Globe Article on Cash Crunch: Good Luck Marc Bergevin

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Not sure why he needs to be wished ''good luck'' for this aspect. Seems clear there will be an amnesty buyout and it will solve our Gomez problem.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Not sure why he needs to be wished ''good luck'' for this aspect. Seems clear there will be an amnesty buyout and it will solve our Gomez problem.

Well, he's already got commitments totalling 200k above the new cap mark, he's got 7 players to sign (including Subban) and that will become 8 when Gomez is off the books.

So he's got Subban and 7 other players to sign with approximately $7M.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Well, he's already got commitments totalling 200k above the new cap mark, he's got 7 players to sign (including Subban) and that will become 8 when Gomez is off the books.

There will be teams with cap space interested in players.

The worst thing that can happen is a mini 2010 Hawks off season and start flipping players.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
How did we get such a payroll for such a below average team? Gainey,Gauthier,Youppie who caused this?:sarcasm:

All of them are to blame.

but if the league and the PA settles in the middle we're going to be looking at a 63$m or 63.5$m cap, just little room to maneuver.

PricePkPatch*

All of them are to blame.

but if the league and the PA settles in the middle we're going to be looking at a 63$m or 63.5$m cap, just little room to maneuver.

There won't be a salary reduction or amnesty?

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Why can't they just trade Gomez? It would only cost a team $4.5 million for one season.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Sure, but our biggest player to sign next year will be DD. After him, it's LL, and then it drops to role players. Not exactly impossible.
Buyout Gomez, then try to move Kaberle or Bourque. That should create the necessary room.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I'm not worried at all. The cap won't be 60m next season either, I doubt it. Regardless, we gotta give it up to fkn Gainey. Gionta @5, Cammy @6 and Gomez @∞...

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
If the mark is indeed $60M, Gomez, Kaberle and Gionta will need to go. It is as simple as that. The wildcard will be Markov if he gets injured - again - and not able to play at the NHL level anymore.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If we get the amnesty buyouts out, which has to be part of this CBA, than kiss Gomers $7.37 M off that number.

We'd actually be at $52.83 M and at #8 on that list. If we could get rid of Kaberle we'd be at around 15th on the list.

I'm not too worried, especially that we'll be building with youth which is much cheaper and more cap friendly and we have more expiring contracts in the next couple of years.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Some teams have a dozen players signed, we have 16. We'll get one or two compliance buyouts. Seriously, we are far from in trouble.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Marc Bergevin was hired to be the General Manager of this team...part of his functions is dealing with the salary cap and manipulating it.

This is part of his job

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Some teams have a dozen players signed, we have 16. We'll get one or two compliance buyouts. Seriously, we are far from in trouble.

So aside from the obvious Gomez, maybe Gionta will have to go,good player but is he good enough for us to continue paying him such a high salary? I picked Gionta because of the fact that he would be appealing to any number of teams. I could single out Kaberle but seriously who wants him?

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
So aside from the obvious Gomez, maybe Gionta will have to go,good player but is he good enough for us to continue paying him such a high salary? I picked Gionta because of the fact that he would be appealing to any number of teams. I could single out Kaberle but seriously who wants him?

No, only Gomez will *have* to go. Gionta is our captain, our leader, and his salary isn't much more inflated with a cap that is at $60 million, especially if he returns to his production norms.

I actually assume Bourque may be the other one to go. Not because of a high cap=hit, but because of the term.

My two cents.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
No, only Gomez will *have* to go. Gionta is our captain, our leader, and his salary isn't much more inflated with a cap that is at $60 million, especially if he returns to his production norms.

I actually assume Bourque may be the other one to go. Not because of a high cap=hit, but because of the term.

My two cents.

Couldn't agree more. I also don't see a need to get rid of Gomez. I suppose it'd open up a spot for Galchenyuk next season, mind you...

I'd be upset if Gionta was bought out. He's a very useful player who just had a lot of bad luck with injuries last season.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
We have 4 big salaries coming off the books in 2014-2015, so next year is their last years of contracts. This should make them easier to trade if need be. Obviously I don't think i'd want to trade Gionta or Markov, but Kaberle could be gone and Gomez will be bought out if we can't find a trading partner. As another poster mentionned, if they buy out Gomez and trade Kaberle, it'll take 11.6 million off.

Scott Gomez- 7.357 million
Brian Gionta- 5 million
Tomas Kaberle- 4.25 million
Andrei Markov- 5.75 million

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Marc Bergevin was hired to be the General Manager of this team...part of his functions is dealing with the salary cap and manipulating it.

This is part of his job

we can only pray that he understands that better than the two previous GM's we were stuck with.

Looking at that list, us and Tampa & San Jose are the only other teams in the "top 8" not to have been a cup winner/finalist in recent years... SJ's been perennially close, and Tampa at least has two top-10/15 players in the world on the roster that they have to pay.

us? Gomez, Kaberle & Bourque accounting for 15M$ (or ~1/4) of our current payroll...

Bergevin's going to have to be a miracle worker if the cap drops that drastically, even with an amnesty buy-out (b/c on a 60M$ cap, Gionta, Markov & Cole @ 15M$ is problematic as well).

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Michael Grange ‏@michaelgrange
A couple of encouraging details: #NHL has agreed to two compliance buyouts/team in 2013-14; and variance on contracts in 20% range now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad