Post-Game Talk: GM 07 | Canucks def. Penguins | 4-3 (Pettersson, Sherwood, Miller, Bains)

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Am I the only one who felt that 4-3 was a flattering score for the Pens? Lankinen wasn't bad, but I felt this was his worst game so far, and the Pens goalie played very well. It should have been 5-2 or even 5-1 Nucks imho.

Uh what. Lankinen was the only reason we got points. He faced tons of high-danger chances despite the shot clock.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
My biggest takeaway from that game is that it's visually really funny watching Brannstrom skate circles around a Descharnais that is constantly standing still. You'll straight up see him jump up into the play and then on the way back, skate past Descharnais to retrieve the puck from his own end.

Because VD is essentially a refrigerator on skates

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I mean you can see what this team could be. Quick strike off of solid systems play. But they lean too hard on a half-assed version where technically everyone is doing their job but they are super passive about it. In this mode they don't look to push the pace or the counterattack and the team is just low energy.

Seems like one member of every pair except H-H has no idea what they are doing a lot of the time. When they're not spending enough time in the other end it really puts the onus on the defence and right now there's a lot of developing that needs to happen.

Love Lankinen, should have been only two goals against. Would like to see Silovs again soon to see if he's progressed but it's hard to go away from Lanks.

Reactions: calnuck and Jay26

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
A pretty amazing 2nd period (or half of one). But I don’t really love this Travis Green-like propensity to just go into a defensive shell and hope you keep the lead.
Agreed but it's not really the same because the green teams were an actual shell of incompetence. I think now the issue is that they have the structure but they use it as a crutch and an excuse to be passive.

It just works better if they're looking to counter off the system.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
You do realize it could have been 3-0 or 4-0 coming out of the first if Lankinen hadn’t made two highlight reel saves. Then he held them in the third.
IMG_1090.jpeg

canucks dominated the majority of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad