Pre-Game Talk: GM 1 | Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Flames | Wednesday, October 9 | 7:00PM PST | SPAC

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

I don't really feel like this is accurate.

If Garland is ready for game 1, I wouldn't be surprised if Raty is bumped out and Suter shifts into the middle.

It's just that you might as well have Raty at center if he's in the lineup as Suter can play the wing just fine. I know Raty has played some wing in the AHL but I don't know if the coaches want him there in the NHL.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
My guess is Baines will end up cut if only because of Suter's flexibility. They can keep Raty at center for a few games and shuffle in Aman if he struggles with Suter going back to center.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
SQV3Lk7.gif
chongli.gif

Reactions: Tables of Stats

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My guess is Baines will end up cut if only because of Suter's flexibility. They can keep Raty at center for a few games and shuffle in Aman if he struggles with Suter going back to center.
It's weird, don't know if I'm alone on this, but I feel like I've completely 180'd on my impression of Bains over time.

When he was doing well at the AHL level, I had really high hopes for him and highly advocated for him more than others did, but now that I've seen more of him in preseason, despite doing really well and seemingly/possibly on the verge of making the team, I've reversed my opinion to thinking that he's so limited that even when busting his ass off and willing himself towards success, he plays so much like he's barely hanging on by a thread that I've kind of lost hope/interest in him.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think the Canucks have a deep enough team right now to survive out of the gate without Joshua and Demko.

But impossible to underrate how much of a hole this leaves in the lineup, if they're out longer than a month or so.

The Canucks simply play a lot bigger with Joshua in the lineup, who's a beast on the down-low forecheck. And of course Demko was second in Vezina voting for a reason. At full strength, he's one of the NHL's best.

But it's a long, tortuous season. And having both guys back and fully healthy and ready to go will be huge as the schedule grinds on.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad