International: German Junior National Teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Hello guys, i‘m new here. I‘m also watching as many u-nationalteam games as possible. I‘m probably not that deep into scouting as other user here.
Regarding the U17 games, I am „shocked“. I always thought the 08s would be a bit more talented again, also in terms of depth. But there's no sign of that at all (despite a few absences) in these games.
I agree on @Maverick41 Top 3 players, but personally i would add Geppert. I couldn‘t see todays game but in the first two games he was (in my opinion) clearly on a higher level than most of his teammates. Yes, he also made some bad mistakes, but i still like his way of creating plays with his skill.

Looking forward to see the 09s next week.

First of all welcome to the board. Feel free to share any thoughts on our youngsters, any new input is appreciated.

I'll still wait until after the final game to go a bit deeper, but since you bring up Geppert, he would be my number 4 at the moment. After the US game (I couldn't see the game vs. Slovakia), I had Geppert grouped with Kettler and Kottner as the next trio.
And I thought he was one of the better players on the team today, probably third best behind Krestan and Penkin ahead of Rolsing.
I am not sure about his upside (need more viewings) but if nothing else Geppert will be that solid middle six guy who makes your team better. From what I have seen so far, I love his motor and he combines that with a fair bit of skill, just not enough at the moment to join the likes of Penkin and Krestan. Occasional lapses in decision making hurt him a little, but they are quite rare as far as I can tell after the total of 10 or so games I have seen of him last season and now at this tournament.

The game today still seems to be available here if you accept all the cookies.

Reactions: HockeyfanIN

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The roster for the U16 team is out. It can be found here.

As always, the listed roster may not be entirely correct. But assuming that it is, I am missing 3-4 players I would have expected to be there. In a couple of cases I would have been certain they would be a part of this, especially considering the number of players invited.
Of the players listed these are the ones I am most looking forward to seeing. This does not necessarily mean that they are the ones I consider to be the top players of this group. It's about a combination of intriguing numbers and limited or no viewings so far.

I am not considering goalies, so I'll start with defensemen in no particular order.
  • Pepe Kretzschmar: Like Max Penkin he has been granted "exceptional status" to play at the U20 level this season. But while I expect Penkin, to play U20 all or most of the time, I think Kretzschmar is more likely to split his time or even play mostly U17.
  • Marlon Henning: Had a strong season in Bayreuth and it seems he has now joined Ingolstadt which has grown into one of the better development programs in Germany.
  • Liron-Alex Pellizzari: Blew me away in my first viewing last season (big kid just dominating out there), not so much in the two subsequent ones (though he wasn't bad either just not really standing out much). Looks like he is going to play in Canada this season, so this might be a rare chance to see him again.
  • Tim Schaffarzyk: Rare chance to get to see him, since he is playing in the Red Bull Academy. Have heard good things about him and want to see for myself.

Now the forwards. Unlike with the defensemen, where many of the names surprised me, I expected most of the forwards to be invited, and I have already seen many of them.
  • Nikita Bloch: Same as Schaffarzyk on defense, I always like to take these opportunities to check out the Red Bull guys. One of the few guys I have not seen yet.
  • Lucas Dibelka: Only saw him once last season, and while he did not blow me away in that one game, his overall season in Riessersee was really good and now he has made the move to Mannheim. It is always intriguing when kids from smaller programs join one of, if not the best development programs in the country.
  • Felix Dierichen: Made it on my radar very late last season and I did not expect to see him here, although I am also not shocked. Eisbären are my favourite team, so I am always interested in their prospects.
  • Jerry Gerg: One of the guys only eligible for the 2028 draft, and similar to Dibelka he is making the move from a smaller program (Augsburg) to Mannheim.
  • Tim Hartmann: Gerg's teammate in Augsburg, who is also going to play in Mannheim this season.
  • Fynn Ludwig: Been wanting to see him again for a long time now. Only saw him once in a really crappy stream, that did not give me much of an idea about him.
  • Paul Martinovic: Pretty much the same situation as Ludwig. Both are 2028 eligible and have put up great numbers for their teams, but I have not been able to really see them play yet. Martinovic has of course some added intrigue considering he his coming from a fairly successful hockey family. It will also be a rare chance to see him play, since he has moved to play in Switzerland for EHC Kloten.
  • Jaden Switzer: No idea who he is, had never heard of him, plays in Canada, so I'll take the chance to get a look at him.

All this is of course assuming that there will be streams available. I have not been impressed with the stream availability for our teams when they play at home, lately. And I cannot make it to Füssen for the tournament.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019

As always, the listed roster may not be entirely correct. But assuming that it is, I am missing 3-4 players I would have expected to be there. In a couple of cases I would have been certain they would be a part of this, especially considering the number of players invited.
Of the players listed these are the ones I am most looking forward to seeing. This does not necessarily mean that they are the ones I consider to be the top players of this group. It's about a combination of intriguing numbers and limited or no viewings so far.

I am not considering goalies, so I'll start with defensemen in no particular order.
  • Pepe Kretzschmar: Like Max Penkin he has been granted "exceptional status" to play at the U20 level this season. But while I expect Penkin, to play U20 all or most of the time, I think Kretzschmar is more likely to split his time or even play mostly U17.
  • Marlon Henning: Had a strong season in Bayreuth and it seems he has now joined Ingolstadt which has grown into one of the better development programs in Germany.
  • Liron-Alex Pellizzari: Blew me away in my first viewing last season (big kid just dominating out there), not so much in the two subsequent ones (though he wasn't bad either just not really standing out much). Looks like he is going to play in Canada this season, so this might be a rare chance to see him again.
  • Tim Schaffarzyk: Rare chance to get to see him, since he is playing in the Red Bull Academy. Have heard good things about him and want to see for myself.

Now the forwards. Unlike with the defensemen, where many of the names surprised me, I expected most of the forwards to be invited, and I have already seen many of them.
  • Nikita Bloch: Same as Schaffarzyk on defense, I always like to take these opportunities to check out the Red Bull guys. One of the few guys I have not seen yet.
  • Lucas Dibelka: Only saw him once last season, and while he did not blow me away in that one game, his overall season in Riessersee was really good and now he has made the move to Mannheim. It is always intriguing when kids from smaller programs join one of, if not the best development programs in the country.
  • Felix Dierichen: Made it on my radar very late last season and I did not expect to see him here, although I am also not shocked. Eisbären are my favourite team, so I am always interested in their prospects.
  • Jerry Gerg: One of the guys only eligible for the 2028 draft, and similar to Dibelka he is making the move from a smaller program (Augsburg) to Mannheim.
  • Tim Hartmann: Gerg's teammate in Augsburg, who is also going to play in Mannheim this season.
  • Fynn Ludwig: Been wanting to see him again for a long time now. Only saw him once in a really crappy stream, that did not give me much of an idea about him.
  • Paul Martinovic: Pretty much the same situation as Ludwig. Both are 2028 eligible and have put up great numbers for their teams, but I have not been able to really see them play yet. Martinovic has of course some added intrigue considering he his coming from a fairly successful hockey family. It will also be a rare chance to see him play, since he has moved to play in Switzerland for EHC Kloten.
  • Jaden Switzer: No idea who he is, had never heard of him, plays in Canada, so I'll take the chance to get a look at him.

All this is of course assuming that there will be streams available. I have not been impressed with the stream availability for our teams when they play at home, lately. And I cannot make it to Füssen for the tournament.
Where is Pellizzari going to play? I haven’t seen anything about him leaving Germany.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Where is Pellizzari going to play? I haven’t seen anything about him leaving Germany.

I had not seen anything either previously, but when I checked the roster and clicked on his player profile his current team was listed as Delta Hockey Academy / CAN

So, I assumed that he is leaving Germany.

Reactions: pgfan66

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Ok, before I give my thoughts on the tournament as a whole, a few quick thoughts on the final game vs. Switzerland.

This was by far our best game of the tournament. Against Czechia and the US only the top line, and on some rare instances the second line, managed to create a little bit of offense here and there. Against Switzerland every single line looked like they might be able to create something offensively.
This was probably helped, by the circumstance that it was the 4th game in 4 days on an extremely short rest between games 3 (Saturday evening) and 4 (Sunday morning).

It was a solid effort throughout, but the first goal by Max Penkin, after a nice transition passing play from Krestan to Permitin to Penkin, stood out. To me Penkin was at times not only the best player on the German team, but the best player on the ice.

Now for the tournament as a whole (minus the game against Slovakia which I did not see). For the skaters I’ll go pair-by-pair and line-by-line (average ice time for each player in parentheses):

Goalies:
I’ll keep it short, since goalies are difficult to judge for me, especially on streams with a single camera angle and no replays. At this point I don’t any goalie has really separated themselves and I don’t think the goalie position will be a position of strength for this group.

Defence:
Daniel Kettler (24:33) – Darian Rolsing (23:07):
Clearly the top pairing for the team. They complement each other pretty well, with Kettler being the more responsible defense first player, while Rolsing played a more offensively minded and risky game. They made their mistakes (especially Rolsing) as most dmen do, when they play big minutes. And these two played in all situations and did about as well as you can expect when you are clearly outmatched every game.

Martin Mayer (17:02) – Jan-Luca Augst (17:25):
They were very consistent throughout the games I saw. Nothing spectacular but mostly solid. Probably the pair with the fewest mistakes. They didn’t generate offensively, but every now and then you could see there is some potential there, but maybe not against this kind of competition. If Augst was a bit bigger I’d like him a lot more as a prospect, but his lack of size will probably hold him back a bit.

Jonas Hördler (10:39) / Tobias Fischer (09:01) – Luis Gerhofer (14:58)
This trio of defensemen was really struggling against the US team and the Czechs. They did significantly better against Switzerland, but overall, I did not like what I saw from them. As I said before I don’t like to be too negative about these kids, so I’ll just say I hope this ends up being great learning experience for them and they will do better in the future.

Forwards:
Tobias Křestan (17:11) – Max Penkin (16:50) – Vyacheslav Permitin (15:56)
They were our best line by some margin and it was mostly driven by Max Penkin. And when it wasn’t Penkin then it was Křestan. Permitin played a quieter game, doing some of the dirty work, so his more skilled linemates could shine. The chemistry on this line improved from game to game as did their confidence, which was nice to see considering that the results were not exactly encouraging. Based on the 3 games I watched Penkin was our best forward and if he keeps this up, I definitely want to see him on the U18 team in April. He is that good.

Jakub Kottner (11:57) – Mats Geppert (15:54) – Toni Fürst (14:22)
While there was a clear gap between the play of the first and the second line, the gap was much smaller if you just look at Mats Geppert, who was clearly the third best forward on the team, and not that far off the top2. This line did pretty well overall, and Geppert was the one driving the play on this line all the time. Kottner also had his moments and was rewarded with the flukiest of goals against Switzerland. Fürst kind of always felt like coming up just short, no matter what he tried and no matter how much effort he put into it. Watching him in these games, I think there is a lot more there than he was able to show. And it’s not like he was bad it really looked like he was unlucky more than anything else.

Maximilian Strauss (09:57) – Leon Lell (12:16) – Luis Becker (09:51)
Jason Struck (11:24) – Florian Schloßnikel (12:16) – Andreas Kuhn (13:04)
Simon Röckl (11:03)

There wasn’t really a clear cut third and fourth line, and there was some shuffling going on with these players, so I’ll group them all together. Most of them did not really have much of an impact and are sort of a testament to the lack of depth of this group compared to the 07s.
I mean every one of them showed some skill here and there, and against Switzerland they were not bad, but the only one of them I noticed in a positive way in all 3 games I watched, was Schloßnikel.

To finish up my updated top 3 for the tournament:

1) Max Penkin:
On one hand it’s great that our best player was an underager, but it also a bit of an indictment on the 08 class. However, while the 08s are somewhat lacking overall, Křestan is still a good player, and Penkin outperforming him, even only slightly, is still very impressive. This was the first time I really got a good look at his skating and it was pretty good. I wouldn’t necessarily call it a strength just yet, but I was a bit worried it might hold him back, and am less worried now. I still think his hockey iq and creativity are his strongest assets, but there are really not many obvious holes in his game. He is just a really well-rounded prospect, which is unusual at his age.

2) Tobias Křestan:
Watching him in this tournament I kept thinking if he was a bit stronger and a bit more explosive, he would be really special. His vision and passing ability are definitely standing out in a good way, but he needs to up the intensity a bit if you ask me, if he wants to succeed against elite competition. I would not mind Křestan and Penkin to keep playing together and develop more chemistry. I really think they make each other better and they might be able to tilt the ice in our favor against many opponents.

3) Mats Geppert:
It was relly close for me between Geppert and Rolsing. While Rolsing had the best game between the two of them (against the US), Geppert was more consistent throughout the tournament, which is I’m giving him the number 3 spot over Rolsing. Geppert gave great effort every single shift and was mostly responsible defensively, something pretty much every other forward was struggling with in most of the games. On top of that he also showed more skill than any forward not named Penkin or Křestan. If I he was able to process the game just a bit faster and maybe get a bit bigger and stronger, he could take his game to a higher level.

HM) Darian Rolsing:
Rolsing made a few mistakes too many to stay in the top 3. If he can actually limit those mistakes without sacrificing his offensive abilities, he will turn into a really exciting prospect.
One thing I noticed with him on the penalty kill, that I found very encouraging was his ability to tie up the stick of the opposing forward that was looking for a deflection in front of the goal.

Fabianski

Feb 5, 2021
Ok, before I give my thoughts on the tournament as a whole, a few quick thoughts on the final game vs. Switzerland.

This was by far our best game of the tournament. Against Czechia and the US only the top line, and on some rare instances the second line, managed to create a little bit of offense here and there. Against Switzerland every single line looked like they might be able to create something offensively.
This was probably helped, by the circumstance that it was the 4th game in 4 days on an extremely short rest between games 3 (Saturday evening) and 4 (Sunday morning).

It was a solid effort throughout, but the first goal by Max Penkin, after a nice transition passing play from Krestan to Permitin to Penkin, stood out. To me Penkin was at times not only the best player on the German team, but the best player on the ice.

Now for the tournament as a whole (minus the game against Slovakia which I did not see). For the skaters I’ll go pair-by-pair and line-by-line (average ice time for each player in parentheses):

Goalies:
I’ll keep it short, since goalies are difficult to judge for me, especially on streams with a single camera angle and no replays. At this point I don’t any goalie has really separated themselves and I don’t think the goalie position will be a position of strength for this group.

Defence:
Daniel Kettler (24:33) – Darian Rolsing (23:07):
Clearly the top pairing for the team. They complement each other pretty well, with Kettler being the more responsible defense first player, while Rolsing played a more offensively minded and risky game. They made their mistakes (especially Rolsing) as most dmen do, when they play big minutes. And these two played in all situations and did about as well as you can expect when you are clearly outmatched every game.

Martin Mayer (17:02) – Jan-Luca Augst (17:25):
They were very consistent throughout the games I saw. Nothing spectacular but mostly solid. Probably the pair with the fewest mistakes. They didn’t generate offensively, but every now and then you could see there is some potential there, but maybe not against this kind of competition. If Augst was a bit bigger I’d like him a lot more as a prospect, but his lack of size will probably hold him back a bit.

Jonas Hördler (10:39) / Tobias Fischer (09:01) – Luis Gerhofer (14:58)
This trio of defensemen was really struggling against the US team and the Czechs. They did significantly better against Switzerland, but overall, I did not like what I saw from them. As I said before I don’t like to be too negative about these kids, so I’ll just say I hope this ends up being great learning experience for them and they will do better in the future.

Forwards:
Tobias Křestan (17:11) – Max Penkin (16:50) – Vyacheslav Permitin (15:56)
They were our best line by some margin and it was mostly driven by Max Penkin. And when it wasn’t Penkin then it was Křestan. Permitin played a quieter game, doing some of the dirty work, so his more skilled linemates could shine. The chemistry on this line improved from game to game as did their confidence, which was nice to see considering that the results were not exactly encouraging. Based on the 3 games I watched Penkin was our best forward and if he keeps this up, I definitely want to see him on the U18 team in April. He is that good.

Jakub Kottner (11:57) – Mats Geppert (15:54) – Toni Fürst (14:22)
While there was a clear gap between the play of the first and the second line, the gap was much smaller if you just look at Mats Geppert, who was clearly the third best forward on the team, and not that far off the top2. This line did pretty well overall, and Geppert was the one driving the play on this line all the time. Kottner also had his moments and was rewarded with the flukiest of goals against Switzerland. Fürst kind of always felt like coming up just short, no matter what he tried and no matter how much effort he put into it. Watching him in these games, I think there is a lot more there than he was able to show. And it’s not like he was bad it really looked like he was unlucky more than anything else.

Maximilian Strauss (09:57) – Leon Lell (12:16) – Luis Becker (09:51)
Jason Struck (11:24) – Florian Schloßnikel (12:16) – Andreas Kuhn (13:04)
Simon Röckl (11:03)

There wasn’t really a clear cut third and fourth line, and there was some shuffling going on with these players, so I’ll group them all together. Most of them did not really have much of an impact and are sort of a testament to the lack of depth of this group compared to the 07s.
I mean every one of them showed some skill here and there, and against Switzerland they were not bad, but the only one of them I noticed in a positive way in all 3 games I watched, was Schloßnikel.

To finish up my updated top 3 for the tournament:

1) Max Penkin:
On one hand it’s great that our best player was an underager, but it also a bit of an indictment on the 08 class. However, while the 08s are somewhat lacking overall, Křestan is still a good player, and Penkin outperforming him, even only slightly, is still very impressive. This was the first time I really got a good look at his skating and it was pretty good. I wouldn’t necessarily call it a strength just yet, but I was a bit worried it might hold him back, and am less worried now. I still think his hockey iq and creativity are his strongest assets, but there are really not many obvious holes in his game. He is just a really well-rounded prospect, which is unusual at his age.

2) Tobias Křestan:
Watching him in this tournament I kept thinking if he was a bit stronger and a bit more explosive, he would be really special. His vision and passing ability are definitely standing out in a good way, but he needs to up the intensity a bit if you ask me, if he wants to succeed against elite competition. I would not mind Křestan and Penkin to keep playing together and develop more chemistry. I really think they make each other better and they might be able to tilt the ice in our favor against many opponents.

3) Mats Geppert:
It was relly close for me between Geppert and Rolsing. While Rolsing had the best game between the two of them (against the US), Geppert was more consistent throughout the tournament, which is I’m giving him the number 3 spot over Rolsing. Geppert gave great effort every single shift and was mostly responsible defensively, something pretty much every other forward was struggling with in most of the games. On top of that he also showed more skill than any forward not named Penkin or Křestan. If I he was able to process the game just a bit faster and maybe get a bit bigger and stronger, he could take his game to a higher level.

HM) Darian Rolsing:
Rolsing made a few mistakes too many to stay in the top 3. If he can actually limit those mistakes without sacrificing his offensive abilities, he will turn into a really exciting prospect.
One thing I noticed with him on the penalty kill, that I found very encouraging was his ability to tie up the stick of the opposing forward that was looking for a deflection in front of the goal.
Thanks a lot for your amazing work again :) Do you think the missing guys like Lukas Greil, Quirin Schlager, Arel Albert and defenseman Moussa Hackert & Aurelius Pizka would have a positive impact in this group? Otherwise for me it looks like that the WJC 18 will be hard for this group in case you don't want to be relegated.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Funnily enough I posted in the prospects thread about Switzer on Friday - since he seems to want to represent us, he is probably the third most talented kid in the age group after Penkin then Pellizzari. Should be a top-60 pick in the upcoming OHL draft if things go to plan this season.

Reactions: Maverick41

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Thanks a lot for your amazing work again :) Do you think the missing guys like Lukas Greil, Quirin Schlager, Arel Albert and defenseman Moussa Hackert & Aurelius Pizka would have a positive impact in this group? Otherwise for me it looks like that the WJC 18 will be hard for this group in case you don't want to be relegated.

Greil should certainly help a little on offense, as would the others, but I don't think they would help to a degree that would make that much of a difference. I believe Pizka in particular, but also Hackert would have a slightly bigger impact, but even they would probably not move the needle much when it comes to our chances to avoid the relegation round at the WJC 18.

I just don't think this group is good enough to make the quarters, although it will depend a little on which group they are in, and how strong the other teams will be.
As of now I am definitely more excited about the groups with uneven birth years (07, 09 and 11). But a lot can still change before the WJC 18 in 2026. Right now however, I am not overly optimistic for this group. But first we have the WJC 18 in 2025 and that team will definitely be filled by almost all 2007 born players. Maybe Penkin makes it as a double underager, maybe Krestan has a shot, but that's about it, I think. So, still plenty of time for the 08s to develop and change my mind.

Reactions: Fabianski

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
There have been some changes to the listed roster for the U16 on the DEB website.
With Nikita Bloch and Tim Schaffarzyk two players I was looking forward to watching are no longer listed, but Nikolas Heinze was added and he has been someone I had expected on the roster from the get go. There were also some other changes.

There are likely more changes coming before the first game on Thursday. And the roster may not be correct to begin with, so I'll just wait and see.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The U16 team gave up a 4-0 lead and lost 4-6 to Austria, and pretty much the entire team looked utterly unimpressive.
Early on a few guys showed some flashes, but as the game went on they all seemed to slow down. I don't know if they were tired or if they just folded under the pressure Austria put on once they scored their second goal, but the performance went from kinda meh to godawful.

Unless they improve dramatically, they will get destroyed by Slovakia and Switzerland.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Well, they did improve dramatically and came back from 0-3 to defeat Slovakia 4-3.
After the final game against Switzerland tomorrow, I will share my thoughts on every player. Writing all that down will take some time, and I can only sit and type for short stretches at the moment due to an injured back, so it may take me until Sunday to finish this up.

Quick thoughts on today's game:
  • Refs were bad. I thought Germany was on the receiving end of more bad calls, but Slovakia definitely on the receiving end of the most egregious bad calls.
  • Everyone who played yesterday, played better today. There was improved chemistry on every line and nobody seemed to run out of gas.
  • Some of the goals were quite beautiful. Hilbert's hand-eye coordination on the game winner was brilliant.
  • Daniel Schneider scares me in a good and a bad way.
  • Without Penkin there does not seem to be any elite level talent, but considering there are some guys missing, I would have thought to be locks for this team, it looks like this group may have some solid depths.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Since the boxscores for the tournament are utterly useless I went through all the goals and checked them myself.
These should be correct, although I am a little uncertain about the 3rd, 4th and 5th Austrian goals, because their jerseys, the camera angle and just the situation how one of the goals was scored made it really difficult to be entirely sure.

GER – AUT 4-6 (3-0 | 1-1 | 0-5)
1-0 Tim Hartmann (Jerry Gerg, Jannes Schreiber)
2-0 Daniel Hilbert (Mark Samoilenko, Daniel Schneider)
3-0 Mark Samoilenko (Daniel Hilbert, Daniel Schneider)
4-0 Mark Somoilenko (Maxim Dietz, Daniel Schneider)
4-1 Josias Grossberger (Paul Schuster, Vitus Plank) – PP1
4-2 Emil Wagner (Luca Fischer)
4-3 Paul Sintschnig (Samuel Jamnig, Luca Fischer)
4-4 Lucas Hartl (Paul Schuster, Philipp Diamant)
4-5 Paul Sintschnig (Josias Grossberger)
4-6 Paul Schuster (Josias Grossberger)

GER – SVK 4-3 (0-3 | 3-0 | 1-0)
0-1 Alexander Lichnovský (Christopher Tayler Podkonický)
0-2 Alex Korhel (Matúš Cíbik)
0-3 Róbert Krajňák (Matúš Cíbik, Alex Korhel)
1-3 Daniel Schneider (Maxim Dietz)
2-3 Leon Lamprecht (Jannes Schreiber, Lukas Dibelka)
3-3 Jaden Switzer (Jannes Schreiber, Jonas Schwarz)
4-3 Daniel Hilbert (Daniel Schneider, Dennis Beckel)

GER – SUI 4-1 (1-0 | 1-1 | 2-0)
1-0 Jaden Switzer (Jonas Schwarz, Liron-Alec Pellizzari) – PP1
1-1 Sebastian Weber (Fabio Hadorn, Fabio Bissig)
2-1 Jannes Schreiber (Paul-Finn Weckener)
3-1 Jonas Schwarz (Jaden Switzer, Nikolai Hartmann) – PP1
4-1 Jonas Schwarz (Nikolai Hartmann, Jaden Switzer) – EN

Last edited:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Ok with a little delay I will now start posting my thoughts on each of the individual players of the U16 team. Don't forget, that this was the first time I got to watch many of them, and even for the ones I have seen before, this was the first time I saw them against international competition. So, remember that everything I share below is based on a small sample size and is barely more than a snapshot. With that said let's get started. I'll post them in alphabetical order and in groups of 6 per post. The last post will be only 5 and will include some additional thoughts.

#12 LD – Dennis Beckel (Red Bull Hockey Academy) [left shot]: 0g 1a
Beckel struggled defensively in the first two games, but unlike most others he had to deal with changing partners, since they played 7D in the first game against Austria and in the second one he was paired with Felske, who did not play against Austria. He looked much better in the last game, made a couple nice passes, and a good job defensively.

#22 C – Lukas Dibelka (Jungadler Mannheim) [left shot]: 0g 1a
I really liked Dibelka, even though he had some limited ice time along with his linemates Lamprecht and Rieger, but I noticed him in a positive way on most of his shifts. Good two-way center, with a well-rounded skillset. Smart enough to make the right play most of the time. Still need to see more from him, but I am intrigued.

#10 LD – Maxim Dietz (Red Bull Hockey Academy) [left shot]: 0g 2a
One of the players with the most potential in my opinion, but also still pretty raw. At times it looked like he tried to do more than he was capable of. I like his offensive instincts, defensively he was sloppy at times, but overall, he wasn’t bad. Dietz has good size, is not a terrible skater and fairly skilled for a defenseman. Which is an intriguing combination, but he still has to improve a lot in all areas.

#30 G – Dave Dützka (Augsburger EV) [catches left]:
Dützka got the last game vs. Switzerland, and looked mostly good. He gave up only one goal, but that was on him. He went to play the puck behind the net, poked at the puck with his stick but it ended up on the stick of a Swiss forward. He scrambled to get back into the net and the Swiss player banked it into the net off of Dützka. Other than that, he was solid, making some nice stops. He did seem to go down and play from his knees a bit much, leaving the top of the net open, but at least in this game it worked for him. Each goalie only played one game, but based on that tiny sample size, he would be my number 1 for now.

#1 G – Alrik Ehlers (Kölner Junghaie) [catches left]:
Smallish goalie, played in the first game against Austria, and actually did not look that bad, despite 6 goals against. Sure, it would be nice had he made a couple more saves, but he actually pulled off some really nice stops, and was pretty much abandoned by the team in front of him. Still, you can’t really say a goalie had a good game when he gives up 6 goals against a team, that is at the same level.

#25 RD – Laurin Felske (EV Füssen) [left shot]: 0g 0a
Felske missed the first game and looked lost and a little rusty in the second, and honestly quite bad. His performance in the third game was a totally different story. While his offensive potential appears to be limited, his play in his own zone was really strong, minus a single lapse that I can recall. He was also very effective on the penalty kill.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Part Two:

#20 RW – Jerry Gerg (Jungadler Mannheim) [right shot]: 0g 1a
Very similar to his linemate Fynn Ludwig, not very flashy, but solid all around. Every now and then he flashed some skill. His line was probably the most consistent through all 3 games. They were the only solid line in the loss to Austria. The second line may have gotten most of the goals, but beyond that they were terrible. In the other 2 games they improved and were solid, but they were surpassed by the first and second line.

#17 LW – Nikolai Hartmann (Red Bull Hockey Academy) [left shot]: 0g 2a
Really good player with a nice mix of skills (stickhandling, passing, skating). He may only have been the third best player on his line, but that doesn’t mean he was disappointing and was more a credit to his linemates. I actually think he has the ability to drive a line, but with Schwarz and Switzer next to him, he did not have to it and he complemented them perfectly.

#21 C – Tim Hartmann (Jungadler Mannheim) [left shot]: 1g 0a
I can basically only repeat what I wrote about Ludwig and Gerg, though Hartmann looks to me like the one with the most upside. I also liked some signs of leadership in his interactions with his teammates. I only spotted a couple of those instances in the final game, and I need to pay attention to it going forward, before I really consider this an asset for him, but at least in those moments it was good to see.

#16 C – Daniel Hilbert (Rookie Bulls München) [left shot]: 2g 1a
I am not entirely sold on his skating and his stickhandling, but it seems like it is good enough to keep up with the play and utilize his hockey IQ, passing and scoring ability around the net. Hilbert is also quite capable at retrieving loose pucks and then set up his linemates. He showed some impressive hand-eye coordination on the goal against Slovakia batting the rebound out of the air into the net. You could also tell that he and Samoilenko have played a lot together for their team in Munich. Their chemistry was on full display in several situations.

#9 LD – Markus Hordt (ESV Kaufbeuren) [left shot]: 0g 0a
Started out mostly invisible in a good way. He was rarely out of position and did his job on defense well. He also showed some ability to contribute offensively, but wasn’t really pushing that part of his game. He was very deliberate about activating on offense, while others like Schreiber and Weckener for example tried to get involved offensively every chance they got, Hordt carefully picked his spots, not taking any unnecessary risks.

#26 RD – David Jenka (ESC Dresden) [right shot]: 0g 0a
Playing alongside Maxim Dietz meant Jenka’s focus had to be more on defense, and he did ok in that department. Overall, he was far less visible than his D-partner and I don’t think I can give a really fair assessment of his game, as my attention was mostly drawn to Dietz when they were on the ice, for better or worse. I hope to catch some league games of his, this season.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Part Three:

#7 RW – Leon Lamprecht (Starbulls Rosenheim) [right shot]: 1g 0a
Did not get that much opportunity to shine. Elusive skater who needs to get stronger. Not really a lot else to say about his game. He was absolutely serviceable in the last two games, but his line did not get as much ice time as the others, so he had less chance of making an impression. Showed flashes of skill and some good hustle. Scored a nice goal after a great set up from Jannes Schreiber. Need to see more.

#11 LW – Fynn Ludwig (EHC Freiburg) [left shot]: 0g 0a
Ludwig looked like a really solid two-way forward. I wasn’t wowed by any elite skills, but I also couldn’t really find any weaknesses. It’s a theme for his entire line. They created only a few chances, but they also barely gave up any compared to the other lines. I still need to see more from him to get a better read, but at this point he looks like a really good depths guy, that you like to have on any roster.

#31 G – David Nidens (EV Regensburg) [catches left]:
Played the second game against Slovakia and was a bit shaky despite the win. He looked really bad on the first goal, pretty much throwing it into his own net trying to make a glove save. He is the tallest of the three goalies on the team and at times he struggled to get down to cover the bottom part of the net in time. Based off the one game each goalie got to play, I would probably rank him third for now, though him and Ehlers are really close for me.

#27 RD – Liron-Alec Pellizzari (Delta Hockey Academy) [left shot]: 0g 1a
Pellizzari has a lot of potential, maybe the most out of all defensemen here. And defensively he was really strong throughout the tournament. I had expected a little more out of him on offense. But like his D-partner Hordt, Pellizzari did not push his offensive game, but rather let the game come to him. With at least one strong puck carrier on every forward line, most defensemen, including Pellizzari, just let them take care of the transition game, so I could not really get a good read on his abilities there.

#23 LW – Elias Rieger (EV Regensburg) [left shot]: 0g 0a
Rieger looked like a good hustle player and forechecker. He has a good motor, but was unlucky at times. Though he also showed some signs of poor decision making. But just like his linemates I want to see more from him before I really make up my mind.

#24 LW – Mark Samoilenko (Rookie Bulls München) [left shot]: 2g 1a
He is not the fastest or most agile skater, but he usually gets to where he needs to be. He is physically strong and capable of protecting the puck. He has some skill as goal scorer, especially around the net. Samoilenko is good at creating space for his linemates and his passing skills are good enough to take advantage of that, though his vision seems to be lacking a little. I have to look for that more in future viewings of him. In the league games I saw from him last season, his vision looked fine to me.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Part Four:

#6 RW – Daniel Schneider (Jungadler Mannheim) [left shot]: 1g 4a
Probably my favourite forward in the first game, but that did not say much. However, he also was by far my favourite player to watch the rest of the way. He may only be 5’6’’ (rounded up) but he plays like he’s 6’3’’ at least. He was like a pint-sized wrecking ball out there. At times he took it a little too far, with a couple of questionable hits, but you could also make a 2-3-minute-long highlight video with just his hits. And his hits and general feistiness were far from the only thing to like about his game. He’s a quick, agile skater with decent puck skills. In a way he reminded me a tiny bit of Brad Marchand, in the sense that he can be quite annoying to play against, despite a lack of size, and all that combined with a pretty high level of skill. Not that I think he has Marchand upside, it’s just this combination of attributes, that reminded me of him.

#8 LD – Jannes Schreiber (Krefelder EV 1981) [left shot]: 1g 3a
Schreiber was the best defenseman offensively and not too shabby on defense either. He possesses good size and his skating is not a detriment either. He is also one of the better stickhandlers among defensemen I have seen the last few years (Not quite at the level of Händel, but still notable). He also displayed some grit, sticking up for teammates/goalies after the whistle. His shot may not beat many goalies at this level, but it can create rebounds and he utilizes it well. His passing is pretty good as well. Overall, I though Schreiber and Dietz were pretty similar players out there with Schreiber being just a tad bit better at most things. Both could be interesting prospects going forward.

#4 C – Jonas Schwarz (EV Landshut) [left shot]: 2g 2a
With Penkin not there, Schwarz was the most skilled player on the team. His skating looked great, clearly the most fluid skater on the team. He can stickhandle at a high speed and maintain control, which is a skill we don’t see often with our prospects. Initially he failed to utilize his linemates, but as the tournament went on the whole line developed some decent chemistry and Schwarz no longer looked like puck hog out there, because he held on to the puck for too long. He was really good against Slovakia and Switzerland and I could definitely see him joining the U17 alongside Penkin before the season is over.

#19 RW – Jaden Switzer (Ottawa Valley Titans) [left shot]: 2g 2a
This may be a little unfair, but I was slightly disappointed. I was kind of hoping for him to stand out more, since he was brought up playing hockey in Canada. But the first game aside, he was actually really good. He looked more polished and complete than almost anyone else on the team, and I could not really spot any holes in his. I didn’t get to see as much of it as I would have liked, but his shot seemed to be pretty good, which is another area our prospects usually struggle with.

#13 RD – Paul-Finn Weckener (Eisbären Juniors Berlin) [right shot]: 0g 1a
Very active, always looking to activate offensively. Also, one of the better and faster skaters among the defensemen. Defensively he looked like he was scrambling at times. He mostly got the job done, but he was also aided by playing with Jannes Schreiber in that regard.

A few quick thoughts about the other teams (just based on their performance against Germany and highlights from the other games):

Slovakia looked very pedestrian against us, but it did feel like they were playing down a bit to their opponent, actually not unlike our performance against Austria. Both Slovakia against us and Germany against Austria were able to build a big early lead without being really convincing, but it looked like the lead was safe. And then the opponent started scoring and the supposed stronger team fell apart and had no answer.

Switzerland was a bit of a disappointment after I had heard some good things about their 09 class. Even though the game was close for the most part, I was never too worried: It never felt like they were dominating or even generating sustained pressure. I honestly have no idea if our guys were so good, or if the Swiss team was that bad. Maybe a bit of both.

Austria was quite fun to watch. My favourite players from their team were Emil Wagner, who was constantly making our boys look like pylons out there, Paul Sintschnig, for similar reasons, and Paul Schuster who was really good throughout the game and capped off the scoring in that game by going between the legs on a breakaway.

Now for my top3 on our team, I will just list the names this time and not give an explanation, since I already did the write ups above.
This is just for this tournament not an overall ranking of who I think are the top prospects. It is really close between 3) and the honourable mentions.

1) Daniel Schneider
2) Jonas Schwarz
3) Jaden Switzer
HM: Jannes Schreiber, Liron-Alec Pellizzari, Daniel Hilbert, Mark Samoilenko

KerbanHockey

Jan 22, 2014
Thank you a lot for sharing this, very interesting!
Sounds like the 09's might have some intriguing prospects, although I'm trying not to hype the young guys too early, as I've done too often in the past.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Thank you a lot for sharing this, very interesting!
Sounds like the 09's might have some intriguing prospects, although I'm trying not to hype the young guys too early, as I've done too often in the past.

Yes, I often have the same problem, because I tend to focus more on the positive things in these tournaments which leads to skewed view on these prospects.
By the end of the year we should have a better idea about this group. With the games against Finland in November and another tournament in Czechia between Christmas and New Year it should become clearer how much potential really is in this group.

If I compare them to recent teams at the same time, I'd rank this group clearly behind the 07s, but also comfortably ahead of the 06s and 08s.
We will see how it turns out.

Another thing to note is, that 12 players of 44 that were originally invited to the camp had to decline the invitation or had to leave camp due to illness or injury. I wish I knew all the names and if any of these 12 would have made the final team, but maybe there is more quality and depth in this group than what was on display at the tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad