Giordano/Yandle

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
I would give absolutely nothing good for Giordano. He is an undrafted guy who is having success with a team missing playoffs without any pressure. You can't be sure this type of guy will continue to have success in another system in a city where you got to win. Also he is 31 years old.

Giordano is an incredible defenseman, probably top 5 in the league. It doesn't matter if he's not on a team with playoff or cup aspirations, that still doesn't negate the impact he has on a team throughout the season. The Flames simply didn't have a good enough team to make the playoffs, especially offensively. Also I fail to see how him being undrafted has any importance, he has developed into an elite player in this league. Honestly, everything you said to discredit Giordano has no importance at all.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
2 great, GREAT players, but with Markov, Tinordi and Beaulieu in the system I don't want to waste assets on a left side defenseman. If we were to get a D - man, I would aim one of Gudbransson/Bogosian. Both could be available since Eklund and Trouba are now te new saviors in their respected clubs.

That and a freackin left winger to push Galchenyuk to center.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Title says it, what would you give up for either one of them? Likely gives us one of the best D core in the league & would be a huge add.

I don't think Giordano is available, so unless the Habs are offering Price, Subban Pacioretty or Galchenyuk, Calgary is not budging.

Yandle is available, but he is another guy like Beaulieu-Subban-Markov, doesn't really fit a need. If we add a d-man it should be a shutdown type.

It doesn't matter if we get them as long as Therrien is still the coach.

Our system is the main problem.

Systems don't win or lose games. You have an over active imagination.

I'd rather go after Tyler Myers. The price wouldn't be prohibitive,

That's a bad situation...1-the Sabres want a lot for him(asking Detroit for Mantha or Nyquist) 2-he has a bad contract(4+ years at 5.5 mil AAV) while not playing very well.

If he was on a better contract and the price was reasonable...sure, sign me up, but trading a Scherbak/Tinordi/Beaulieu for a guy playing poorly with a big contract is unattractive to me.

I don't think we can afford to trade for big ticket players like that. Hopefully we'll be able to consider signing one as a UFA, or find some other bargain moves that don't look as flashy up front, but pan out well.

We can afford it...it's just a matter if we WANT to afford it.

If you make a blockbuster then you have to give up 2-3 young pieces, those pieces are not available as your cheap young talent in 2-3 years when your cup window is open. Cup winners in the cap world usually have 2-3 young guys making pretty big contributions and not making a lot of $$$. Hard to win a cup with everybody in their prime making full income...

Examples:

2014-Pearson Toffolo Muzzin
2013-Bickell Saad Stalberg Leddy
2012-Voynov Quick

Having guys like Scherbak McCarron etc on the way, they may be the cheap talent that helps win a cup.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Giordano is an incredible defenseman, probably top 5 in the league. It doesn't matter if he's not on a team with playoff or cup aspirations, that still doesn't negate the impact he has on a team throughout the season. The Flames simply didn't have a good enough team to make the playoffs, especially offensively. Also I fail to see how him being undrafted has any importance, he has developed into an elite player in this league. Honestly, everything you said to discredit Giordano has no importance at all.

I'm not saying he is bad or anything. But top 5 really? You don't evaluate a player based on his 2-3 best seasons you evaluate him on his whole career.

We don't need a guy who will be outstanding 2-3 years and then return to what he was before. We need someone who will be good for 6-7 years and i'm not convinced at all Giordano is this guy.

Giordano is 31 years old and he started to be recognized as a top d man 3 or 4 years ago at the very most.

I tell you if you give Galchenyuk and a 1st for Giordano the Flames sign immediately.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
This Galchenyuk/Giordano thing is crazy talk, let's leave it at that. The Flames will no doubt keep him around anyway.

Yandle isn't what we need.

Sekera, I'd definitely make a move for him. I think he'd probably be the less expensive of the bunch to boot.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I've been making Giordano trade proposals for over a year now, unfortunately I no longer think it's a possibility or even a reality.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I'm not saying he is bad or anything. But top 5 really? You don't evaluate a player based on his 2-3 best seasons you evaluate him on his whole career.

We don't need a guy who will be outstanding 2-3 years and then return to what he was before. We need someone who will be good for 6-7 years and i'm not convinced at all Giordano is this guy.

Giordano is 31 years old and he started to be recognized as a top d man 3 or 4 years ago at the very most.

I tell you if you give Galchenyuk and a 1st for Giordano the Flames sign immediately.
No you don't give Galchenyuk but Giordano is a stud and has pretty much been for the past 4-5 years. People first of all don't watch late games so he's under the radar. Also his offensive stats are not incredible because he was pretty much stuck on weak Flame teams and playing in a much tougher western conference. But he's always been an incredible shutdown d, very physical, just a rock back there. This year he actually has some support and his numbers are up there, I think he even leads the nhl in points for defensemen. He would be scary on a powerhouse team and Flames know it, that's why he's their captain and not going anywhere. Him and Brodie are definitely top 5 nhl pair.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
No you don't give Galchenyuk but Giordano is a stud and has pretty much been for the past 4-5 years.

And i'm not saying otherwise. What i say is i'm not sure he is the kind of guy who will still be dominating past 35 and will be that good for many years (like a Lidstrom, Bourque, etc ...). And to give what the Flames will ask he needs to be that kind guy since he is already 31. If he would be 28 i would be willing to give a lot for him but if he would be 28 he would cost a lot more than he already is.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
He's still a good Dman.

Sure, but he's not worth trading good assets away right now. This team needs to be able to develop more than 2 dmen per decade and keep them if they want to win anything in the playoffs.

Apr 28, 2010
Systems don't win or lose games. You have an over active imagination.

Obviously, our roster isn't perfect and needs some fixing (1C, 1RW, top 4 dman) but to say systems don't win/lose games is ridiculous. Cmon.

We're not talking about beer leagues here, dude.

NHL is a professional sport. Of course, systems do matter and make a difference.

Just look at Nashville and Calgary.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I don't find those players even remotely comparable, nor do I believe Giordano is even remotely available. I'd give a 1st/2nd + solid/average prospect for Yandle more than likely, but if you do that you better re-sign him. It would cost more than Vanek did but not way more I don't think.

Giordano at this point I think would cost you 4 pieces a 1st, a roster d-man who is still good(think emelin), a good prospect (think someone like Scherbak) and either another average prospect or mid-level pick.

He's not the kind of player you just trade away for Ryder, Halak & 2nd. I'm thinking 1st + Emelin + Scherbak + Hudon would get them to not hang up.

habitue*

Giordano is the anchor of the Flames team. No way he's gonna be dealt.

Yandle could be very interesting but oh so much expensive to get.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
As I've said on other threads, I really think another big minute eating Dmen is the one thing that's separating us from legit cup contention, which sould be our ultimate goal at this point. It's the one upgrade I'd be willing to give good assets on. Yandle would definitly be on my radar. Giordano sadly is not on Calgary's trade list,I just can't see them trading him in the near future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad