Pre-Game Talk: GM02 | Vancouver Canucks vs Philadelphia Flyers | Fri. Oct 11th | 7pm PST | SNP | Alex Edler Appreciation Day

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
I figure Aman got some minutes at the end of the game and can PK while Raty was pretty much benched.
I thought Sprong was benched too at ES and went through the box score and he did appear to have only one more ES shift than Raty. There did seem to be times where his puck management probably bothered RT.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I thought Sprong was benched too at ES and went through the box score and he did appear to have only one more ES shift than Raty. There did seem to be times where his puck management probably bothered RT.

Both of them were pretty much benched.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Seemed like the Canucks were too fast for their own good, lots of big gaps and open space as a result, maybe play a bit more structured and controlled, especially in the offensive and defensive zones.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
It's early yet, when/if they are a .500 team then worry.

Yes, Demko and Markstrom were covering up many problems and Demko still is. THIS is a problem because the team has been assembled with the idea there is a barn door covering the mesh rather than a 2X4.

IMO this game/team was much like those teams that played for a 1/3 of a season under Bruce and Tocchet's first stint, got close but ended up kissing their sister, nice but not satisfying and maybe even a little bit weird.

Mik, the kid can play. Torts, the original to Tocchet's substitute.

Tocchet's "STAPLES" are becoming references to stapling a players butt to the bench.

Canucks started game one like champs and then became tentative I expect this game will be slightly different but it is only game two.
Hopefully EP can generate some points rather than a mere single shot and secondary PP assist.

Goaltending the flyers may be one of the only teams with less NHL experience.

Canucks should be favored.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I think you just rotate them until one stakes a claim. If Lankinen has a great game, ride him - if he has a rough one, go back to Silovs.
Lots of the "shows" are starting to wonder if Demko can ever comeback or the injury as described.
This team is reliant on Demko to be over a .500 (24th) team.
Too bad they weakened the defence so much.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I think you just rotate them until one stakes a claim. If Lankinen has a great game, ride him - if he has a rough one, go back to Silovs.
Yup, no need to reinvent the wheel, in a platoon situation you switch back and forth until someone steps up.

If you play Silovs again and he struggles, that's a huge setback for his confidence (and the team's confidence in him). This way he can just shake it off as a bad game 1 and refocus for his next opportunity.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The big problem with having an unreliable bottom pairing isn’t just that they suck but it means you need to overplay Soucy-Myers. Last season showed those guys were at their best when only occasionally asked to play those extra minutes. Then that accumulates and gets worse as the season goes on.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Don't know why people want to get rid of the Hughes/Hronek pair.

if we had anyone you could play the right side with hughes without dragging down his effectiveness, i would do it.

i’m certain moving hronek down to the second pair would unlock something in him that would level up the team dramatically. and if it doesn’t, then re-signing him to that term and those dollars was a huge mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad