GDT: GM#3: Dallas @ DC - 7pm-ish

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
idle "knock on wood" type thoughts:

Chychrun is a significant upgrade over last year's Jensen. Don't know if that will bear out in microstats but he's so much more talented that even his "safe play" comes through with a snappiness we didn't see last season

Agreed. The main difference I see with Chychrun is that he's a crafty and creative player from the blue line. This element of his game is something Orlov used to bring to the team.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Agreed. The main difference I see with Chychrun is that he's a crafty and creative player from the blue line. This element of his game is something Orlov used to bring to the team.
It seems like he and Carlson think in similar ways, perhaps due to having played such similar roles in the past. So far it's meant that they seem to work well together and instinctively cover for each other, it can almost feel like having two of them out there

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
He seemed to think DeSmith tripped him.
I get where he's coming from but also he wasn't strong enough on his stick, he can do better than that. Trying to hook that with the toe can be tough but if his shoulders were over the process a little more he'd have had it.

Honestly if the dude would have just left his feet Bobby Orr style I think that's in the net.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
1729212295606.png

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
nice play by McIlrath to end the period.

RE: Lappy, I'm not worried--yet. It's only game 3, and I still think he's legitimately the player we saw late last year. But I suspect he's battling fatigue and the lack of training in the short offseason. He may have to play himself back into game shape. If he's not looking better by game 10, then I'll worry.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I get where he's coming from but also he wasn't strong enough on his stick, he can do better than that. Trying to hook that with the toe can be tough but if his shoulders were over the process a little more he'd have had it.

Honestly if the dude would have just left his feet Bobby Orr style I think that's in the net.
"If he'd just copied one of the greatest plays in NHL history, he'd have scored" is an interesting take. ;)

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
I'll present the dissenting opinion: I think Lapierre has looked fine tonight. He had a nice pass to Mangiapane (and then Desmith made his best save of the same) plus drawn 2 penalties.

Reactions: Calicaps

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
"If he'd just copied one of the greatest plays in NHL history, he'd have scored" is an interesting take. ;)
I'm no NHL hockey player or anything but there have been times where I've been forced to choose whether to control my upper or lower body, and know that it won't be both. This just seems like one of those times to me

If he'd have gotten himself out over his skates he'd have the angle he needed to curl and tuck that puck on the forehand, it's his relatively upright body position that caused him to lose the puck off the toe

I'm not saying it's easy or that he even had the opportunity, just that he needed to 100% sell out and go way over the puck in order to score

Reactions: Calicaps

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I can't shake the image now that I've put it in my brain, Mangiapane is an Oshie. His hustle and backchecking, the weird little way he uses his slightly-too-long stick to open up and pass to the forehand side...

it's kind of uncanny now that I'm looking for it. He doesn't have that pitbull build but almost all of it is there

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
I can't shake the image now that I've put it in my brain, Mangiapane is an Oshie. His hustle and backchecking, the weird little way he uses his slightly-too-long stick to open up and pass to the forehand side...

it's kind of uncanny now that I'm looking for it. He doesn't have that pitbull build but almost all of it is there
And doesn’t have the scoring touch or shot. I look at him more as like a Konowalchuk who can skate.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad