Speculation: Gerard Gallant fired

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I posted this on the Main Board but thought it appropriate to come here as well.

Seriously though, he’d be a perfect fit, I hope you guys get him.

Full disclosure: I try to shoehorn a Metallica YT video in whenever I can.

Cheers

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
636638296472730336-Gerard-Gallant-28.JPG

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't think anyone is upset that this team is losing.

Some of us are upset about how the team is losing. They're not motivated, they just flail around, no one seems to know what to do with the puck, teammates aren't where they should be, there's no consistency, no coherence among the players.

You can hire a coach to address those problems and still lose more than you win.
Hire coach will move team in right direction

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
There are good coaches available every year. The last time he coached a rebuilding team (Florida) it ended poorly.
It ended poorly because of how they treated Gallant, not because of anything he did. Gallant coached them to the most wins and points in franchise history.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
1. Why does Gallant take this job?
2. Why does Gallant take this job right now as opposed to the offseason.

For the record I am fine with hiring him this afternoon if he is in fact Stevie's top choice.
1. Money
2. Money, but also why not get familiar with the team and start implementing his strategies to have a "flying start" next season.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is another example of why I think this new lottery system is not viable.

With the old lottery, if there were 2 stud prospects in a draft you could tell a coach - "hey we're going to finish towards (or at) the bottom, get 1 of these 2 kids guaranteed, and then hit the ground running." Like with Babcock in Toronto, OK I know I have a great shot at Matthews... so I'll take that job and build the team around him.

But with a 34% shot at a top 2 pick? I would kind of want to wait and see what happens with the lottery first as a coach. We are going to be a lot more appealing to coaches with Lafreniere/Byfield, who could step right into the NHL, than some of the other guys out there.

Reactions: mantha39

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We don't need to keep losing at this pace to get that top 4 pick.
Do the math.

What's the harm in waiting though? See who we get in the draft, who we get in free agency. Do our due diligence and interview some different coaches over the summer. No need to rush things and hire a coach now... and I doubt any coach is dying to inherit this s show.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
That winning streak last season has people confused about exactly how far behind we are right now.

It doesn't drastically change anything.

But the chances of that are so slim I wouldn't bother worrying about it.
Our defense is terrible. We're injured. Our goaltending is shot.

But, to be honest, I don't think Gallant is the guy we want.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
What's the harm in waiting though? See who we get in the draft, who we get in free agency. Do our due diligence and interview some different coaches over the summer. No need to rush things and hire a coach now... and I doubt any coach is dying to inherit this s show.
I'll ask the same question to you. What's the harm in hiring him now? Let him establish what kind of team he wan'ts with the players we have and give us a better understanding on what to do via free agency. If we wait, there's always a chance he signs with someone else. IF this is the guy you want, I say get him now.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

The Harm?
1) You're telling everyone on this roster that performance doesn't matter. You're telling everyone that efforts like last night's 8-2 loss are acceptable. That shitshow performances are OK.
2) You shitting on your fans who spend their time and money on your product.

And for what? Nothing.
We're so far back the best coach in NHL history couldn't change our fortunes.

But I'd like to go into next season having played 30 games of competitive, solid hockey.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I've been on the Fire Blashill bandwagon for a long time now. I have no problem with losing, I have a massive problem with how we are losing. Getting blown out night after night does nothing for player development and confidence. The entire roster is just going through the motions and desperately willing the season to end.

Gallant is the kind of coach I've wanted for a while. Get him in here whilst he's available. So many times we see on here "we only keep Larkin, Bert, Mantha, Zadina, Fabbri and Hronek". Get GG in here now, see if he can't get a tune out of other players on the roster for the rest of the season. We're going to finish dead last anyway.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'll ask the same question to you. What's the harm in hiring him now? Let him establish what kind of team he wan'ts with the players we have and give us a better understanding on what to do via free agency. If we wait, there's always a chance he signs with someone else. IF this is the guy you want, I say get him now.

At the bare minimum, Yzerman needs to call him and gauge his interest. If he's dying to come on board, bring him on. If he wants to wait to see how the lottery and such play out, holding pattern this *****. Yzerman should at the very least know by the end of this week whether Gallant would have an interest in coaching the Wings. Maybe not hire him now, but at least take the temperature of his interest.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don't think anyone is upset that this team is losing.

Some of us are upset about how the team is losing. They're not motivated, they just flail around, no one seems to know what to do with the puck, teammates aren't where they should be, there's no consistency, no coherence among the players.

You can hire a coach to address those problems and still lose more than you win.

At what point do you put some of this on the players? The low end defensemen on this team being uncomfortable handling the puck and deciding to chip the puck out of the zone and essentially give the possession back to the opposition...that's on the player. The grinders playing up the lineup like Helm or Glendening getting a pass from a skilled player like Zadina and not having the offensive ability to get pucks on net and instead end up in the corner in a battle along the boards...that's on the player. I find it hard to isolate things strictly down to the coaching and scheme when watching this team because I know that if I blindly pick a player off the bench and put him on the ice, there's probably a 60-70% chance they shouldn't be in the NHL, or at a maximum they should be playing about 10 minutes on the 4th line.

There are players who aren't flailing around and who do know what to do with the puck, and those players are the only competent players on the team. There is a staggering difference between Larkin/Bertuzzi/Zadina/Hronek and the Glendening/Erne/Helm/Daley type. The problem is that latter group is being forced to creep up into the former group on the ice, and that latter group make up over 50% of the roster. I understand the appetite for change, but the way you are framing the argument doesn't hold as much weight as you are implying. Hire Gallant and Laviolette, and guess what? Zadina's linemates are still not able to think and/or act quickly enough to keep up and play off of him. That doesn't change. We still have players who are mentally or physically chasing the play, and coaching alone can't make up that gap.

Reactions: odin1981

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad