OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I've been playing Fallout: London a bit since it came out. I don't have much time for games at this moment in my life, so I'm not far in (level 5), but I'm really loving it, minus the crashes (I've had 2 crashes in 5 hours, but both were recent).

It mixes the difficulty, darkness, and world design of Fallout 1 with the questing and dialogue of Fallout: New Vegas, while keeping the crafting, weapon and armor systems (sans durability), and game engine from Fallout 4. Overall, that's a pretty nice mix.

Because it's a new setting, they've really done a lot of lore for it, and there's lots of professional-level (and actual professional) voice acting. They've also improved the Pip-Boy, now called the Atta-Boy. The flashlight - and you won't believe this - shines light forward. Like, where you're intending to see. I know, crazy, right! Those Brits are lightyears ahead of we Yanks in the tech department.

If anyone is interested in it:
You need the GOTY version of Fallout 4 to play it, or you need all the DLC's. I didn't own any DLC's because I thought Fallout 4 was kind of mediocre by the time I beat it. This resulted in me buying the GOTY edition from GOG.com for $16, because it's on sale right now there. It's also a lot easier to install in GOG's version.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Tried getting into Ghosts of Tsushima but i just cant. I dont think its the right game for me to play right after finishing the Elden Ring DLC. Combat just doesnt compare and thats where my head keeps going to when im fighting.

So im thinking about getting into POE, Daunting game to try and get into but seems like it would be fun, maybe i'll give King Arthut Knights Tale a shot, Im kinda in the mood for a turn based RPG.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Tried getting into Ghosts of Tsushima but i just cant. I dont think its the right game for me to play right after finishing the Elden Ring DLC. Combat just doesnt compare and thats where my head keeps going to when im fighting.

So im thinking about getting into POE, Daunting game to try and get into but seems like it would be fun, maybe i'll give King Arthut Knights Tale a shot, Im kinda in the mood for a turn based RPG.

POE? Are you talking about Path of Exile or is there another game with those initials?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Path of Exile.

I tried it when it came out 10? years ago on PC. It was okay, but not what I was looking for at the time. It went backburner then forgotten for me. Maybe I'll give it another go when I have a good block of time to commit to relearning the game.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I tried it when it came out 10? years ago on PC. It was okay, but not what I was looking for at the time. It went backburner then forgotten for me. Maybe I'll give it another go when I have a good block of time to commit to relearning the game.
Yeah its a huge learning curve.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
POE? Are you talking about Path of Exile or is there another game with those initials?
Pillars of Eternity has those initials too, and would be a somewhat daunting game for someone to get into as most cRPG's are. I've played both those POE's, and they're both pretty good!

I also haven't played Path of Exile in nearly a decade If you decide to try it again, let me know how it goes. I'm not sure how I'd do jumping back in.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Pillars of Eternity has those initials too, and would be a somewhat daunting game for someone to get into as most cRPG's are. I've played both those POE's, and they're both pretty good!

I also haven't played Path of Exile in nearly a decade If you decide to try it again, let me know how it goes. I'm not sure how I'd do jumping back in.
Pillars of Eternity are great games.

Reactions: BagHead

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm thinking of getting this humble bundle. Kalypso games

I don't have some of the Tropico 6 DLCs, but it doesn't play well on my pc.

Port Royal 4 (I liked PR3) and Spacebase Startopia are the game's I'm interested in. The railway game I don't have a clue on. Anyone play any of these 3 games?

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I used to value your video game opinions. Now... hmmmmmmm. Lol

Kidding.

I could see bouncing off it after Elden Ring. Especially if you were expecting combat to be similar (i really enjoyed the combat, but challenging it is not). Very different games and I had a yearish between the two. I loved the game and it's somewhere in my top tenish games of all time. Maybe try it again after some time if you find yourself in a game hole.

• Haha
Reactions: Sad People

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I used to value your video game opinions. Now... hmmmmmmm. Lol

Kidding.

I could see bouncing off it after Elden Ring. Especially if you were expecting combat to be similar (i really enjoyed the combat, but challenging it is not). Very different games and I had a yearish between the two. I loved the game and it's somewhere in my top tenish games of all time. Maybe try it again after some time if you find yourself in a game hole.
I really think its just me coming down a from a high after playing and completing the DLC, After finishing it i havent been able to get into any games and ive tried a few between Valheim, POE, Ghosts and DayZ.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I really think its just me coming down a from a high after playing and completing the DLC, After finishing it i havent been able to get into any games and ive tried a few between Valheim, POE, Ghosts and DayZ.

Try a simple/linear hack and slash game; Dynasty Warriors, God of War, etc. Maybe that will reset your brain on combat?

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Try a simple/linear hack and slash game; Dynasty Warriors, God of War, etc. Maybe that will reset your brain on combat?
I played and completed GoW 2018 before and wasn’t the biggest fan of it. I’ll check out the other game!

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Escape from Tarkov has a PVE game mode now that is pretty fleshed out and far more accessible and consistent than the original PVP mode, if anyone has been interested in it previously but intimidated, this is how I would recommend breaking into the game. You will still be completely overwhelmed, but its much easier to learn and cut through the random BS that comes from the other users while still maintaining the heart pumping, immersive experience that is unlike any other game.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Escape from Tarkov has a PVE game mode now that is pretty fleshed out and far more accessible and consistent than the original PVP mode, if anyone has been interested in it previously but intimidated, this is how I would recommend breaking into the game. You will still be completely overwhelmed, but its much easier to learn and cut through the random BS that comes from the other users while still maintaining the heart pumping, immersive experience that is unlike any other game.
Been playing this game on and off for like 6+ years, surprised to see another tarky enjoyer.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia

I will probably jump into POE 2 when it releases. Played POE at launch and then again at the start of COVID. I like Diablo more because it's less grindy and the skill map is not nearly as daunting.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I will probably jump into POE 2 when it releases. Played POE at launch and then again at the start of COVID. I like Diablo more because it's less grindy and the skill map is not nearly as daunting.
Yeah im hoping POE2 isnt as convoluted on release as POE is now . Its daunting to learn 10+ years of mechanics.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I just hope PoE 2 isn't as damn fast-paced as PoE. The power creep is real, and has made the game more or less unplayable for me. Used to enjoy it back when it came out and after that, too, but haven't touched it in years.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I just hope PoE 2 isn't as damn fast-paced as PoE. The power creep is real, and has made the game more or less unplayable for me. Used to enjoy it back when it came out and after that, too, but haven't touched it in years.
Power creep in ARPGs seems incredibly difficult to avoid.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Back on the Borderlands 2 grind. Haven’t had a Siren go through all of the OP levels yet. Currently starting Ultimate Vault Hunter mode.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Finished Conscript today.

Overall a pretty rad game ngl, my first time playing this type of 2d, pixelated genre. I would definitely recommend but there would be a "but" at the end.

The game definitely has some flaws like a TON of backtracking which gets old pretty quick, visual style/ environment made it hard to see where you can and cannot go sometimes, combat is a bit janky but i also think that adds the uniqueness of the game so im not going to get too upset or overly critical with it. There wasnt a ton of enemy variety in this game which oddly didnt bug me like it does in other games, "cough" "cough" "GoW 2018". I also didnt get much of the "horror" aspect either outaside of a acouple jump scares or "wtf moments" but maybe thats my own preconceived idea of what a "horror" game is but at the end of the day isnt a big deal either

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Humble Bundle has a $35 RPG bundle: Pathefinder WotR and Kingmaker with some season pass things for them. BG1 and BG 2. Neverwinter Nights. Warhammer 40k: rouge trader. I have some of these games but my pc can't play them.

I'm looking at the $13 tower defense bundle for myself.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Humble Bundle has a $35 RPG bundle: Pathefinder WotR and Kingmaker with some season pass things for them. BG1 and BG 2. Neverwinter Nights. Warhammer 40k: rouge trader. I have some of these games but my pc can't play them.

I'm looking at the $13 tower defense bundle for myself.
Damn, some of my favorite games are in that bundle. The only game I don't own there is Rogue Trader, which sells for $50 right now. I guess I could buy it for that alone, though I'd feel a little silly owning 3 copies each of BG1, 2, and NWN.

I just looked the bundle up and saw Planescape Torment in it. That game is like playing through a philosophy class, but fun. You encounter the extremes of nihilism, existentialism, atheism as a faith, a Hindu-adjacent... ism , authoritarianism, stoicism, Schopenhaur, darwinsim, anarchy, hedonism, empiricism - among others - and the big question the game is known for "What can change the nature of a man?" The combat sucks, but what'll you do? They should have honestly just excluded combat, period...

unless that was a metaphor for the human capacity to suffer and still endure?
No, no. The game's just in my head now.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Damn, some of my favorite games are in that bundle. The only game I don't own there is Rogue Trader, which sells for $50 right now. I guess I could buy it for that alone, though I'd feel a little silly owning 3 copies each of BG1, 2, and NWN.

I just looked the bundle up and saw Planescape Torment in it. That game is like playing through a philosophy class, but fun. You encounter the extremes of nihilism, existentialism, atheism as a faith, a Hindu-adjacent... ism , authoritarianism, stoicism, Schopenhaur, darwinsim, anarchy, hedonism, empiricism - among others - and the big question the game is known for "What can change the nature of a man?" The combat sucks, but what'll you do? They should have honestly just excluded combat, period...

unless that was a metaphor for the human capacity to suffer and still endure?
No, no. The game's just in my head now.

You can always gift those game keys to other people.

I've played around with the idea of doing a twitch/youtube game bundle review channel. I actually have a pretty good plan (I think at least) on how I'd start out with it. It just is more of a timesink than I want to commit to right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 9
    Staked: $30,669.00