Post-Game Talk: GM 1 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Oilers Win 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Just watching the game now.

Chiasson is killing that top line. Can someone dunk Boeser in a bacta tank or something?

Podkolzin has been invisible so far, but that isn't terrible, as no one in the bottom six has really stood out to me, save Hoglander.

Myers needs to do THAT more often.

OEL has been pretty good, considering he seems to be invisible to the refs.

Horvat was great, I liked Garland's aggression, and Pearson...has also been there. He just took Smith down after Russel ran him, so good game for him based on that alone.

Poolman seems alright, but I would have liked to see him react a little quicker on that PP goal.

I'm surprised Burroughs was in tonight, but he and Rathbone have been good so far, and that little exchange in the second period was great. It's a shame no one was able to score there.

I haven't really noticed Hughes in a good or bad way. Some good passes and what I'd expect, but I was thinking he'd have a few more chances set up already.

What the hell is Dowling doing on the PP?

Lamikko seems like a solid 4th line guy, but hasn't shined so far. Nothing flashy.

Demko kept this from being much worse, I know how it ends, but am glad I've watched through so far in spite of overall result.

I have about 9 minutes to go as I am finishing up.

Reactions: Indiana

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I just find it funny how he's deflecting blame onto a young rookie when this has been a recurring problem the past 2 seasons and even in Pre-season.
Are you sure he's deflecting blame ?....That would be a very weird thing to do for an experienced coach to do. wouldnt it?...Throw a rookie under the bus in his very first game, to protect his own ass....?

How do you come up with this shit?..Probably your worst post.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What a fun game to watch... Loved that they clawed back for a point.

I'll start with the rough...

Miller was horrendous... Killed so many plays.. turnover machine tonight. He will obviously get a better.

Boroughs.. I like him... Kid is game and in there for the battle. Physical... But felt he was getting exposed as the game went on.

The PP was terrible... Much too much forcing of the puck into spaces where there was no room (Horvat in the slot)... And Pettersson/Hughes were insanely casual.. Then Miller, ugh...

PK.. (mind you we we're probably facing the best power play in the history of the league)... We were waiving at passing lanes left bodies wide open... I expect it to look better versus anyone not the Oilers.

The good... Everyone else.
Liked what I saw... Even Highmore who had saw very little value outta prior to tonight...
Chiasson had a great net front presence and a handful of chances... Even 5on5..
The Physicality!
The team D vs McDavid 5on5 was solid..
Thought we were the much better team when McDavid wasn't on the ice..
Garland can fricken skate... You could see how he led the Coyotes in pts/gm... He will definitely get his this yr...

A lot to be excited about.... I think we are a playoff team. Boeser and Motte returning pushes Chiasson and Highmore down the lineup... And Dowling out...

Demko solid... He will be dreaming of that shootout goal against tonight tho...

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Effort was there at times but I hesitate to say they were good.

Strong first 5-10 minutes and a strong final 10-15. Listless through the middle 30 minutes. Certainly wouldn’t say they deserved better than a point.

Game 1 but many of the canuck calling cards were there….too many men in the ice penalty (almost 2!), curious lineup decisions, lack of consistent 5-on-5 pressure, lack of chances from the bottom 6, losing the possession battle, making opposition goaltenders look good, needing outstanding goaltending to get something out of the game, boring PP, losing the special team battle….

Individually I’m not going to label players as for sure being a #1 d-man etc after 1 game.

OEL played well as did Poolman but at times I also got the sense that they were sort of clinging to the edge a bit. Have to see what happens moving forward.

Hughes I think was Ok. He was a bit sloppy but I think his game suffers a lot from forwards who simply aren’t very good at helping the blueline out. Whether on the back check or giving them a pass on the breakout.

Myers is a disaster but he hurt Keith….

Rathbone-Burroughs had a good night but they did get caught running around at times. Still it was better than seeing Schenn out there.

up front you had Hoglander doing what is necessary. Literally no one else stood out to me in a truly positive way. A very large chunk of the forward group were passengers at best and at worst they were Miller and Pearson. Garland has a motor but thus far he’s a motor that gets very little done.

Let’s see what happens moving forward.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Overall I’m okay with that game and the result. The many positives outweigh the minor negatives.

Most importantly our defense looked pretty decent, even against the best players in the world in McDavid and Draisaitl. Myers had what I would consider to be a great game for him, even aside from the hit. Okay every game like that and we won’t be talking about his contract.

OEL looked really good… Enough said. I liked Hughes defensive play, even though he looked like he was trying to do too much offensively at times, I think that will all settle in.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Liked what I saw a lot.

There was some rustiness that will evaporate in 2 or 3 games, missed passes, bad shots, but this is going to be a really fun team to watch.

People really underestimate how poorly last year went, and how much improved we are roster wise.

We have added Podkolzin who can hopefully be as effective as Hoglander last year.

Hoglander who is incredibly talented, a forechecking demon, and a quick puck mover. He's improved significantly already.

Pettersson who barely played and had a terrible year by his standards.

Garland and Ekman Larsson at the expense of league detritus players (not disrespecting them as people, but no longer contributors).

Dickenson who wasn't especially noticeable tonight, but you can see is a good forechecker, and has good defensive hockey sense.

Poolman who i think was quietly really solid. A couple of times when McDavid tried to challenge Hughes and OEL to the outside, they did well to make him take extra strides, and Poolman supported them perfectly to take his lane away.

Petey looks like a superstar again.

I'm not sitting here saying. I think we are a top 5 team in the league or anything, but assuming we get most of our guys back soonish and are relatively healthy I stick by my prediction of 9th-14th in the league.

Reactions: Nomobo and DFAC

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Did I watch a different game? Not getting the Garland hate train.

I thought he had a great motor, he created chances and space for himself with his shifty edgework, drew a PP, agitated the Oilers with his second efforts in the crease, and came away with a point. Not much more you can ask from his first game.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
New an improved roster but unfortunately the same crap head coach

throws podz under the bus for the too many men…guess podz caused all the same penalties in pre season and last year ???

poor decisions and then somehow takes credit for our 2 lucky gaols as part of his “program”

and the media just sucks it up

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Tough to see a team where the forward group was supposed to carry the team and lead the way wind up with 0 goals on opening night, but it's early.

Hoglander was all over the place, would've rather seen him play on the PP over Dowling and Chiasson.

I got ripped on Twitter for saying it was dumb to put Chiasson on PP1 after coming off a PTO, man does he love shooting right at the logo. Would rather see someone else play down low on the top unit while Boeser is out. Get Hoglander or even Podkolzin in there for a try.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Tough to see a team where the forward group was supposed to carry the team and lead the way wind up with 0 goals on opening night, but it's early.

Hoglander was all over the place, would've rather seen him play on the PP over Dowling and Chiasson.

I got ripped on Twitter for saying it was dumb to put Chiasson on PP1 after coming off a PTO, man does he love shooting right at the logo. Would rather see someone else play down low on the top unit while Boeser is out. Get Hoglander or even Podkolzin in there for a try.

Chiasson is more of screen the goaltender, tip the puck and bang in a rebound type of PP player....and a mediocre one at that. He's not a be at the side of the net and shoot guy. Guess which way they chose to use him on the PP? He's also not a guy who should be seeing more than 5 minutes of ES time. And they used him in the exact opposite manner. Honestly Chiasson if he is to be on the PP should be on the second unit where he can camp in front of the net while the rest just put pucks on net.

The coaching staff does everything backwards until the players themselves essentially force them into correct decisions.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Close, but this is more like it:
1. Myers
2. Myers
3. Myers
If it was the playoffs I can understand the love, but it's friggin' game 1 of an 82 game season. I also understand many really like that Myers has managed to look like more than a $6m roadkill on the ice (because he threw a hit). I also understand many dislike Keith (I have no opinion of that, I haven't seen enough of him in his personality), but come on.

One big hit, that wasn't even that clean (more like a shove and the blood was from crashing the helmets into eachother) and now he's the best player on the ice and some even say now he can play like garbage for a while, because of one hit? An "exempt from the pitchforks" card.

Come on. I understand the humor part, but this is getting out of hand. I for one would much rather have seen a clean win without Bettman/ NHL parity loser points given out than some hit on Keith in game 1. It wasn't even the best hit in the NHL that night.

--
And oh, I told you OEL would and will deliver. In the right enviroment (some skilled players to cooperate with) he's gold. Petey and Hughes will be fine, that they missed basically all of training camp is a big factor and that's on the moron with a tie.

Last edited:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
If it was the playoffs I can understand the love, but it's friggin' game 1 of an 82 game season. I also understand many really like that Myers has managed to look like more than a $6m roadkill on the ice (because he threw a hit). I also understand many dislike Keith (I have no opinion of that, I haven't seen enough of him in his personality), but come on.

One big hit, that wasn't even that clean (more like a shove and the blood was from crashing the helmets into eachother) and now he's the best player on the ice and some even say now he can play like garbage for a while, because of one hit? An "exempt from the pitchforks" card.

Come on. I understand the humor part, but this is getting out of hand. I for one would much rather have seen a clean win without Bettman/ NHL parity loser points given out than some hit on Keith in game 1. It wasn't even the best hit in the NHL that night.

And oh, I told you OEL would amd will deliver.

i dunno, I loved that hit. f*** DK

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I know Green's roster management can be questionable, but I find it hard to believe that Chiasson plays next game. If Boeser returns, I think Chiasson comes out of the line up. Even if Boeser does not return, I think Green may replace Chiasson with Petan. In that scenario Hoglander moves to the first line and Petan fits in nicely on the third or fourth line. Chiasson simply does not fit this roster and I think that must be obvious at this point, even to Green.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
When your playing McDavid/Draisaitl there's always going to be times your clinging to the edge. Overall I liked the game.

They started strong & were the better team early, then EDM took over in the 2nd, but they battled back in the 3rd.

Individually I thought alot of guys had moments.

Really liked the effort from Hoglander, Horvat & Garland. Lammikko was noticable & looks like a great 4th line pickup. Even Highmore was flying out there.

Chiasson is the whipping boy but I thought he was fine, some good work to maintain possession on a few PPs. Miller was the guy that was off, singlehandedly lost possession like 4-5 times.

Ekman-Larsson & Poolman looked great, good debuts for both. Wouldn't mind seeing more of OEL on the 1st unit. And Hughes did really well in the hard matchup against McDavid, that's an encouraging way to start his season.

Overall great effort to get the point.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Did I watch a different game? Not getting the Garland hate train.

I thought he had a great motor, he created chances and space for himself with his shifty edgework, drew a PP, agitated the Oilers with his second efforts in the crease, and came away with a point. Not much more you can ask from his first game.

i agree. he looks fine. just not as in synch with his linemates as i would like.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad