GM Game 8 Discussion Thread

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I wouldn't mind doing a U25 draft or something like that if there was interest.

Would be a mix up from the regular draft and wouldn't require 31 teams to do. Would only need 10-16 people. Just an idea.
Good idea, let’s do a 25 and under draft. I’ll get a thread up.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I can help run, but I think we need to reevaluate the whole veto idea. It's kinda become less of a GM Game, and more of a "Lets Just Make Wild Trades and f*** Off After The Deadline" Game.
Yeah last game was pretty bad. A lot of people offered to help before the game started but very few actually helped. When things started coming up and I wasn’t able to be on to monitor it as much, it went to shit. By the time I was on pieces in that trade had already been moved and it wasn’t worth it to go back and veto it. I’ll help and be on a veto committee and/or an agent but I don’t want to be the main one running it again.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Yeah last game was pretty bad. A lot of people offered to help before the game started but very few actually helped. When things started coming up and I wasn’t able to be on to monitor it as much, it went to shit. By the time I was on pieces in that trade had already been moved and it wasn’t worth it to go back and veto it. I’ll help and be on a veto committee and/or an agent but I don’t want to be the main one running it again.

I'll co-commish. I did it for damn near a decade, I'll get the rust off... lol

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
Yeah, but it's realism. That was what the GM Games were built on when I started playing them in 2008. There were some guys that everyone knew weren't getting moved. It make for a better game.. guys who actually wanted to be a GM, not just make bombastic trades.

I do agree that realism for a game would be nice, yet at the same time after playing 4 or 5 of these or whatever it is enjoyable to switch it up and make those major trades. I enjoyed myself last game just as much as the more realistic ones.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I do agree that realism for a game would be nice, yet at the same time after playing 4 or 5 of these or whatever it is enjoyable to switch it up and make those major trades. I enjoyed myself last game just as much as the more realistic ones.

That's fair, but it also skews what the game is about.

If you want to make big time trades, pick a team where that applies! I loved playing teams I wasn't a fan of, and thought needed unpopular changes, but weren't in the stratosphere of crazy.

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
Yeah, but it's realism. That was what the GM Games were built on when I started playing them in 2008. There were some guys that everyone knew weren't getting moved. It make for a better game.. guys who actually wanted to be a GM, not just make bombastic trades.
This is what I went for last game. Honestly, I had so much more fun this last game.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
This is what I went for last game. Honestly, I had so much more fun this last game.

But it's not a GM Game then; everyone divests themselves of draft picks, makes crazytown trades, and then disappear... maybe 3 guys show up for the draft, with maybe 6 taking interest, and then FA withers and dies with a handful of active GMs.

It's a competition of who can make the most insane trades, not one where they're trying to build the best team.

If it were that easy, why don't those trades happen IRL every year?

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
But it's not a GM Game then; everyone divests themselves of draft picks, makes crazytown trades, and then disappear... maybe 3 guys show up for the draft, with maybe 6 taking interest, and then FA withers and dies with a handful of active GMs.

It's a competition of who can make the most insane trades, not one where they're trying to build the best team.

I was agreeing with you. I took the Bruins through a re-tool and it was ao much fun

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Yeah I try to keep it realistic as much as possible. I mean last game for the Sharks I added Hagelin, Gourde, Cernak, Rutta, and Murray and obviously that was a little unrealistic but I think every trade I made with them could be a hole they fill. For Buffalo I added Ekblad which unrealistic but not entirely, Faksa, Kassian, and Cole. I do my best to keep it at least semi realistic.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
That's fair, but it also skews what the game is about.

If you want to make big time trades, pick a team where that applies! I loved playing teams I wasn't a fan of, and thought needed unpopular changes, but weren't in the stratosphere of crazy.

Understandable, and I get wanting to get it back on track since it slowly divulged into bigger and bigger trades (partly from my pure boredom at the end), but I also don't think crazy is a bad thing now and then and not every game has to be the same.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Understandable, and I get wanting to get it back on track since it slowly divulged into bigger and bigger trades (partly from my pure boredom at the end), but I also don't think crazy is a bad thing now and then and not every game has to be the same.

If it makes sense as a pure hockey trade, no doubt... but for me, it's in the vein of two teams struggling who are willing to make big moves (i.e. Jones for Johanssen)

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I would agree to an extent. I’m okay with a little unrealistic if there is a good reason (Ekblad to BUF, BUF looks like an up and coming team, FLA looks to be on the trend down). The trades I don’t like are the ones like the Drai for Matthews trade.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
I would agree to an extent. I’m okay with a little unrealistic if there is a good reason (Ekblad to BUF, BUF looks like an up and coming team, FLA looks to be on the trend down). The trades I don’t like are the ones like the Drai for Matthews trade.

Yeah, but in the end we're here for fun and to pass time. And honestly while insanely unrealistic, that Matthews/Drai trade in particular has way less of an impact on the game than the superstar for 9 futures trades. It didn't really affect either team. Realism is nice, but I personally prioritize enjoyment over realism in these games. Guess it's just different perspectives.

Reactions: hockeynorth

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Yeah, but in the end we're here for fun and to pass time. And honestly while insanely unrealistic, that Matthews/Drai trade in particular has way less of an impact on the game than the superstar for 9 futures trades. It didn't really affect either team. Realism is nice, but I personally prioritize enjoyment over realism in these games. Guess it's just different perspectives.

I would debate that.

If it's entertainment, hey, I get it. But I kinda hope HFBoards is for people who think they know more than the folks playing chel 20.

As an actual GM, I'd say "Well, I know what Matthews does in Toronto... why would I trade him for a guy who may not have the same chemistry?"

Same true for EDM.

Again, that's just me. Enjoyment is good, but if you're gonna play a GM game, be a GM, not a trade monger.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Here’s the thing though. When you have teams that give up their entire future and you know they’ll be awful as soon as next season but are absolutely stacked the first season, it takes the fun out of it for everyone else.

Reactions: TribalPhoenix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad