Speculation: Gerard Gallant fired

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don't like the way he juggles his lines

Gotcha. May I suggest unsubscribing from hockey? Because all coaches juggle lines.

Also the quick reactions that happen every GDT when someone catches a glimpse of a player skating with different players than normal on the ice...news flash...not real f***ing line juggling. Nobody seems to be able to wrap their mind around how penalties influence the lines. How partial line changes change the optics. Perception is key.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Gotcha. May I suggest unsubscribing from hockey? Because all coaches juggle lines.

Also the quick reactions that happen every GDT when someone catches a glimpse of a player skating with different players than normal on the ice...news flash...not real ****ing line juggling. Nobody seems to be able to wrap their mind around how penalties influence the lines. How partial line changes change the optics. Perception is key.
I will subscribe to what I damn well please and have the opinion that I want. I don't want the coach playing one of the best 4th line centers in the game on the 2nd line wing. I'm not talking about juggling things when penalties happen and what not. I'm talking about Blashill starting the game with the nonsense that he does only to change it up mid game ONLY to try it again next game. That's what I'm talking about.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Prove it? Go look at the guys record and use your brain.

It is sorry.

At least once every 5 years when the coach misses the playoffs for 3 in a row then coaches a team that is historically bad.

Yet his reputation with people actually in the game like USA Hockey, Ken Holland, Steve Yzerman and several other high ranking media types and front office personnel remains unchanged... I wonder why that is. I think a large part of it is him and Cooper developed the system you see in Tampa together but the focus here would be that people that truly know the game seem to think the guy has talent. Do they all lack brains?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
How many times do you suggest the change coaches with the same roster? Is it once and you give up? Is it twice? 5 times? Hell, let's hire all the free agent coaches and let them rotate games like a starting rotation until we find the ace. This is the point people make when they say you are expecting wholesale changing. Your opinion is like assuming the reason your car won't drive is an engine problem when you don't have any wheels on the ****ing axles.

this is seriously just about the most ridiculous argument i've ever seen used repeatedly on this forum

Jeff Blashill is literally the 3rd longest tenured head coach in the entire league right now,taking that into account what's the logical endpoint of this argument you are making? that teams should just never change their coaches ever?

Reactions: cheesehead9099

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Oh please, do go on. How is hoping a coaching change fixes all the problems that a roster void of talent more viable than acknowledging that the lack of talent is a mountain that no coach can overcome?

Not at all what I said.

I'll spell it out for you simply though, because you're having a hard time understanding.

A different coach can get a different result. Some improvement is better than no improvement.

I never said it would fix all the problems, just the Blashill problem.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
this is seriously just about the most ridiculous argument i've ever seen used repeatedly on this forum

Jeff Blashill is literally the 3rd longest tenured head coach in the entire league right now,taking that into account what's the logical endpoint of this argument you are making? that teams should just never change their coaches ever?

My point has nothing to do with long term. It has to do with jumping on a coaching change immediately in this season. The precedent you are setting is that it’s not good enough. Well when the next guy comes in and loses just as much because the talent is still not there, what’s the play? Do you fire him at the end of the year? Do you go into next season with a third coach who still won’t have the talent to win and fire him midseason?

At what point do you say, you know what, f*** it. Let it ride this year, there’s no improvement to be made. We will eat this one and start in the off-season.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Yet his reputation with people actually in the game like USA Hockey, Ken Holland, Steve Yzerman and several other high ranking media types and front office personnel remains unchanged... I wonder why that is. I think a large part of it is him and Cooper developed the system you see in Tampa together but the focus here would be that people that truly know the game seem to think the guy has talent. Do they all lack brains?

So what you're saying is that Bowman wouldn't get more out of this roster?
Or are you arguing that Blashill is greater than / equal to Bowman?
Because the post you quoted was about Bowman. So I'm trying to understand the argument here?

Do they lack brains? Naw. Is Blashill in over his head and not good at his job? Yes.

Prove it? Look at his record.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Interesting. HSJ reports that the thought is Blash is relieved of his duties and offered a job elsewhere in the organization.
Weird.
He doesn't have a desire to go somewhere else?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yet his reputation with people actually in the game like USA Hockey, Ken Holland, Steve Yzerman and several other high ranking media types and front office personnel remains unchanged...

How do you verify something like that?
Even if people went around saying that, how do you know they're just not blowing smoke?

Just like the people on FSD who talk about how Jimmy isn't that bad and make excuses.

It's a good old boy network.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Because the post you quoted was about Bowman. So I'm trying to understand the argument here?

Do they lack brains? Naw. Is Blashill in over his head and not good at his job? Yes.

This is such an empty argument

“you want proof he’s bad? Look what he can do with a bad team.”

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Interesting. HSJ reports that the thought is Blash is relieved of his duties and offered a job elsewhere in the organization.
Weird.

I would question where he could possibly go. That front office is starting to fill up quick, and that would be my assumption based on the way you have that phrased.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Weird.
This is the first I'm hearing about this. How long has this been the plan? If that's the case, I do everything I can to land Gallant.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The smart play money wise is to wait until the offseason and take the best offer.

NHL head coaching jobs are super competitive and don't come around all too often. Spending a year out of the game can be a detriment long-term. If Gallant has a head coaching job offer right now he would be dumb to pass on it.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Good coach or not, I would be really surprised if Blashill goes the route of just about every Lions head coach since I was born and never gets another HC gig in the league.

Given that he's won at every lower level he's coached at, a team or teams needing a HC will probably chalk up his record in Detroit being more a product of the roster aging and continually losing talent than his coaching. They'll probably want to see what he would do with a more talented roster.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
NHL head coaching jobs are super competitive and don't come around all too often. Spending a year out of the game can be a detriment long-term. If Gallant has a head coaching job offer right now he would be dumb to pass on it.

He would only be spending a few months out of the game. And if he is in demand now, he will still be in demand in the offseason.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I hope Stevie calls Gallant and makes arrangements for him to come in during the offseason. No point in him coming over immediately unless GG wants to.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Do I think he is better than the greatest coach of all-time... Seriously if that is the standard we should fire Yzerman already and shoot Chris Ilitch into space. Because they aren't the greatest of all-time either.

I think Blash has been handed a pretty tall order. I still believe he is a good coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad