Get rid of the NMC

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
It isn't the players fault for the NMC and NTC, it's the GMs faults for giving them so easily, and in cases, without even discounts on the AAV.

It's the same with LTIR, the intent of the framework of it is good, until teams abuse it.

Reactions: Menzinger

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Makes free agency and the trade deadline boring as hell. Seems like every team has a couple scrubs with NMCs.
1 - no one in the league (players, agents or management) place any thought at all on making a free agency or trade deadlines more exciting

2 - what does a NMC have to do with free agency? If they are a free agent they have no contract, therefore, no NMC…so no impact. That’s for UFAs anyway and that’s really what people are interested in this time of year or are you looking at something different.

I do think NMC’s are given out way to easily though, but it’s hard to avoid when that expectation in the market has already been set

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Which is one of the main reasons players can’t or shouldn’t choose where they play.

Being an nhl hockey player is a privilege, if they don’t want to play in Winnipeg or Minnesota, they can go do something else for a living
Do you want to live in these places? In real life you get a choice - so do the players.

All the talking about southern teams but the NHLPA survey tells the truth. Fans (Canadian ones especially) should ask why.

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
Do you want to live in these places? In real life you get a choice - so do the players.

All the talking about southern teams but the NHLPA survey tells the truth. Fans (Canadian ones especially) should ask why.
Canada is brutal. The South has already risen. If you don't live in the Free State of Florida, Texas or Tennessee, might be time to reevaluate your life pal

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Who is talking about giving owners anything? These proposals are for the good of the league and the fans, if that happens to align with what might benefit the owners that's a different story. Fans are not here to be arbitrators of who the winners and losers should be between owners and players.

Where are your tears for journeymen AHL players who make a similar amount of money as normal people, no way near what the NHL guys and still have to put up with moving regularly? And these guys have to often live and work in smaller rinky dink towns compared to the NHL'rs all being in 32 metropolitan cities.

These guys are the top 1% of 1%, it is not some kind of atrocity that they have to get traded a few times in their career for the good of the league and the fans.
Thats what you’re failing to understand. Unlike the AHL journeyman, NHL players are the top 1% of 1% not just in pay but in their talent. They are an elite labor pool.

I'm not shedding tears for anyone. I'm simply explaining the economics of it. If there were a bunch of Connor McDavid's out there that fans would pay a ton of money to watch, then he wouldn't be paid as much as he is.

It's always strange to me when fans have so much resentment for the players of the sport they watch.

Which is one of the main reasons players can’t or shouldn’t choose where they play.

Being an nhl hockey player is a privilege, if they don’t want to play in Winnipeg or Minnesota, they can go do something else for a living

Like play in other leagues, which is what they'd do.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Thats what you’re failing to understand. Unlike the AHL journeyman, NHL players are the top 1% of 1% not just in pay but in their talent. They are an elite labor pool.

I'm not shedding tears for anyone. I'm simply explaining the economics of it. If there were a bunch of Connor McDavid's out there that fans would pay a ton of money to watch, then he wouldn't be paid as much as he is.

It's always strange to me when fans have so much resentment for the players of the sport they watch.

Like play in other leagues, which is what they'd do.

Well I stopped watching the NBA altogether due to how much resentment I feel for their players me first attitudes.

It would be a shame for hockey to go in the same direction.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

There is no resentment here. Just of the opinion that the league should be optimized for the entertainment of the fans and its long term success. Any any arguments about "players wanting control" are not applicable as players are more than compensated for their troubles. McDavid and other good layers are getting paid well... that is their prize for being a top players in their chosen sport, no player however is owed a NMC/NTC and a version of the league that gets rid of them is better for it.

How is it good for the league or fans?

More trades and movement are entertaining for the fans, make for a fluid league where things are always changing and keeps fan interest up. The way things stand right now entire teams are stagnated due to not being able to make real hockey trades, many in part due to these NTC/NMC.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
There is no resentment here. Just of the opinion that the league should be optimized for the entertainment of the fans and its long term success. Any any arguments about "players wanting control" are not applicable as players are more than compensated for their troubles. McDavid and other good layers are getting paid well... that is their prize for being a top players in their chosen sport, no player however is owed a NMC/NTC and a version of the league that gets rid of them is better for it.

More trades and movement are entertaining for the fans, make for a fluid league where things are always changing and keeps fan interest up. The way things stand right now entire teams are stagnated due to not being able to make real hockey trades, many in part due to these NTC/NMC.
Disagree. Fluid rosters are just as likely to lessen interest as heroes are constantly leaving so there is a weakened connection to the team. It's just catering to casuals who never bother to learn the roster.

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
I agree GM's do hand them out like candy but I think it's because with the cap, they don't have a lot of tools to lure a player from another team.
It's also almost always so that the team sells themselves to the player by acting like they are going to be loyal to him, at which point it's hard for them to argue against a NMC

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
You're entitled to your opinion, but I 100% do not enjoy all the movement and free agent frenzy.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Some of this was always baked into the pie when they went back to Winnipeg, a smaller and rather isolated northern city without an enormous pool of corporate support, a passionate but smaller fan base due to population size, and brutal winters.

I’ve family in Winnipeg. My dad was born there. It’s not a draw for older players with a modicum of choice.

This was never going to be an even playing field. Nobody promised the Jets 2.0 a rose garden. The rules were never going to be changed to accommodate the reality that it’s perennially going to be last on player destination wish lists.

That’s a team that has to be built through the draft, acquiring young players and seeing them depart more often than not after putting in their time. July 1st and free agency and veterans with trade protection is not how this team is going to thrive. That was never going to be a model for success there.

To some degree this applies elsewhere in Canada this week, due to climate and taxes, but all those factors are there to an extreme degree in that Manitoba market. I’m not honestly sure if we’re making an argument here to change the league’s rules or pointing out why going back might not have been ideal in the first place.

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014

This is false. You do not get a choice about your work location. The business decides it.

That's why the whole work from home thing is a huge sticking point for companies currently. They don't want to give up the ability to tell employees where their work location is. To them it's if you don't want to work where we tell you then you find a new job.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

There was more movement pre-cap. So you should advocate getting rid of the cap then.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

In the real world, it's still applicable.

As I've said repeatedly, the players are an elite labor pool. They have a say. Just because you think they're "compensated for their troubles" doesn't mean they don't.

And while you may think a lot of trades are fun, you're making a big assumption that it's entertaining for all fans. Fans also like knowing players are going to be with the team for a while. Are you going to shell out money for a player's jersey when they could be traded next season?

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
NMC wasn't an issue players requested in the past. Then Sather sent Redden and his entire salary in the AHL. That's when it became an issue for players and the NHLPA, and something was done about that in 2012.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The amount of NHL players with some kind of trade protection: 235

The amount of NBA players with some kind of trade protection: 11

NBA players don't need trade protection because they aren't afraid to A) Refuse to play for a team and B) Force their way to a team.

Their salary cap also allows for all kinds of overages so it's a different dynamic, plus their roster is half the size of an NHL one.

Most people dont have jobs where on a whim they can be forced to move. A friend of mines wife works for Amazon, they offered her a good deal to move to Dallas. She took it but was given like a 7 month heads up. NHL players can be traded at almost any moment during the year aside from TDL-end of season and the Christmas roster freeze. How's it fair to uproot your life in a moments notice?

archangel2

May 19, 2019
HEAVEN FORBID PLAYERS HAVE A CHOICE OF WHERE THEY WANT TO PLAY!! pieces of meat is all that they are.

Curios for those say in California, you turn up to work tomorrow and are told you have been transfered to Juneau, Alaska and you have to start in 2 days--how many of you would go? Don't say "well they get paid!" we all get paid to do a job and most of us like to control what city we live in

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
At first I read that as MMC and I was like damn someone really hated how fast he was at posting everything.

NMC should be limited to per team perhaps ? Like retention slots you can only have x amount.

Teams that have like 5, 6, 7 etc... do you really want that many especially when gms don't make players take less to get it ?
Yeah that jerk should really save some breaking news for the rest of us.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
....that whole collective bargaining agreement thing. Not sure if the OP thinks the NHL could just unilaterally remove NMCs without the NHLPA getting involved.

Maybe the OP should approach a player and tell him "I get that uprooting your family on short notice is rough, but don't you understand that I need the entertainment?"

Rofl....imagine the military unionizing and getting NMCs

False equivalence I know...especially since these guys get paid a shit ton more than our militaries. But it does kinda make me REALLY not give a shit if a millionaire athlete has to experience that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad