Movies: Gladiator 2

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Looks pretty good. Don't think anyone was asking for a Gladiator sequel but that's never stopped the studios before. What the hell is Denzel doing in it tho :laugh:

Well made period pieces are usually hits.
I am just happy that they nuked the original idea of the sequel being all about the political side of things

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah, I liked it right up until the rap song kicked in. I felt like they were pandering to the 18-23 tic tok demo using modern music. Went and look at the original trailer, what a stark difference. The trailer show 2 scenes Scott wanted to put in the 1st one, the Colosseum sea battle, and the Rino fight too, which looks pretty good. Ridely Scott knows how to deliver these epic movies, let's hope he delivers again.
I can't find youtube evidence but I swear the first instance of Gladiator I saw, maybe was a TV commercial, the trailer was just showing gladiator fights to the tune of We Will Rock You, or something like that.

And for all the people complaining about 'sequels' and 'out of ideas' personally I think that eventual movie quality aside this is the type of setup that works really well. When you have an original stand alone movie but can follow it up a generation later with a naturally occurring age progression, Blade Runner 2049 for example.

And for Ridley Scott considering the mess that Napoleon sounds like it was, I think this pseudo-historical time frame in the vast spanning Roman Empire works much better for him.

Reactions: kingsfan28

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I expect to be massively entertained. I think that’s the point. I’m even here for Denzel being full Denzel in some pseudo-historical, over-the-top Roman epic.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Trailers shouldn't be longer than 1:30 IMO.

When it's too long it starts running out of gas. Feels bloated.

A shorter trailer forces the editor to be more selective about the clips he/she is selecting.
I watched the trailer and feel like I saw the whole movie. Unless the reviews for this are overwhelmingly positive, I feel like the only way I'm going to watch this movie is on an airplane 5 years from now

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think a comment I read somewhere summed it up best...looks like the first Gladiator, only not as good.

I'm still gonna watch it, but probably not until it's available to stream.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Looks like it’s basically the same movie as the first one but now, instead of one Commdus, there are two evil emperors.
star-wars-second-child.gif

• Haha
Reactions: kingsholygrail

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The trailer has been getting lampooned, mostly for the hip hop song, and has 351K dislikes to 149K likes. Talk about a colossal misstep by Paramount. What they should've done, I think, is used Hans Zimmer's soundtrack from Gladiator to hit people with nostalgia. Then, if they wanted to quietly release this "modern" trailer afterwards, it would've been easier for people to disregard because they would've already formed a positive impression. Now, even if they make a better second trailer, it'll likely undo only some of the damage.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I wonder if the boomers felt like this when the media pandered to them and their money a few decades ago.

I don't have high hopes. Denzel Washington is great and he's been in great movies but this feels like "hey lets get a movie millennials liked back in the day, lets add a famous face everyone will recognize and take their money". Like others said, I'll check it out when it comes out on streaming. Maybe my first impression is wrong.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I wonder if the boomers felt like this when the media pandered to them and their money a few decades ago.

I don't have high hopes. Denzel Washington is great and he's been in great movies but this feels like "hey lets get a movie millennials liked back in the day, lets add a famous face everyone will recognize and take their money". Like others said, I'll check it out when it comes out on streaming. Maybe my first impression is wrong.
If they wanna nostalgia bait me, I need another Master and Commander.

Reactions: Beau Knows

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The trailer has been getting lampooned, mostly for the hip hop song, and has 351K dislikes to 149K likes. Talk about a colossal misstep by Paramount. What they should've done, I think, is used Hans Zimmer's soundtrack from Gladiator to hit people with nostalgia. Then, if they wanted to quietly release this "modern" trailer afterwards, it would've been easier for people to disregard because they would've already formed a positive impression. Now, even if they make a better second trailer, it'll likely undo only some of the damage.
Hard to beat Zimmer indeed. Whomever decided to go with this as a soundtrack for the trailer should be smacked upside the head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad