tonight and the Canucks don't play against until Tuesday. Keep him in Abbotsford for a game or two, bank the little bit of cap, then fly him out tomorrow or Sunday if they plan on playing him Tuesday.

I'll stress, this is a little thing and there's probably a greater benefit than I understand in having him practice with the team than I realize.

Reactions: Nick Lang

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I thought Räty was pretty good in game 1. He didn't play much but made a good play ahead of the Garland goal and won 5 of 6 faceoffs.

I would rather see both him and Bains playing top-line minutes in Abbotsford unless needed for injuries, with the goal of having them be full-time NHLers next year. Raty has been generally fine, but he's not done anything to convince me he should be playing over any of the veterans once Joshua is back. Maybe they just have one/both up until Joshua is healthy.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I would rather see both him and Bains playing top-line minutes in Abbotsford unless needed for injuries, with the goal of having them be full-time NHLers next year. Raty has been generally fine, but he's not done anything to convince me he should be playing over any of the veterans once Joshua is back. Maybe they just have one/both up until Joshua is healthy.
Aatu Räty has 250 AHL and Liiga game under his belt. He played plenty of minutes in pro hockey, scored 52 points in the AHL last season and he's NHL ready. In an ideal world he'd get more minutes than in game 1 but there's nothing wrong with easing him in.

Reactions: MS

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
That third pairing is something that needs to be figured out if this team wants to compete. I’ll hold my judgment on Petey it’s only been one game I’ll wait til 10-15 games for that.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Nearly every team in the league has a terrible 3rd pairing defense due to the cap. I'd argue on paper the Canucks have one of the better ones and more depth than most. The problem was we had weak goaltending last game and it needs to be a lot better. Also, Pettersson needs to be a whole lot better.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Nearly every team in the league has a terrible 3rd pairing defense due to the cap. I'd argue on paper the Canucks have one of the better ones and more depth than most. The problem was we had weak goaltending last game and it needs to be a lot better. Also, Pettersson needs to be a whole lot better.

One of our big strengths last year was that when everyone was healthy we never had a weak defensive C or a weak defensive pairing on the ice and this made us pretty impervious to other coaches exploiting matchup weaknesses.

Suddenly we appear to have a legit bad 3rd pairing and this is a big change and a major potential issue.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Aatu Räty has 250 AHL and Liiga game under his belt. He played plenty of minutes in pro hockey, scored 52 points in the AHL last season and he's NHL ready. In an ideal world he'd get more minutes than in game 1 but there's nothing wrong with easing him in.

I'm not all that interested in his GP numbers, honestly. We'll see, I don't see much chance at all they scratch Hoglander or Suter for him, and somebody needs to be scratched when Joshua gets back. Declaring Raty "NHL ready" seems a little presumptive to me, at this stage.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I'm not all that interested in his GP numbers, honestly. We'll see, I don't see much chance at all they scratch Hoglander or Suter for him, and somebody needs to be scratched when Joshua gets back. Declaring Raty "NHL ready" seems a little presumptive to me, at this stage.

I think what he's trying to say is acclimating to pro hockey in the AHL isn't really a part of his development anymore. Having him up with the big club with our coaches and being around these players is the next best step for him at the moment.

For sure at some point he will be sent down because we have a lot of solid depth forwards but Raty staying up and getting scratched isn't hurting his development.

Reactions: Hinterland

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
One of our big strengths last year was that when everyone was healthy we never had a weak defensive C or a weak defensive pairing on the ice and this made us pretty impervious to other coaches exploiting matchup weaknesses.

Suddenly we appear to have a legit bad 3rd pairing and this is a big change and a major potential issue.
That and a loss of identity.
Much worse for the defence depth, AHL guys could be in the top 4 with one injury.

Currently SP's radio show is declaring that 11 points for the month of November is a good thing considering the state of the team. No identity, weaker defence, goaltending not up to Demko standards or when he might come back, if ever.

It is so early why are they talking about being .500 for October is good?

I wonder if Strong will be "stapled" to the bench again. Hope not the team doesn't have that many rush scoring threats since EP stopped shooting and slowed down as the game goes on. Hopefully EP lights a fire under his arse and plays/skates like he did when Bruce was coaching.

Flyers might win in a goalie battle.
Will 2 million dollar Deharnais be benched or play at all?

I think with the mixed up lines the Nux have another good period but then, paralysis by analysis as players are worried about being "stapled" to the bench.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Lindholm was dreadful offensively during the regular season but he did some heavily lifting defensively. Bluegar as a 3C and Aman/Raty as a 4C is a step back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad