Pre-Game Talk: GM02 | Vancouver Canucks vs Philadelphia Flyers | Fri. Oct 11th | 7pm PST | SNP | Alex Edler Appreciation Day

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
if we had anyone you could play the right side with hughes without dragging down his effectiveness, i would do it.

i’m certain moving hronek down to the second pair would unlock something in him that would level up the team dramatically. and if it doesn’t, then re-signing him to that term and those dollars was a huge mistake.
If Forbert-Desharnais continues to be a trainwreck, I’m curious how the coaches respond. My guess is they like their big defencemen too much to move to someone on the farm like Wolanin or Friedman.

Hughes-Desharnais, Soucy-Hronek, Forbert-Myers is the only other arrangement that makes any sense to me.

Reactions: God

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Juulsen is a worse overall player than Desharnais but he has a little bit more mobility and might be a slightly less terrible option to play with Forbort.

Calling up Brannstrom would be my preferred option though.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

1728589654694.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Flik

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
At this point, there is no choice but to do Soucy-Desharnais, and Forbort-Myers. You just can’t play the two together. Throwing in Juulsen doesn’t do anything

Agreed, said this since the beginning. And they ran a lot of Soucy-Desharnais in camp but just didn't go with it.

Reactions: wonton15

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
if we had anyone you could play the right side with hughes without dragging down his effectiveness, i would do it.

i’m certain moving hronek down to the second pair would unlock something in him that would level up the team dramatically. and if it doesn’t, then re-signing him to that term and those dollars was a huge mistake.
I would too but currently the team has Hronek and Myers and Hronek with Hughes vs Myers with Hughes are completely different conversations and asking Vincent to play against other teams top pairs would be most likely a nightmare.

Hronek is going to play somewhere in the line up, not worried about that.

Agreed, said this since the beginning. And they ran a lot of Soucy-Desharnais in camp but just didn't go with it.
Tocchet liked the idea of 1 good pairing and 1 bad pairing vs 2 bad pairings is what you are saying?

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
The two guys at the bottom of the graph is probably why. But ideally they find a capable top 4 defenseman between now and the deadline and bump Soucy down to the 3rd pairing and Forbort to the press box.
I imagine, hope that will be the idea. It would be nice to have a 1st and 2nd round pick for this years draft but with current roster make up, I doubt that's going to be the case at the end of the year. Best case scenario Willander has a huge year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know Tocchet loves his tall, rangy d-men. But Myers turns 35 before the end of this season; and at this stage of their careers, Forbort and Desharnais are probably 7-8 depth d-men on a good team.

It's possible the Canucks' forwards can put their work-boots on and shield these guys from being too exposed out there on the defensive side of the ledger. But that's probably not a viable option long-term, particularly without Demko to bail them out.

So it looks like another long-season of playing the Hughes-Hronek pairing 25-plus minutes a night. I just hope the wear and tear doesn't take its toll on them.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Tocchet liked the idea of 1 good pairing and 1 bad pairing vs 2 bad pairings is what you are saying?

Soucy-Myers weren’t good last night either. The key to that pairing working is having a pair below them that allows you to manage their minutes and usage. One really bad pair blows the entire thing up.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
This is jim bennings type of defense

What a colossal failure by management signing excess junk over quality

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not liking the optics of this game.....it seems every year early in the season, the Canucks play the Flyers and seem to lay an egg. Last season they were blanked 2-0 in Philly, despite a heroic effort from Demko.

Torts will have have him team amped up for this one. At least it'll be fun to get a sneak preview of Matvei Michkov, one of the early Calder favorites.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Not liking the optics of this game.....it seems every year early in the season, the Canucks play the Flyers and seem to lay an egg. Last season they were blanked 2-0 in Philly, despite a heroic effort from Demko.

Torts will have have him team amped up for this one. At least it'll be fun to get a sneak preview of Matvei Michkov, one of the early Calder favorites.
Almost same sort of line up as the Flames. Not a ton of skill, a lot of try hard. Questionable what you are getting for goaltending nightly. Some good defencemen.

Hopefully Van got the 20 minutes effort out of their system the other night and don't do it again.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
If Forbert-Desharnais continues to be a trainwreck, I’m curious how the coaches respond. My guess is they like their big defencemen too much to move to someone on the farm like Wolanin or Friedman.

Hughes-Desharnais, Soucy-Hronek, Forbert-Myers is the only other arrangement that makes any sense to me.
It surprised me that they didn't give the Hughes/Desharnais idea a bit of a run through camp and exhibition play, especially after the long look they gave McWard alongisde Hughes last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad