Get rid of the NMC

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
What are you willing to give up to get this? Players don't negotiate contracts and succumb to the pressure from a random user on the internet just because. Even limiting the number of slots is going to cost cap, escrow, or years of free agency.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Not only that, get rid of any kind of trade protection, get rid of NTC, NMC etc. Also limit max contract length to 5 years. Lock the players out if you need to, to get this done. In exchange the players get some perks, the ELC is reduced to 2 seasons and players get arbitration rights earlier in their career right after the 2 year ELC expires.

Telling players to ditch the NMC is like telling owners to drop the salary cap. Once secured, they will never give up their prize in CBA negotiations.

GMs can certainly decline to offer them to secondary support players, as they do today, but NMCs are a fact of life for the stars.

GMs have tools at their disposal to encourage the change- namely locking out the players until they get what they want.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Not only that, get rid of any kind of trade protection, get rid of NTC, NMC etc. Also limit max contract length to 5 years. Lock the players out if you need to, to get this done. In exchange the players get some perks, the ELC is reduced to 2 seasons and players get arbitration rights earlier in their career right after the 2 year ELC expires.

GMs have tools at their disposal to encourage the change- namely locking out the players until they get what they want.
Sure if you enjoy lost seasons more than you enjoy watching hockey.

God forbid the elite talent of the NHL have any control over their lives.

Reactions: Voight

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Sure if you enjoy lost seasons more than you enjoy watching hockey.

God forbid the elite talent of the NHL have any control over their lives.
I don't give a damn about that. These guys make more in their 10-12 year career than most people here will make in their entire life, they can handle having to move to a top 1% neighborhood in Raleigh from a top 1% neighborhood in Manhattan once in a while. A locked out season is a small price to pay for a more vibrant league with more movement, trades and activity.

Reactions: DamonDRW

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't give a damn about that. These guys make more in their 10-12 year career than most people here will make in their entire life, they can handle having to move to a top 1% neighborhood in Raleigh from a top 1% neighborhood in Manhattan once in a while. A locked out season is a small price to pay for a more vibrant league with more movement, trades and activity.

I love how you don't consider hockey players as humans, only as entertainment pieces.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton

U must really like televised poker and Survivor during the last big lockout. A lot of us sure as hell wouldnt go your route thats for sure.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I love how you don't consider hockey players as humans, only as entertainment pieces.
They are well compensated to do that. With the money earned even on the entry level contract they afford to get any education they want and stop playing hockey.

95% of fans here cannot do the same.

Reactions: PM88RU

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
And the owners make 10+ times what the players make. Let's give that group everything they want and f*** the little guys.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They are well compensated to do that. With the money earned even on the entry level contract they afford to get any education they want and stop playing hockey.

95% of fans here cannot do the same.

I don't see why this matter.

Hockey players are humans and deserve the right to negotiate their working conditions.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
"Make players rights worse so I can have more fun watching trades"

Maybe GMs should stop being stupid if they don't want to keep getting "taken to school" by agents.

Sure, but that would take GM’s not being a collective bunch of idiots

As soon as one GM stands firm, there are a dozen idiots standing in line to f*** everything up

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I don't see why this matter.

Hockey players are humans and deserve the right to negotiate their working conditions.

This is such a weak argument

The league has the right to run its business. Part of that business is having teams in different cities. Player movement amongst these cities is not against “human rights” nor does it create negative “working conditions”

What are you even talking about?

Reactions: Bust and JetsFan815

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
This is such a weak argument

The league has the right to run its business. Part of that business is having teams in different cities. Player movement amongst these cities is not against “human rights” nor does it create negative “working conditions”

What are you even talking about?

You are wrong, as indicated by the players including ntc/nmc in their CBA negotiations. It is clearly important to them.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Right. Because they make a lot of money they shouldn't have human needs or emotions. You know the owners make even more money, right?

I understand that they make obscene money compared to teachers, firefighters, most of us working stiffs, but they are not holding anyone at gunpoint. They are an elite labor pool that generates billions of dollars of revenue for the NHL. Their income is already artificially restricted so they're not even being paid market value. Yet you think they should be cool with having zero control over their lives too?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Yes? From the player perspective, they should do what they need to do, with no regard for fans, or owners, or anyone but themselves, that's completely rational, but are you implying you actually care about NHL players? That would be like caring about the owners.

Maybe GMs should stop being stupid if they don't want to keep getting "taken to school" by agents.

But to not be stupid as a GM would be considered to be collusion by the PA. If you're not stupid, ok, there's 31 other potential idiots. If every GM gets smart, that'll be a problem.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

People keep saying this but you lose the player, and then you lose your job. On the other side of that, you might even expect to lose your job before that contract is even up. It's very unlikely that you will see the GM's get together and not give in with a demanding NMC/term/big cap hit. Somebody will have to make their team better. There would be such a blowup if big time players remained unsigned because the GM's are not budging.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
You are wrong, as indicated by the players including ntc/nmc in their CBA negotiations. It is clearly important to them.

Being important to them is a meaningless statement and not the argument being made.

Making $100m is also important to them, I’m sure. Doesn’t mean it’s at all reasonable.

If this is such an important thing, why don’t all players just have NMC in their contracts from their ELC’s right through to retirement? The union could negotiate that into the CBA and refuse to play until it’s signed.

What a wonderful league we would have then! But I’m sure the players would be really happy making less money as the NHL dies due to teams inability to improve themselves

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

maybe-ehhh.gif

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Being important to them is a meaningless statement and not the argument being made.

Making $100m is also important to them, I’m sure. Doesn’t mean it’s at all reasonable.

If this is such an important thing, why don’t all players just have NMC in their contracts from their ELC’s right through to retirement? The union could negotiate that into the CBA and refuse to play until it’s signed.

What a wonderful league we would have then! But I’m sure the players would be really happy making less money as the NHL dies due to teams inability to improve themselves
How is it meaningless when you're trying to argue that having no control where you are traded to and when is not a negative working condition?

They don't all have it because there's a balance between what players want and what the owners want to give.

Anyway, it's a pretty useless topic because the NHLPA will not accept the removal of NTC/NMC.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad