German Prospects for the NHL Draft

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
What's happening with DNL? Why so many exceptional statuses? Why has it never been awarded to other good players before? If the 07 harvest, for example, was excellent and no one received it.

Well, it's not really that surprising that it hasn't happened before. The DNL has only been an U20 league for like 6 or 7 years, I think.
So, when players like Seider or Stützle were 15 they did play in the DNL, but it was an U19 league at the time, so it wasn't really comparable. And I am not sure there was even such an option for 14-year-olds to play U19, which also wouldn't be the same as playing U20 at 15.

So, really the only birthyears we could look at are 2003 and later.
And if we do that:
2003 - Not really any standout players that should have warranted consideration for exceptional status.
2004 - Julian Lutz may have been an option, but he was playing with Salzburg in the Czech U20 league at the time, if I reacll correctly.
2005 - see 2003
2006 - see 2003 and 2005
2007 - Honestly, while the 2007 group is pretty good and deep, the only possible candidates would have been Willhöft, Händel or Lewandowski.
Händel and Willhöft spent at least parts of their season in Sweden. Lewandowski may have been deserving, but far from a lock.
2008 - Not really any true standouts, and the only ones that could have come close were/are not playing in Germany.

Will be interesting to see if this really becomes more common.
I had been very skeptical about the 2010 group, but I am beginning to warm up to some these players. Some of 2011s started to look intriguing last season, but it is way too early to predict if anybody might become a candidate for exceptional status 2 years from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad