General Prospect Discussion (2023-24)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Canada has announced the World Juniors roster. Carson Rehkopf has made it and should be an important forward. I'm disappointed to say that they've cut Jagger Firkus. It's a surprise. They can recall someone later though if Benson or Poitras aren't released to play in the tournament. So maybe Firkus will get added later.

1702509554992-png.782948

Edit: Also mods can feel free to move this around. I preferred to keep our prospect discussions in one place. Not like any thread is too busy.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm reposting this from the Rehkopf thread in case anybody missed it:

Rehkopf looks sensational.

In my opinion should be one of our most valuable prospects at this point, behind only Wright and Evans.

• Love
Reactions: kihei

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Savoie and Geekie are already off to World Juniors, but I’ve got to get a decent look at Jugnauth. He looks pretty good. The skill is obvious as he stands out among the best 4-5 players on the team. He got an assist, so that’s fun.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Savoie and Geekie are already off to World Juniors, but I’ve got to get a decent look at Jugnauth. He looks pretty good. The skill is obvious as he stands out among the best 4-5 players on the team. He got an assist, so that’s fun.

We had so many early round picks that year that I must confess that I have never noticed the existence of Tyson Jugnauth (taken in the 4th round 2022).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
First impressions from the FIN - CAN game today:

Carson Rehkopf struggled with the puck and fanned on a couple shots. He isn't getting a lot of ice time to begin with so this doesn't help his case.

Ty Nelson made some noticeable mistakes, they noted on the broadcast that he hadn't practiced with the team and just flew in as a replacement, so perhaps hasn't adjusted yet.

I thought Niklas Kokko was very good, Canada had a lot of chances.

Reactions: The Marquis

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Rehkopf and Nelson both look a lot better so far, after 20 minutes vs Latvia.

Apparently the coach liked Rehkopf's physicality so he bumped him up the lineup to a regular spot with Celebrini and Yager.

Nelson had a beautiful hip check - and was assessed a 5 minute major for kneeing for it. The penalty was removed on review.

As noted in the other thread - Kokko didn't look good vs Germany in a 4-3 loss.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I really ought to be watching this as I actually can this year

I kind of snooze through a lot of it because so many of the games are mismatches. I'm looking forward to Canada vs Sweden.

The U.S. team doesn't play any good teams in round robin play (Czechs aren't good this year). Without Russians the tournament feels different.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Rehkopf with 2 assists in Canada's game vs Germany, the last game of the round robin. He was good and they really needed him.

And another look at the power move goal vs Latvia, just because it's so beautiful:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Rehkopf flies back to North America and immediately scores a hat trick in the OHL. Haven't these kids heard of jet lag? I need like a week to recover after flying that far.

He's eligible for another WJC tournament next year, and would be expected to be among Canada's top players.

He might also be NHL ready before then - the kid is well built and does a lot of things well. He would not be eligible to play in the AHL.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Rehkopf flies back to North America and immediately scores a hat trick in the OHL. Haven't these kids heard of jet lag? I need like a week to recover after flying that far.

He's eligible for another WJC tournament next year, and would be expected to be among Canada's top players.

He might also be NHL ready before then - the kid is well built and does a lot of things well. He would not be eligible to play in the AHL.
Firkus came back without playing a game in Sweden and started with a 1G 4A game as well. Followed it up with a 1A 1G game the following day.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am sure that Goyette and Rehkopf will become wingers at the pro level.

Long-term, I think a center core of Beniers, Wright, and Mølgaard has real upside. Sprinkle in a few of Rehkopf, Firkus, Nyman, Goyette, Sale, and that top 9 is looking to have good potential too.

For defense, Evans, Dragicevic, Price, and Nelson are a good prospects but I would like to see them land a top prospect on the backend to really give that group a boost (maybe in the upcoming draft?).

Regardless, the Kraken brass have done a good job of drafting so far so they are in a position where Wright might not need to pan out to his full potential (but doing so would be a +).

It's early for this group, and I'm not sure that the upside at center is higher than it is for D. To some degree that's Beniers and Wright not being super high upside, but I'm also just really excited for Ryker Evans. He looks really good for a kid playing his first NHL games.

I'm not exactly upset about our center situation either. Beniers and Wright might be really solid, if not elite. And complemented by a couple elite wingers it could be a great forward group. I can imagine Rehkopf getting there. His skillset is so tantalizing, I can imagine him becoming an elite winger.

Reactions: kihei

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I gotta say that I'm getting pretty excited about the 2024 draft. All the players I have ranked in the top 5 seem to be more likely to fall to around where Seattle is picking according to expert rankings.

Reactions: Knightmare88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I gotta say that I'm getting pretty excited about the 2024 draft. All the players I have ranked in the top 5 seem to be more likely to fall to around where Seattle is picking according to expert rankings.

Who are those players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad