Post-Game Talk: GM02 | Canucks lose to Flyers in SO | 2-3 (Hoglander & Blueger) | Winless Streak

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
At what point do we take an honest look at Tocchet? He kills offensive talent.

Not every player is a plug and grinder like he was.

Feels like “today’s game” and players are not compatible with Tocchet

What on earth? This may be one of the worst hockey takes I've seen this century. Even worse than the boneheads who were ripping into him 3 games into the season last year and looked like complete fools very quickly, as the season progressed, in the playoffs, and at the awards ceremony.

2 games into the season. Give your head a shake and clean the cobwebs outta your ears. :loony:

Pettersson? Where are you/

Playing alongside everyone else. He's actually played alright. Hoglander has been real good, as has Blueger. Garland has been alright although not dominating like that line did last year. Sherwood decent. Miller, and Boeser have simply sucked way worse than EP except for the couple goals gifted to them. Heinen doing jack squat. Debrusk hasn't stood out but made some nifty plays. Hughes hasn't been doing much offensively either.

Honestly someone made the comment about lack of cohesion and I think we're seeing that. So many new faces, no Joshua, Blueger, Garland line to rely on. It'll take time integrating people into important top 6 roles. Sprong kind of sucks there too. Biggest thing is Miller is playing like 2 years ago imo, also ripples down to Boeser. I thought the D stepped up nicely in Myers absence.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
23/24 started off pretty strong for Petey. Lots of people noted that he seemed less dynamic and didn't play the same as he did the year before, but he was still putting up plenty of points and was defensively strong. His fall off didn't happen until around the time of the All-Star break and then the wheels just seemed to come off.

My thought was that Petey was really offensively dynamic playing under Boudreau, but seemed to have lost a lot of that player under Tocchett. Similar thing happened to Keller back in Arizona,
Keller, Dvorak, OEL, Hall, all the higher skilled guys. There were lots of players wanting out there. Just the bigger names were mentioned because it was such an out of the way lower watched franchise. I am pretty sure there was a couple of other Dmen that wanted out too. Didn't Gonchar and Chyrchun also want out?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I like this idea. Hogs and Garland could potentially get Pettersson producing, if anyone can. Only change I would make is Blueger for Raty on the third line for some more defensive balance.

That Suter-Blueger-Sherwood line was probably our most consistent last night, though. A buzz saw. I’m hesitant to break it up.

Even when Joshua is back I may keep it and just bench Sprong, though I don’t think Raty has been anything special.

DiggerDan

Jul 22, 2003
Canada
hfboards.com
That Suter-Blueger-Sherwood line was probably our most consistent last night, though. A buzz saw. I’m hesitant to break it up.

Even when Joshua is back I may keep it and just bench Sprong, though I don’t think Raty has been anything special.
Good point. And yes, Joshua does change things. It's nice that we have these depth options, that's for sure. It will also take time to gel, which is normal considering the number of new faces we have this year (as others have already pointed out).

Reactions: TruGr1t

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
The best thing you can do in October is keep the lines similar to the previous season as there is established chemistry and you already know it works, then integrate the new players in slowly and move them up in the lineup as the season progresses, Tocchet already knows he has great lines in…

Suter-Miller-Boeser
DeBrusk-Pettersson-Hoglander
Fill in - Blueger - Garland

DeBrusk replaces Mikheyev which is a big upgrade and someone slots in for Joshua until he returns. This is how they should play in October and then slowly switch things up as new players learn the systems and show their strengths and weaknesses to the coaching staff.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

I always thought his "staples" meant system but it now appears to be "stapled" to the bench.

Hoglander, Sprong and DeBrusk combined for 27 minutes of ice time, Hogs the goal scorer got 13:14, Sprong 8:11 and Debrusk got 16:31. Boards guy Heinen.

You would think Sprong would get more than 1:45 of PP ice time out of 8 minutes
What on earth? This may be one of the worst hockey takes I've seen this century. Even worse than the boneheads who were ripping into him 3 games into the season last year and looked like complete fools very quickly, as the season progressed, in the playoffs, and at the awards ceremony.

2 games into the season. Give your head a shake and clean the cobwebs outta your ears. :loony:

Playing alongside everyone else. He's actually played alright. Hoglander has been real good, as has Blueger. Garland has been alright although not dominating like that line did last year. Sherwood decent. Miller, and Boeser have simply sucked way worse than EP except for the couple goals gifted to them. Heinen doing jack squat. Debrusk hasn't stood out but made some nifty plays. Hughes hasn't been doing much offensively either.

Honestly someone made the comment about lack of cohesion and I think we're seeing that. So many new faces, no Joshua, Blueger, Garland line to rely on. It'll take time integrating people into important top 6 roles. Sprong kind of sucks there too. Biggest thing is Miller is playing like 2 years ago imo, also ripples down to Boeser. I thought the D stepped up nicely in Myers absence.
You do have to take into account the teams they are playing against too. Philly had an 18 yr old playing and the 11 players younger than Pettersson.

Tocchet gets/takes a lot of credit for last year but IMO Bruce could have had close to that success with that improved defence.

Now many high skilled players are gone at a big expense, this is Tocchet's team even more. Lots more "boards guys", big but not as skilled dmen certainly dmen that feel less secured in their position. Deharnais, Forbort, Juulsen and Friedman all play at Tocchet's whim giving him more power. Even EP experiences Tocchet distaste for not being a "boards guy".

Under Boudreau and the first 80 games of Tocchet the forwards were essentially the same but the defence was massively improved the second season. Then came the purge and the team declined from game 48 on.

Allvin has given Tocchet his team. Now Tocchet drives the bus, Allvin is just along for the ride.

Maybe that is one reason Rutherford has stepped back a bit, distancing himself. He is the President and main decision maker after all.

I see Calgary is thrilled with Kuzmenko in the room, Mikheyev is a key PK guy with Chicago, Lindstrom and Zadorov are quickly becoming the darlings and back bone of Boston according to fans. Lafferty is not doing great with Buffalo though.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

sideways to your point about killing offensive talent, he was absolutely not a grinder.

rick tocchet was a hell of an offensive player. i remember before he was traded to the penguins for recchi and coffey, he was routinely scoring at a 50/100 pace (while flirting with 200 PIMs) on those in between flyers teams that bridged the mike keenan/mark howe powerhouse years and the lindros era.

Reactions: DiggerDan

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Now we're blaming our Jack Adams-winning coach because of Pettersson's pouting, constant falling, giving up on plays and general disinterest? As weak an excuse as the sore tendon was, at least it was more believable.

At this point, the fan base just wants to see something, anything from the guy. I don't think I've seen a more mercurial star since Yashin or Kovalev.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
being on the road may help us start to play the system and a disciplined game.

i think missing the joshua/garland grind it out line has hurt a little on team vibe. that line set the system and physical hard work ethic for the team last year. garland is still doing that but not getting the sustained zone time he and joshua could produce together and which could turn the team around during games.

so we just had two physical teams play disciplined physical road games against us while our better guys tried to freestyle for the crowd based on a high opinion they formed of themselves last year.

i think miller and hughes are close to settling in. ep40 is just embarrassing himself. maybe he didn't want to sign last year because he knew he had lost interest?

the rest of the team looks ok but overall not as good right now as they imagine themselves.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
being on the road may help us play the system and a disciplined game.

missing the joshua/garland combo has hurt i think. that line set the physical hard work tone for the team last year. garland is still doing that but not getting the sustained zone time he and joshua could produce together. the top 6 is starting out very flakey this year.

two physical teams played disciplined physical road games against us while our better guys tried to freestyle for the crowd based on a high opinion they formed of themselves last year.

i think miller and hughes are close to settling in. but ep40 is embarrassing himself. zero urgency or enthusiasm to his game. maybe he didn't want to sign last year because he knew he had lost interest?

the rest of the team looks ok but maybe not as good as they imagine themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad