GDT: Gm #3 - FLAMES (2-0-0) vs. GOLDEN KNIGHTS (3-0-0) 7 p.m. MT / Sportsnet

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Getting regulation wins over Edmonton and Vegas is huge, it might only be 3 games in, but those are wins that later on can make the difference in winning a division or even getting the third place playoff spot later on.

If we lose to Buffalo, Carolina or Pittsburgh coming up so be it. I just hope we can get that second win over the Oilers too.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
This game has all the makings of the first loss of the season. I just hope it's for the Knights.

dgNwh0v.gif

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Good determination in this game, didn't change the gameplan down early and didn't get discouraged when it seemed like Thompson wasn't going to get beat. 4th line was excellent, drew penalties, very physical, had some good chances too.

HUH?!!? : Brett freaking Ritchie

Great : Chris Tanev, this guy is made of ice. Zero panic in his game like ever. You can see his presence just calms everybody down. Mangiapane I thought was excellent too. Coleman & Backlund straight outworked Vegas every shift they were on the ice.

Really good : Lucic when he's on is the perfect 4th liner. He was on tonight. I don't think I've seen Weegar lose a puck battle yet, great compete. Huberdeau pulling the fancy this game. I think this player might drive us crazy sometimes(like Gaudreau & Tkachuk did at times) but when it works it is pretty to look at. Toffoli is working hard, scored a goal and probably should have had two more. PK I thought was aggressive and effective most of the night, other than one breakdown.

Good : Kadri made some poor decisions, but skated well and looks like he's gelling with Dube & Bread. Zadorov there's just going to be some good and bad with this defenseman, but the good is outweighing the bad so far this season. Dube was decent, still skates himself into trouble too much. Hanifin and Andersson were fine, coming around to Andersson on PP1. He keeps the blueline as good as anyone in the league.

Fine : Rooney, Stone. Lewis played ok but too slow on several instances. I guess we'll see how long he lasts on the 3rd line. Marky had that brutal 1st GA but he's been fighting an illness and was solid after.

Starting the season with wins over the Avs, Oilers, and Golden Knights is definitely encouraging. These are the teams(with STL and DAL) I imagine will be our toughest competition in the West this season.

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Good game boys!

Thought the top line finally had a decent game at es. Hope they build on it, though I think they still need to reconfigure the top 6 at some point.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I'm really liking how well Kadri and Mangiapane can both control the play but also lead the rush. Really opens up Dube to be a guy who just drives the net aggressively all the time. Had 2 or 3 grade A chances just by being a fast guy driving the middle letting two strong threats draw attention.

Huberdeau finally looked like he's gelling with the team abit more. Everyone has already shouted out Toffoli, but I believe they mentioned it on the broadcast just how it's a bit different going from team to team as a cerebral playmaker that relies a lot on reading where guys are gonna be. You can't make some of the spin-o-rama passes Huberdeau does without a lot of familiarity with where guys are, and where they want to be. But that line looked dangerous regardless.

And finally this game just showed how valuable a 3rd line of Backlund and Coleman can be. Even with a guy like Lewis with them they can easily control possession and be a dominant pairing in their own right, it just so happens they have two lines ahead of them that are better. Really, really like that depth

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Of course I miss the game Huberdeau has 2 points in. Good to hear he had a solid game and that Weegar continues to impress

I see it's only taken 3 games for him to finally try the spinorama pass:laugh: Florida fans are all too familiar with it..

Bounces R Way is right. Huberdeau will frustrate you with the fancy playmaking, maybe it will even infuriate you at times. Be ready to see him pass up prime scoring opportunities, make an unnecessarily complicated pass, and even giving the puck away by flubbing it or being stripped of the puck because he seems to be overthinking.

All of that is offset by the fact he can make passes very few players in the league can and at a succes rate better than most.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Just dropped by to say hey.

The Flames have the start to the season they needed. I read the whining about the additions to the team and it just makes me laugh. The first and second lines have 3 real games under their belt... 3

Then consider the Flames have beat Colorado, Edmonton & Vegas... IMO they are on the right track. I can't wait to see these guys after 25-30 games together.

This team is much closer to competing for the Stanley Cup than any time in the last 8 years.

Some people must quit expecting games and a team like when Johnny, Chucky & Sean were here. They NEVER delivered in the playoffs

Johnny & Chucky bolted for the doors. Tre paid MTL to take Sean so they could sign Kadri and Weegar long term.

For better or worse Huberdeau, Weegar & Kadri are here for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Fig

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Of course I miss the game Huberdeau has 2 points in. Good to hear he had a solid game and that Weegar continues to impress

I see it's only taken 3 games for him to finally try the spinorama pass:laugh: Florida fans are all too familiar with it..

Bounces R Way is right. Huberdeau will frustrate you with the fancy playmaking, maybe it will even infuriate you at times. Be ready to see him pass up prime scoring opportunities, make an unnecessarily complicated pass, and even giving the puck away by flubbing it or being stripped of the puck because he seems to be overthinking.

All of that is offset by the fact he can make passes very few players in the league can and at a succes rate better than most.

Not saying Huberdeau won't still pass up scoring chances but Gaudreau learned to take his shots a lot more under Darryl, I think with time Huberdeau will shoot more especially if the team is putting up 40 shots a night he will feel left out!

Reactions: Felidae and Fig

Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Nov 22, 2006
Probably isn’t the right thread to ask this question, but here it goes anyway… other than attending in-person, is there a way to watch Flames games that isn’t broadcast by Sportsnet? The announcers are SO annoying, especially Loubardious last night, like, just call the f’n game, stop spitting stats, stop talking about players family’s, who you know, how you know them, how hard and professional you think they are. Even “feel good” grandfather Hrudey is annoying. Just call the game…. I might have to try to time the radio PbP with the tv, or probably just mute the TV.

Regardless, really fun to be at least seeing the flames early success…. I’ll focus on the positives.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Probably isn’t the right thread to ask this question, but here it goes anyway… other than attending in-person, is there a way to watch Flames games that isn’t broadcast by Sportsnet? The announcers are SO annoying, especially Loubardious last night, like, just call the f’n game, stop spitting stats, stop talking about players family’s, who you know, how you know them, how hard and professional you think they are. Even “feel good” grandfather Hrudey is annoying. Just call the game…. I might have to try to time the radio PbP with the tv, or probably just mute the TV.

Regardless, really fun to be at least seeing the flames early success…. I’ll focus on the positives.
Last night's game was also broadcast on ESPN in the States, so yes.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Just dropped by to say hey.

The Flames have the start to the season they needed. I read the whining about the additions to the team and it just makes me laugh. The first and second lines have 3 real games under their belt... 3

Then consider the Flames have beat Colorado, Edmonton & Vegas... IMO they are on the right track. I can't wait to see these guys after 25-30 games together.

This team is much closer to competing for the Stanley Cup than any time in the last 8 years.

Some people must quit expecting games and a team like when Johnny, Chucky & Sean were here. They NEVER delivered in the playoffs

Johnny & Chucky bolted for the doors. Tre paid MTL to take Sean so they could sign Kadri and Weegar long term.

For better or worse Huberdeau, Weegar & Kadri are here for the foreseeable future.

Haven’t seen your ass in a long time. Can we reminisce about arguing about monahan and Gaudreau? Those were more innocent times

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Last night's broadcast was irregular hosts. It won't be them again to my understanding.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

One thing you can try, but I am not sure of the potential for success, is if you have a surround sound system and you disable a specific channel (center?), you can actually get rid of the announcers and listen to game sounds only.

I use a 2.1 sound bar, so I can't do this. You'd need a 5.1 or higher system.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I was thinking about this last night, but I hope Darryl tells him to add the back of the net as one of the potential recipients of his spinorama pass. No one really does this in the Western conference, so I think it could take a bunch of team's goalies by surprise and even if they know to defend against it, it would tire them out faster if they have to be that sharp all the damn time.

I don't anticipate too much frustration with Huberdeau's spinorama pass due to how defensively diligent our team is. But what was also hilarious was that Dube tried it as well last night. It's only a matter of time where it spreads to other players. This is going to be a double edged sword, but damn if it ain't a breath of fresh air for now. :)

Reactions: Felidae

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin

I mean, we went from Gaudreau, with his propensity to pass up prime scoring opportunities to make unnecessarily complicated passes, so I don't think anyone will really complain.

Reactions: Felidae

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
One thing you can try, but I am not sure of the potential for success, is if you have a surround sound system and you disable a specific channel (center?), you can actually get rid of the announcers and listen to game sounds only.

I use a 2.1 sound bar, so I can't do this. You'd need a 5.1 or higher system.

I may have to try this next game. If I remembrer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad