GDT: GM#5: The Half smokes @ the Cheesesteaks - 6pm?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
That they've put up such strong defensive performances despite being without their biggest off-season defensive addition speaks volumes as to how hungry this group has started the season. Big picture I remain unsure if the top six has enough punch. But improved play from McMichael, a recovered Wilson and still improving Strome helps. It's still a bit light but the possibility of adding Leonard in the spring also should help and discipline/buy-in goes a long way.

Nice forecheck by Vrana starting the sequence leading up to Chychrun's goal. But Mangiapane deserves better...more ice-time than ~13-14 minutes. The move to make IMO is moving Protas down to the third line, perhaps even at center, and Mangiapane to Ovechkin's line. Protas forechecks well enough and brings reliable two-way play but hasn't exactly cemented that spot. The production upside isn't substantial.

Strength up the middle when going up against the best of the best is the better plan. Again, it's early but given the style they're preaching even with some patience it's hard to fathom the end-game with a player like Lapierre that's just not dogged enough IMO. In time it may happen, perhaps with improved strength, but in the meantime he also looks like a player with suspect confidence. I don't know that I'd have unlimited patience that he possesses the type of skill set they need up the middle. If he at least showed some kind of Perreault-like insta-energy one could grasp the fit. As-is, though...

Reactions: qc14

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Yes, agreed. I thought it was nuts that he kept popping up as trade fodder all summer. You don't part with a young asset like McMichael who hasn't reached his full potential. Moves like that almost always come back to bite you in the behind.

The worst was some tool over on RMNB (I read occasionally but never post there) who asked if we offered CMM and a 1st would that be enough to get Rutger McGroarty from Winnipeg. SMFH

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
I think Laviolette is kinda underrated by the fanbase. He was handcuffed by the goaltending and the rapid decline of the #1 & 2C’s.

Would’ve been interesting to see how the team fared in ‘19 and ’20 had they been able to land Lavi instead of Reirden. Then again, if Reirden hadn’t already been promised the job, I think Trotz would’ve extended after the cup win. But I digress.
I still think Reirden was the right choice at the time and it's easy to remember most of the fanbase wanted him even earlier ... The Capitals Should Fire Barry Trotz

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
On the PP, opponents don’t feel the need to overplay Ovie’s office, likely because the chance of missed passes, puck mishandles, or the slowness he’s showing in setting up to shoot don’t require it. So the whole left side of the PP is kind of a black hole of stagnation right now, and it puts more pressure on the puck handler, the wall F, and Carlson. So I kinda like the idea of Ovie in the bumper: his immobility matters less, fewer pucks to retrieve or fumble, and less counter-attack risk

Reactions: wickedwitch

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Thankfully the D tightened up after the 1st, we've been getting away with a lot of mistakes/odd-man rushes and relying on G to save our bacon so far this season

Seems like Dowd/Duhaime are the example/tone setters out there, great to see healthy Dowd again, he was banged up so much of last season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad