Speculation: Global Cap Space Available

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think what we would ultimately discover is that... Something simply has to give across the league in order for everything to work.

I just ran some very quick rough estimates of the top RFAs from Capfriendly... And just from the Top ~25 guys, you're looking at ~$85M in cap. Then on the UFA side the Top ~5 guys are getting ~$25M as well, so that would be $110M spent and still over 40 RFAs to sign and another 10-15 UFAs that would be getting more then league minmum at least.

Something's gonna have to give. Will be very interesting to see what unfolds. The cost to move a bad contract must be absolutely absurd right now. I can imagine Arizona being offered like a 1st + prospect just to take on say $3M in bad cap, and having management try to convince the owners of that team right now to say yes to the $3M.

Thanks for doing the leg work. From a fan perspective it feels like the entire offseason has grinded to a halt and a lot of the transactions that we've been anticipating simply aren't happening. I'm guessing things will shake free after the arbitration hearings but you can see how there isn't that many slices of the pie to go around.

I get that COVID had a big impact but I just don't see how the league can use cost certainty as a justification for knee capping upper echelon teams from staying together or getting better especially when everyone knows franchise values continue to skyrocket, when ticket prices continue to skyrocket. Just doesn't foster the feeling that you're getting an A+ product when economics is at the fore like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad