Roy
Beliveau
Crosby
Morenz
Richard
Hull
Harvey

I can only assume post #2 forgot Gretzky

I have Wayne ranked where he's supposed to be ranked. BTW, if this is an all-time list including players from all leagues, not just the NHL, then there should be more European content here. Hasek, Jagr, Ovechkin, Makarov, probably Fetisov, should all receive some serious consideration. Makarov, for instance, is increasingly seen as the greatest Soviet forward of all. Where should a player of that magnitude fit into all of this? I honestly don't know with complete certainty. The biggest problem is, who do you take out? Out of the thousands of players who have played the game at the highest professional level, to come up with a list of only 10 means some really special players are going to be left out.

Reactions: Sentinel

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think there are sort-of two ways to do this: (1) Ranking players within limited contexts (teams, seasons, peak years, etc.) and (2) ranking players overall, which means considering the entire career, the longevity, etc.

The thing is, we all have somewhat different ideas about what constitutes a substantially impressive period of time for (1). Obviously one season isn't enough. Two seasons isn't enough. Three not enough. Four? Probably not substantial enough. Five is getting more impressive. Six is pretty good. Seven is good. Eight is amazing. Etc. Call it "The Lindros test" -- if the player had considerable but not overwhelming team success, reached the level of NHL scoring leader/Hart winner, but only lasted six or seven years at prime level, can that player be considered for the Top-10? Guy Lafleur is similar, except he won a bunch of championships in the NHL.

Then, regarding (2), some people punish players with longevity but bigger fall-offs in the (usually) latter parts of their careers. Take Mark Messier vs. Joe Sakic, for example. Messier had basically nothing but elite player-seasons from 1981 to 1997, winning 2 Hart trophies and 6 Stanley Cups, both on two different franchises. Sakic also had incredible longevity from around 1989 to 2007, before injuries and age stopped him. But because Messier had no team success from ages 37 to 43, people seem to hold that against him, which they don't do with Sakic, who played on a much worse team (in fact, one of the worst of all time) from 1988 to 1992, and which missed the playoffs five of his first six seasons. Personally, I would say if anything ages 19 to 25 is a more vital part of the career than 37 to 43, but for some reason a lot of people can't get over the player's final seasons.

So, in conclusion, I dunno.

I will say that Wayne Gretzky from January 1981 to May 1988 is the greatest player ever, given a context.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Excluding Goalies

Gretzky
Orr
Howe
Lemieux
(and then, in no particular order...)
Beliveau
Hull
Richard
Harvey
Crosby

The next chunk of 11-20ish includes guys like Bourque, Shore, Potvin, Lidstrom, Morenz, Jagr, Messier, Lafleur, Mikita, etc.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Gretzky
Howe
Orr
Lemieux
Hull
Richard
Beliveau
Bossy
Harvey
Ovechkin

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
If you categorically exclude goalies, then your list is by definition not a "top players list".

Here's my list of top 10 all-time hockey players. I exclude all non-goalies, since it's too hard to compare:

Roy
Hasek
Plante
Hall
Brodeur
Sawchuk
Dryden
Broda
Brimsek
Vezina

It's just my opinion. Feel free to include goalies if you want to.

Don't cry about it. Nobody's forcing your hand here, bud.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
I have Wayne ranked where he's supposed to be ranked. BTW, if this is an all-time list including players from all leagues, not just the NHL, then there should be more European content here. Hasek, Jagr, Ovechkin, Makarov, probably Fetisov, should all receive some serious consideration. Makarov, for instance, is increasingly seen as the greatest Soviet forward of all. Where should a player of that magnitude fit into all of this? I honestly don't know with complete certainty. The biggest problem is, who do you take out? Out of the thousands of players who have played the game at the highest professional level, to come up with a list of only 10 means some really special players are going to be left out.

NHL not specified so all of hockey may be considered.

Perhaps Makarov deserves the honour. Since his prime the former Soviet Union now Russia, has not produced an elite forward with a complete a game as Makarov brought to the rink.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Okay, I am going to think of a list with goalies. As it stands, I think Roy's the only one to be included.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Gretzky
Orr
Lemieux
Howe
Crosby
Beliveau
Hull
Roy
Richard
Jagr

Not necessarily in order and it's a very rough draft. I'm sure if I think harder I probably switch a few names around.

One huge component for me - which I feel doesn't always get enough importance here - is being the best player in the world. I wanted to include Bourque or Harvey but were either ever considered the best in the world? Top 2? Top 3 even regularly? I feel as though it should be a consideration.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Mine looks like this (I exclude goalies, too hard to compare IMO):

Gretzky
Orr
Howe
Lemieux
Beliveau
Hull
Bourque
Richard
Harvey
Crosby

I'm pleased you made the point about goalies, because that is something I've alway said about these kind of lists. The goalie position is vastly different and needs to be ranked on its own.

So my list. First the top four, which in my mind is a photo finish. If anybody went with anybody else from the top four at number one, I couldn't debate too hard.

1. Orr
2. Lemieux
3. Gretzky
4. Howe

That's it for aliens. Now, the best of the human beings.

5. Bobby Hull (okay, he's almost an alien if you see pictures of him in the past... and now for that matter)
6. Beliveau
7. Lafleur
8.Richard (although a worthy legend, I feel that he is often overrated in these lists because of his "mythic" rep)
9. Harvey
10. Crosby/Jagr

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick Hansen

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Mine looks like this (I exclude goalies, too hard to compare IMO):

Gretzky
Orr
Howe
Lemieux
Beliveau
Hull
Bourque
Richard
Harvey
Crosby

Gretzky
Orr
Howe
Forsberg
Makarov
Krutov
Hasek
Pronger
Selänne
Crosby

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Gretzky
Orr
Howe
Lemieux
Hull
Bourque
Roy
Harvey
Beliveau
Jagr
No. 11 Ovechkin

I almost didn't put Beliveau, personally I find him to be overrated. Also contemplated switching Harvey w/ Potvin.

Reactions: Jetsfareast

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
If you categorically exclude goalies, then your list is by definition not a "top players list".

Here's my list of top 10 all-time hockey players. I exclude all non-goalies, since it's too hard to compare:

Roy
Hasek
Plante
Hall
Brodeur
Sawchuk
Dryden
Broda
Brimsek
Vezina

Then it needs to be called "Top 10 skaters" or something along those lines. While any list comparing eras is wrought with difficulties, any list that mixes skaters and goalies is just goofy.

Now allow me to do a top player (excluding non-goalie) list:

1. Sawchuk
2. Roy
3. Hasek
4. Brodeur

(Dead heat. I would not debate anybody who had a different top four at number one)

5. Plante
6. Durnan
7. Parent
8. Esposito
9. Bower
10. Belfour

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Then it needs to be called "Top 10 skaters" or something along those lines. While any list comparing eras is wrought with difficulties, any list that mixes skaters and goalies is just goofy.

Now allow me to do a top player (excluding non-goalie) list:

1. Sawchuk
2. Roy
3. Hasek
4. Brodeur

(Dead heat. I would not debate anybody who had a different top four at number one)

5. Plante
6. Durnan
7. Parent
8. Esposito
9. Bower
10. Belfour

Parent and Esposito are too high

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad