GM search thread - all news and discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Well that would be encouraging. So maybe there is a possibility of Tulsky or Darche still...

Maybe we should start researching people Waddell has worked with and not Davidson 😂
I sort of feel like naming Tulsky interim and then him leaving very shortly after is a bad look for the Canes. I don’t think they give him the interim title if they think he’s going to leave too.

Reactions: CBJx614

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Cannot believe this organization is considering replacing Priest. That's a win, let's see if it actually happens but damn is it overdue.
I don't think I'd even care very much who they hire for other roles if Priest is gone. Very sincerely, I say: f*** Mike Priest.

Ten fake dollars that the team rebrands and modernizes within two years of Priest being gone.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think I'd even care very much who they hire for other roles if Priest is gone. Very sincerely, I say: f*** Mike Priest.

Ten fake dollars that the team rebrands and modernizes within two years of Priest being gone.

What are some specific decisions Priest has made that have been contentious within the organization?

I know f*** Mike Priest is the official banner of HF Jackets but the amount of actual information on his role shared here is close to zero.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
What are some specific decisions Priest has made that have been contentious within the organization?

I know f*** Mike Priest is the official banner of HF Jackets but the amount of actual information on his role shared here is close to zero.
I honestly think people here think his role is more important than it really is. Like he has real control of the hockey operations.

As far as I’m concerned, he’s in the business role he needs to be and not involved in actually hockey operations. I picture his role being simply around trying to make the team not lose money and be profitable.

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

I think a lot, and I mean A LOT of the Mine Priest angst comes from 2 areas:

1. He was the defacto JD for like 12 years even though he has no hockey knowledge (which he admits). He steered the team to make deals, such as the Jeff Carter deal, even when Howson wanted to back out after he was told Carter was going to throw a fit. The team was obviously terrible for almost all of his tenure as hockey president.

2. He is basically a mouthpiece for ownership. They convey their message through him (and JD to some extent). And this website sees the mcconnells in a negative light, for the most part at least.

Maybe I’m wrong but that’s just what I’ve assumed

Reactions: Seedtype

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

1. He was the defacto JD for like 12 years even though he has no hockey knowledge (which he admits). He steered the team to make deals, such as the Jeff Carter deal, even when Howson wanted to back out after he was told Carter was going to throw a fit. The team was obviously terrible for almost all of his tenure as hockey president.

2. He is basically a mouthpiece for ownership. They convey their message through him (and JD to some extent). And this website sees the mcconnells in a negative light, for the most part at least.

The bolded in particular does more to infuriate me with folks here than literally everything else ever, and I say that having gone through episodes of direct personal harassment. As far as I'm concerned, hating the McConnells means you hate hockey in Columbus, full stop, no excuses, I may die on this hill but I'll take you with me as I do.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Okay so basically nothing wrong with him as long as he's on the business side of the operation. Sounds fine to me.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

Oh, I used to work for the team. My reasons are 100% personal.

• Wow
Reactions: Koira

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I was hoping Waddell would be coming in place of JD at the President role rather than GM. I think that suits Waddell better and also turns the page on Davidson with someone whom I see as an upgrade. If Tulsky is sick of Carolina I would love for him to come over and slot in as GM.
My hope is that many in Carolina get sick of the franchise and come to the Jackets

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I don’t think you are wrong but he was also smart enough to know they needed somebody better for that role do he found someone and stepped back into his area. I think that should count for something.
The bolded in particular does more to infuriate me with folks here than literally everything else ever, and I say that having gone through episodes of direct personal harassment. As far as I'm concerned, hating the McConnells means you hate hockey in Columbus, full stop, no excuses, I may die on this hill but I'll take you with me as I do.
There is certainly no NHL here without the McConnell family. I don't now why people want them more in the spotlight. Just spend the money and keep the lights on and allow the team to be successful. They aren't the reason why the team hasn't won much. The people they hire are the reason. I think they also know you can't be so short sighted to pull the trigger too quickly. The downside of that is that maybe they have waited too long to make changes.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
So wait... did that mean we aren't upset about hiring Holland now? 🤣

I have to laugh because the rumor of the day hits and the rumor of yesterday no longer has any merit. This place rocks!

I heard Jim Nill has a place in hocking hills and he's looking to get closer. He interviewed before game 1 in a non identified location. Although I hear he's looking to become the owner

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The reason Priest is disliked is that for a portion of the Howson era, Priest became very active in the hockey operations side of things. Most specifically, Priest was the primary internal advocate for the Carter trade. He way overstepped his bounds during that time After JD came on board, he returned to a role that was exclusively on the business side of things.

Reactions: Toe Pick

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
That I can understand and sympathize with. It's the folks who just want to see more heads roll that I have no tolerance for.

The reason Priest is disliked is that for a portion of the Howson era, Priest became very active in the hockey operations side of things. Most specifically, Priest was the primary internal advocate for the Carter trade. He way overstepped his bounds during that time After JD came on board, he returned to a role that was exclusively on the business side of things.

I have heard stories about the Jeff Carter fiasco from enough people involved with hockey around Columbus. It is definitely a big part of it.

Also, there is the fact that the Jackets are the worst team in the NHL since their inception. Mike Priest is the one guy that has been around since the beginning. Maybe it’s time to move on from him or let him focus on non-Blue Jackets aspects of JMAC, Inc.

I don’t think the business side is that great. The in game experience is ok, not great. It also seems dated. You go to a Jackets game and you know what you are going to get. There will be the “We like pizza” pizza song. A blimp will drop prizes to a section I am not sitting in. There will be a chili chant if we can score. The canon is awesome, but everything else feels like a focus group 20 years ago came up with it. Changes they have made (eliminating cheap seats for college kids) seem short-sighted.

I don’t call for the owner to sell. I call for the owner to evaluate the hockey business like he would his other businesses.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I have heard stories about the Jeff Carter fiasco from enough people involved with hockey around Columbus. It is definitely a big part of it.

Also, there is the fact that the Jackets are the worst team in the NHL since their inception. Mike Priest is the one guy that has been around since the beginning. Maybe it’s time to move on from him or let him focus on non-Blue Jackets aspects of JMAC, Inc.

I don’t think the business side is that great. The in game experience is ok, not great. It also seems dated. You go to a Jackets game and you know what you are going to get. There will be the “We like pizza” pizza song. A blimp will drop prizes to a section I am not sitting in. There will be a chili chant if we can score. The canon is awesome, but everything else feels like a focus group 20 years ago came up with it. Changes they have made (eliminating cheap seats for college kids) seem short-sighted.

I don’t call for the owner to sell. I call for the owner to evaluate the hockey business like he would his other businesses.
Koteka,

Taking this off-topic. I guess mods can move it if they prefer.

I go to about 3-5 games at Nationwide every year. I have also seen games in about nine other arenas. Nationwide is a nice arena and agree the cannon is unique and awesome. But I have so many complaints about the rest of the operations and one in particular that makes me less interested in going to games...

Yes the pizza box and t-shirt throwing is stale (and tbh was always very minor league-ish...it's the kinda crap minor league teams do to keep fans coming back).

But my biggest complaint is the fake piped-in noise. I have seen more kids and adults holding their ears or wearing ear muffs in Nationwide than any other arena I have been in (and I do it too). I have never had this issue in any other arena. I don't know why this team's game operations group feels the need to deafen its fanbase.

I plan to try earplugs next season when I go to a game, hopefully that solves my problem. But I know I am not the only person with this issue, I have talked with others about it. It appears game ops is "deaf" to this problem.

Reactions: koteka

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
But my biggest complaint is the fake piped-in noise. I have seen more kids and adults holding their ears or wearing ear muffs in Nationwide than any other arena I have been in (and I do it too). I have never had this issue in any other arena. I don't know why this team's game operations group feels the need to deafen its fanbase.

I plan to try earplugs next season when I go to a game, hopefully that solves my problem. But I know I am not the only person with this issue, I have talked with others about it. It appears game ops is "deaf" to this problem.

My wife would agree with you 100%. She’ll go to OSU hockey games but I think she is done with the CBJ.

Did you ever go to any Destroyers games at NWA? They were the worst. I went to two games with a group of guys. About half of us decided we would never go again because it was too loud.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

To first bolded:

I have received numerous emails recently to attend an open house to look at available season ticket plans for the coming season. I would receive 2 tickets to an October game for going.

I wonder how many NHL teams have to do this to lure customers. It's not the first year I've received such an email.

Nationwide is a part owner of the team. They often "buy" a ton of seats for their employees and clients for games. It's a related party transaction so the stated price for these tickets mean nothing.
Is Molson doing that with the Canadiens?:laugh:

The revenues of the CBJ are near the bottom of the league. Hardly a ringing endorsement of the business end of the operation-especially given no other big 4 pro sport competition in town. (Yeah, I know about the football team:D)

To the second bolded:

I've posted this on numerous occasions. There's no way McConnell ran Worthington Industries like he does the CBJ. He was a very successful second generation owner of the business. It's not an easy task to take an enterpreneur father's business and grow it like JM did. He's a good businessmen-why he runs the CBJ like he has is a mystery to me.

I'll differ on the owner selling. I think that he's doing a huge disservice to his father's memory by how he operates the team. He could easily find a buyer who had to sign an iron clad agreement to keep the team in Columbus for the next 25 years -no $50 million buy out (or similarly weak provision) in agreement.

Priest is the constant on the business side. From what I can see, he has very little to hang his hat on. 20+ years of mediocrity/below average financial performance should be enough for McConnell to replace him. Priest never would have lasted as CFO at Worthington for two decades with a similar performance.

Last edited:

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

My wife would agree with you 100%. She’ll go to OSU hockey games but I think she is done with the CBJ.
Not to be off topic as well, but. My STH partner and I both use Loops brand for games. I recommend looking into them.

Reactions: koteka and Doggy

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
beyond the stupidity of the Carter fiasco I also understand there was wide spread chaos in the locker room during the era that Priest was overstepping his bounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad