GM Game #2 by SJS, HOCCA & JW

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Not that I really care since I am a rebuilding team, but Simmonds would clearly get more than that on the open market.

I would like to hear the agent on that one! ;)

I'm not the agent but Simmonds' production is down each year since 2015-16, and he's on pace to continue that decline this year. This takes him to age 35 and if he continues his decline he'll be overpaid in the final 2-3 years. Five years of security at that price for an aging forward who plays a physical game seems fair to me.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I'm not the agent but Simmonds' production is down each year since 2015-16, and he's on pace to continue that decline this year. This takes him to age 35 and if he continues his decline he'll be overpaid in the final 2-3 years. Five years of security at that price for an aging forward who plays a physical game seems fair to me.

I tend to agree. I think that contract would be a nice deal for Simmonds. That said, Okposo, Lucic, and players of that ilk have received higher cap percentages.

Rantanen however....

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yep exactly my reasoning. Also he sent an article that talked about how Simmonds wants to stay for his whole career so I gave a bit of a discount

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
:wild

Mika Zibanejad, Kevin Hayes (50%)

:rangers

Nino Neiderreiter, 2019 1st (MIN), and Kirill Kaprozov

I didn’t want to move Zibanejad, but a prospect like Kaprozov was to good to turn down. Best of luck to Zibby and Hayes in Minnesota.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
:wild

Mika Zibanejad, Kevin Hayes (50%)

:rangers

Nino Neiderreiter, 2019 1st (MIN), and Kirill Kaprozov

I didn’t want to move Zibanejad, but a prospect like Kaprozov was to good to turn down. Best of luck to Zibby and Hayes in Minnesota.

:wild confirm

Tough to move a prospect such as Kaprizov, but he's at least 2 years away from coming over to North America and ultimately may never make the jump across the pond, so we decided to put all our chips in so to speak on this current team that we feel has all the necessary pieces to win. Adding Mika and Kevin give us tremendous depth up front to go a long with our strong defensive unit and solid goaltending.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
:flames

Looking for a top-4 RHD. Preferably defensive minded. CGY 1st and all propsects OTB as well as some of our forwards.

Also looking for a starting or 1A/1B goalie and a cheap depth defenseman.

Up against the cap so would need any deal to be pretty even capwise. also would pay to lose some overpaid contracts.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
In related news a few trades to announce.

To Buffalo:
Ryan Merkeley

To SJ:
Our 2019 1st

To Ottawa:
Right to FLA 2nd
2019 4th
Conditional 2020 2nd if the sharks miss the playoffs

To SJ:
Right to SJ 2nd
The removal of the right to SJs 1st in 2019 if they miss the playoffs. They will receive our 2020 1st through Karlsson trade.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
In related news a few trades to announce.

To Buffalo:
Ryan Merkeley

To SJ:
Our 2019 1st

To Ottawa:
Right to FLA 2nd
2019 4th
Conditional 2020 2nd if the sharks miss the playoffs

To SJ:
Right to SJ 2nd
The removal of the right to SJs 1st in 2019 if they miss the playoffs. They will receive our 2020 1st through Karlsson trade.

:sabres confirm

I essentially make one of my 1st round picks a few days early, who's already had some development. Markley is a talented, offensive defenseman who should fit our defense for years to come. We feel he, dahlin, pilut and guhle give us 4 of the leagues best young offensive defenseman

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The :sharks have submitted an offer sheet to William Nylander which he has accepted. The offer is five years @ $8.1m per year. The :leafs have 24 hours to match the offer and retain Nylander.
Wait how does this happen? It’s the middle of the season. Also SJ doesn’t have 8.1 in cap space. Also it’s the deadline so past December 1st so Nylander can’t sign it. Right?

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
The :sharks have submitted an offer sheet to William Nylander which he has accepted. The offer is five years @ $8.1m per year. The :leafs have 24 hours to match the offer and retain Nylander.

San Jose does not currently have the $8.1M in cap space available to accommodate such a contract, therefore this contract is rejected pursuant to subsection 11.6 of the CBA:

"11.6 Rejection of SPCs and/or Offer Sheets; Subsequent Challenge and/or De-Registration
of SPCs and/or Offer Sheets.
(a) Rejection of SPCs and/or Offer Sheets. In the case of an SPC or an Offer
Sheet, as the case may be, that is filed and rejected by the League, the following rules and
procedures shall apply:
(i) If an SPC or an Offer Sheet is rejected: (A) because it results in the
signing Club exceeding the Upper Limit, or
(B) because it does not
comply with the Maximum Player Salary, or (C) because it is or involves a
Circumvention of either the Club's Upper Limit or the Maximum Player
Salary, and:"

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I was working on another deal to open up cap space. I said to Rr let's rock and roll, but didn't mean to post it quite until I had cleared the cap space. That said, if it's after the deadline there is no point in doing so (wasn't sure on the ruling for that)

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
I was working on another deal to open up cap space. I said to Rr let's rock and roll, but didn't mean to post it quite until I had cleared the cap space. That said, if it's after the deadline there is no point in doing so (wasn't sure on the ruling for that)
Yes to clarify Nylander won't be factoring into anyone's playoff run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad