Give Gauthier a shot?

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Young players can still round out parts of their game in the nhl.. It's not unheard of that a player actually hits another gear offensively that they never had while in the nhl. I think him playing with someone like Winnik would help him out quite a lot. Lots of comparisons between those two.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Players like him are the reason the AHL exists. He's simply not ready for NHL action but has the tools to one day be a useful NHL player under the right circumstances where he can be sheltered by 2 top centers to shoulder the offensive load.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If he earns it, sure.

I doubt his offensive game develops any furtger in the lower levels. The Leafs might as well get some use out of him

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Give him a shot and let him slide to the AHL if he doesn't impress in preseason+9 game stint. It's really that easy. I know a lot of people are mad the offense isn't there, but hockey players dont' come in one mold. You can't just try to make a team of Ron Francis and be mad when you lose.

Given his size, I'd rather he go to the minors and adjust. Its true for the hulking behemoths of the juniors as well as the undersized guys that you need to adjust, having guys that are taller and stronger means you won't be able to get away with much so you might as well get some seasoning in, not to mention the AHL squad can give him some good minutes. They'll probably end up running Nylander, Froese, Gauthier down the middle.

I think Gauthier will be one of the Leaf prospects that hangs around the team. Maybe they see him as a Hanzal or Maholtra type player, and that's great. I could see alot more of these prospects get shipped out in a package to bring in a quality top line talent instead.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
If he does well in pre-season and training camp I'd give him 9 games, same goes for Nylander and Marner.
We don't have the roster space to give 3 guys a 9 game trial. We currently have 14 forwards, 8 defense-man, 2 goalies. Aside from Casey Bailey (whose waiver exempt due to his inexperience), I believe that guys we send down to the minors before the season starts have to clear waivers.

I would personally send TJ Brennan down to the minors. Because I don't think he'll get claimed. And I would send down Casey Bailey to gain Top 6 pro experience in the AHL. Before we call him back up. This would give us a roster of 22 players. 1 free spot. Then give Mitch Marner a 9 day trial before he goes to the London Knights. William Nylander and Frederik Gauthier will both be playing for the Marlies. So there's no rush to give them their 9 games right away. They will be living and playing in Toronto and can be called up on as needed basis when injuries start to pile up and guys get put on long-term injury reserve.

Last edited:

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I think he will make the team this year. If not, then next year for sure. He is a perfect #3C/#4C. Babcock will love him and use him in many situations. The kid is elite defensively.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Whether or not he's "ready" doesn't really matter. I don't think management have touted a slow, steady, methodical approach to their young players to have 1 or more on the team in october. Let him among others marinate. Once players are dealt at the deadline, then maybe there's a spot for him to get a sniff. Other than that I think alot of players currently expected to play for the marlies will have to wait until 2016-2017. Which is fine.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
If he earns a spot? Sure.

Too many people hung up on how we're "giving away" roster spots by signing players. Prospects shouldn't just be granted a spot on the team, they have to work for it.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If he's going to develop his offensive game, I think he'll need some AHL seasoning.

I want him to reach his full overall potential, not just bring him up ASAP because he might arguably be ready for a defensive checking role in the NHL on a thin team.

Lethalsniper007

Aug 2, 2005
Give him a shot and let him slide to the AHL if he doesn't impress in preseason+9 game stint. It's really that easy. I know a lot of people are mad the offense isn't there, but hockey players dont' come in one mold. You can't just try to make a team of Ron Francis and be mad when you lose.

Given his size, I'd rather he go to the minors and adjust. Its true for the hulking behemoths of the juniors as well as the undersized guys that you need to adjust, having guys that are taller and stronger means you won't be able to get away with much so you might as well get some seasoning in, not to mention the AHL squad can give him some good minutes. They'll probably end up running Nylander, Froese, Gauthier down the middle.

I think Gauthier will be one of the Leaf prospects that hangs around the team. Maybe they see him as a Hanzal or Maholtra type player, and that's great. I could see alot more of these prospects get shipped out in a package to bring in a quality top line talent instead.
He's another Andropov

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Every players path to the NHL is different, but I could see Freddys being a lot different than our other prospects. It wouldnt suprise me to see him start on the 4th line with spot PK duties, and move up the lineup from there.

He's the kind of guy I could see Babcock wanting under his wing.

Dubas wants him to develop his offensive game. To me that says 2nd line AHL.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
A 40-50 point production will suffice for Gauthier, he is going to be our elite #3C.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Gauthier has the size and defensive awareness that he might have the best odds of Leafs forward prospects to challenge for a spot.

But I think Leafs management will want him in the AHL rounding out his offensive game. IMO

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Of course he gets a shot, same as everyone else it training camp. It's not like it's already been decided that he's not allowed to play for the Leafs this year, just very unlikely that it happens.

Chalms55

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
He definitely needs to earn the spot if he wants it. I could see him getting a couple games to start the season, but believe that he will spend the majority of the season in the AHL. Could get another shot after the deadline when other guys are inevitably traded.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
If he earns a spot in TC then he will have earned a spot.

Trading a 20 year old kid moving from junior to pro cuz he doesn't earn a spot in his first TC = N.A.I.F.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
He's going to the ahl for 2-3 seasons, some of you need to take a lap. Honestly I see him starting as the 1C in the ECHL for about 3-4 months then he'll be moved to be the 2c on the marlies. Starting in the east coast league doesn't mean hes not AHL caliber... its quite the opposite. Right now Nylander is the de facto 1C on the marlies. I don't think that its out of the realm of possibility that he joins the leafs at the trade deadline, at which time Fred would be able to play more of a prominent offensive role in the AHL. There is simply no possibility that he is the 4c for the leafs out of training camp, that literally doesnt benefit anybody. Expect to see some of the "expected marlies" start the year in the ECHL, definitely be ready for that.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Every players path to the NHL is different, but I could see Freddys being a lot different than our other prospects. It wouldnt suprise me to see him start on the 4th line with spot PK duties, and move up the lineup from there.

He's the kind of guy I could see Babcock wanting under his wing.

Move up the lineup from there? You mean move up a MAX of 1 spot over his career. And that if he is very, very good and lucky.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: