Post-Game Talk: GM 1 | Vancouver Canucks lost to Calgary Flames | 5-6 (OT) | Sprong, Boeser(2), Garland, & Miller | Not Good Enough

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I mean, Silovs is what he is really. He's a big athletic guy who didn't have a technical background until he got here, and he lost development time because of the pandemic.

I know people had these big expectations after the playoffs but I didn't really see it. He was a mediocre AHL starter who didn't even play a starter's load to date. A proper development curve was for him to play 50+ games in the AHL with sheltered 10-20 games at the NHL level. IMO he needed to show dominant AHL numbers and tread water at the NHL level.

It was asking a lot for him to be the full time backup this year and I argued that it might mess with his ceiling (see above and feel free to look at my post history). It was ludicrous for him to take on the #1 job this year, so thank god they signed Lankinen.

The hardest thing in the NHL is consistency and he wasn't even consistent in the playoffs to my eye. And he's shown that he can show up and rise to occasion in short tournament-type situations, but now this is the regular season where everyone will have a decent scouting report on him.

Anyways, these issues (tracking, fighting through screens) aren't really surprises to me. He's going to have to learn and adapt to this level. It's not surprising that he will have games like this and as long as he bounces back on a regular basis this is to be expected in his normal development curve. I'm still bullish on his potential overall.
also once again

he wasnt every good in the playoffs if you look at his stats

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
The upside is none of the problems tonight are really that difficult to fix.

Forbort's 1.5m 1 year deal is easy to move off of if needed and having guys like Juulsen, Friedman and Brannstrom available means we have options.

Same with Silovs, awful start, but that's why we signed Lankinen as insurance.

Petey's the biggest issue, but who really knows what's going on there.

Wonder if a deal could be made around Lilligren.
No, f*** no

Liligren is a sub 1~1.5m player making 3m with terms, he's also not very good in front of his own net

stay the f*** away from him

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Forbort-Desharnais were unplayable. That was the most predictable outcome imaginable.

It's like asking a fridge and a front door to play defence together.

Bring up Brannstrom and see what we have there. Forbort in particular needs to sit, he brings absolutely nothing to the table.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Ive said it since he was pressured in to signing his contract from media/fans/management - Pulseless Pete does not want to play in Van.

He is just unhappy. No real injury, just making excuses.

Trade him asap imho.

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Ironically, I was upset having to PVR the game since I was busy last night. Turns out that was for the best.

Can't say I'm remotely surprised Forbort and Desharnias didn't look good. Little disappointed Petey's first game was... lacking to say the least. I don't want to jump the gun here but he needs to get rolling this season or we're not going anywhere.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Ive said it since he was pressured in to signing his contract from media/fans/management - Pulseless Pete does not want to play in Van.

Trade him asap imho.

This doesn't really make sense to me.

If he didn't wanna sign he could have just not signed. And if he didn't want to play out the rest of his time here with everyone knowing he didn't want to stay he could have asked for a trade and the team would have accommodated that so they can get assets back instead of him just walking.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Trade him asap imho.
How can you say he does not want to play here after signing an eight year deal?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Fell asleep after the second. I went to sleep expecting to not like the score in the morning. I didn't like how they were playing...very reminiscent of Green hockey in trying to defend the lead for 50 minutes.

Reactions: supercanuck

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
It’s only “one game” but this team particularly has had moments like these early in the season over the past several years which snowballs into dysfunctional-ness. Whether it’s the roster constructed, players not being dialled in, or fragility, weaknesses need to be addressed immediately.

So if Forbort continues to play like ass by the 3rd game, Lankinen/Silovs are letting in soft ass goals by the 5th game, our depth guys being useless by the 6th game, Pettersson playing timid, then it all needs to be addressed immediately. Regarding Pettersson, sitting down with him and chat about potentially revamping his entire model of play style.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
It’s only “one game” but this team particularly has had moments like these early in the season over the past several years which snowballs into dysfunctional-ness. Whether it’s the roster constructed, players not being dialled in, or fragility, weaknesses need to be addressed immediately.

So if Forbort continues to play like ass by the 3rd game, Lankinen/Silovs are letting in soft ass goals by the 5th game, our depth guys being useless by the 6th game, Pettersson playing timid, then it all needs to be addressed immediately. Regarding Pettersson, sitting down with him and chat about potentially revamping his entire model of play style.
It's only 1 game ;)

Is Pius Suter injured? I only watched a period and half and they were winning but Heinen was not good with Miller and Boeser.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Problems abound in that game. Forbort and Desharnais should not be playing together, still think it was pretty obvious from the onset the bottom pairing shouldn't be anti-stacked like that. Not overly enthused about the Hoglander-Raty-Garland unit, hopefully, Suter is back soon and Joshua soon-ish. Pettersson unit had some good shifts in the first period (along with most others) then checked out for the last two.

Replacing Forbort with Brannstrom or Wolanin would probably be a notable improvement.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I liked Drance's analysis this morning. He pointed out that last season the team had a formula for their bottom pairings where all they had to do was clear the puck to the neutral zone and the forwards would dump it in and try to dominate play on the walls. This worked well with defencemen who have limited puck skills but negated any sort of transition attack. This season they're trying to build more transition offence into their games, which has to start with plays by the defence in their own zone.

From the eye test, this did not go well last night. The Myers - Soucy pairing struggled to connect passes, and the Forbort - Desharnais pairing struggled to do anything right at all.

The way management went about building the defence this season may be fundamentally misguided if they want to make transition plays. Big, strong players who can move the puck are in short supply and are expensive. Maybe the coaches can adjust things but this probably goes beyond just doing a couple more drills - they may need to evaluate their personnel and deployment.

Perhaps they could rejig things like this:

Hughes - Desharnais / Friedman
Soucy - Hronek
Wolanin / Brannstrom - Myers

It would have been better to work out these kinks in the pre-season, obviously. But last night was a good wakeup call. The Canucks' top priority needs to be a 2nd pairing defenceman who can move the puck.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Desharnais was on the 3rd pair of the Oilers who went to the Finals, Forbort was on the 3rd pair of the Bruins who went to the ECF, both were excellent penalty killers for their respective teams, our D is solid just give them time to adjust to new teams/systems.
Forbort barely played in the post-season and was eventually scratched against Florida due to being a total train wreck 5 v 5 and on the PK. Desharnais was a -9 in the playoffs as well and looked god awful against Vancouver. The Oilers PK was largely due to their aggressive forward structure.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Sprong cherry picking up 2 goals, not supporting the D, then getting benched lol, he scored a goal and looked good early and then everything went to shit lol

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Together they don’t make much sense. Both aren’t puck movers.

The frustrating thing is that in the preseason game in Edmonton they played Wolanin-Desharnais as the top pairing and they had a fantastic game against a loaded Oiler squad. That pairing worked with Desharnais able to defer to Wolanin to move the puck.

Then we go back to Forbort there and Forbort is so awful with the puck on his stick that Desharnais has to be the guy trying to transition it ... and it doesn't work at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad