General Goaltending Thread (Current/Future)

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Gibson is a better goalie than Bryzgalov. I want him backing up Andersen so he can get more experience and push Freddie to be his best every night. I feel our best chance to win the Cup is with Freddie and Gibson. I want him to be healthy and ready to go so I'm fine with him being in Norfolk for the next little while. But if he continues to have games like he did on Saturday I want him up here. If the plan is to allow Gibson to come up when he earns it and shows he's healthy and eat Bryz's contract in the minors for the time being, fine. It's not my money they're lighting on fire so if he's comfortable paying that much for a minor leaguer, whatever. I just don't want Freddie playing so much and I don't want Bryz to be the guy filling in when we have Gibson who is clearly better. Because when it comes right down to it, if Freddie gets pulled or gets hurt or just needs a day off we have more of a chance to win with Gibson in net than Bryz. The only thing Gibson did this year to damage his standing is get hurt. He was playing very well before he got hurt. Bryzgalov has played very poorly and wasn't very good last season either despite what some think.

Fair enough, and believe me I feel where you're coming from. I'm concerned about Freddy's workload as well. But Bryz will either pan out or he won't. If he's a complete flop then I'll be right there with you shaking my head at Murray. This could turn ugly for sure if Gibby heats up and Bryz stinks up the joint. I have to hope that Murray did some reasonable scouting on this one, he was the one that pumped the choice to go with the kids entering the season, and now he's shelled out quite a bit to add a veteran goalie less than half-way into the season. I just think that 4 games from Gibby and 1.5 very rusty games from Bryz is too soon to call this one. If all goes well, we have greatly improved our overall goalie depth, regardless of who plays where.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
My theory is that BB cares more about the regular season than Murray does. That is why BB is over using Andersen.

BB needs to understand that this is a playoff team. We don't need to run Freddie into the ground in December IMO. I think he should just go with Bryz for 4 out of the next 10 games and see what he can do.

No they aren't. The only regulars who have been out of the second round are Perry, Getzlaf, Thompson, and Beauchemin. You can add Heatley, Brewer, Bourque, and...Bryzgalov to that list, which may be part of why they were added, but this team is nowhere near a playoff proven team. It's like saying that St. Louis is a playoff team because they have big players and are strong down the center as well.

I agree that Bryzgalov needs some game time, but I'm sure the coaching staff won't play him until they think he's up to speed - they're the ones who see him in practice. They're also the ones who've seen Gibson in practice. I think that the folks who do this for a living and see 80-90% more of them than we do are probably better judges as to who should be playing than we are. Call me crazy.

I also think that this team is being held together and winning through smoke and mirrors right now, and that BB realizes that they are winning all these one goal games because they think they can. If that confidence gets rocked a little things could easily go into the tank.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
No they aren't. The only regulars who have been out of the second round are Perry, Getzlaf, Thompson, and Beauchemin. You can add Heatley, Brewer, Bourque, and...Bryzgalov to that list, which may be part of why they were added, but this team is nowhere near a playoff proven team. It's like saying that St. Louis is a playoff team because they have big players and are strong down the center as well.

I agree that Bryzgalov needs some game time, but I'm sure the coaching staff won't play him until they think he's up to speed - they're the ones who see him in practice. They're also the ones who've seen Gibson in practice. I think that the folks who do this for a living and see 80-90% more of them than we do are probably better judges as to who should be playing than we are. Call me crazy.

I also think that this team is being held together and winning through smoke and mirrors right now, and that BB realizes that they are winning all these one goal games because they think they can. If that confidence gets rocked a little things could easily go into the tank.

I think you're misunderstanding what I meant by 'playoff team'. Or I'm using the wrong term. So apologies for the lack of clarity

When I say playoff team I mean that they are for sure going to make the playoffs. They might (probably will) suck when they get there (as we've seen the last two years) because of our coach but they'll still make it.

Boudreau is clearly over coaching the regular season right now. There is no reason for Freddie to play more than 70 games. We need him fresh if we want any chance against the Hawks/Kings in the playoffs

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think you're misunderstanding what I meant by 'playoff team'. Or I'm using the wrong term. So apologies for the lack of clarity

When I say playoff team I mean that they are for sure going to make the playoffs. They might (probably will) suck when they get there (as we've seen the last two years) because of our coach but they'll still make it.

Boudreau is clearly over coaching the regular season right now. There is no reason for Freddie to play more than 70 games. We need him fresh if we want any chance against the Hawks/Kings in the playoffs

Ah, gotcha. I thought you were using the LA "built for the playoffs" term, my mistake.

I hope he doesn't play over 60. There's a big correlation between playing a lot of games and playoff failure.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

I couldn't agree more. Andersen definitely gives us a better chance of beating the Canucks but at the end of the day, is it worth burning a guy out over. He's being relied on far too much at the moment. BB managed to completely burn out Hiller after the Olympics last year, I'd hate to see the same happen again this year.

I hope he doesn't play over 60. There's a big correlation between playing a lot of games and playoff failure.

Yeah there is. Not since Brodeur over a decade ago has a goalie very often been able to play 65+ games and go deep in the playoffs.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Luckily next month we have a very easy schedule. Freddy gets rest even if he plays all our games. :sarcasm: But I agree we should give him enough rest, because he seems really benefit from that one game dayoff. One softie against Sharks, but other than that he has been superb.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

Over-coaching the regular season? Like he should be taking some games easy rather than try to win every game? That's complete nonsense. Every team tries to win every game. Or at the very least a team that is capable of winning any given game tries to win every game. Boudreau is playing Freddie as much as he is because Freddie is giving him quality goaltending and his other options are an over-the-hill veteran and a talented rookie stuck in the minors. This notion that he is more concerned with the regular season is such bull ****.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Over-coaching the regular season? Like he should be taking some games easy rather than try to win every game? That's complete nonsense. Every team tries to win every game. Or at the very least a team that is capable of winning any given game tries to win every game. Boudreau is playing Freddie as much as he is because Freddie is giving him quality goaltending and his other options are an over-the-hill veteran and a talented rookie stuck in the minors. This notion that he is more concerned with the regular season is such bull ****.
Yes. They all do it. Otherwise you would never have games where they rest the starters. Especially when a spot is clinched.

You do try to limit games that you completely concede. So if you thing both goalies are total crap, you play them as little as possible. But you also need to manage your star players so they don't break down.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
What you're talking about usually applies to the last game of the year not a vast sum over the course of the whole year.
It still applies through the year, otherwise backup goalies would get a lot less work than they do. Or star players wouldn't be rested in blowouts.

I just think there's a distinction between trying to win the most games per season and winning every game.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
It still applies through the year, otherwise backup goalies would get a lot less work than they do. Or star players wouldn't be rested in blowouts.

I just think there's a distinction between trying to win the most games per season and winning every game.

Each game they play is about that game. A coach needs to be conscious of how much he's playing his goalie but otherwise your focus is to have your 20 guys play to win the game. Every game. I feel like what you're saying is that it would be better if this team was taking it a little bit easier which would undoubtedly result in a lot more losses. Do you want this team to lose more?

I don't like how much Andersen is playing but what was Boudreau supposed to do while Gibson was out? I hate that we have Bryzgalov and the coaching staff has no faith in him but that's Murray's fault. Boudreau can use what he has and until Gibson is back or Bryzgalov actually plays to the level of an NHL goaltender he has to ride Andersen.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Your world is too black and white.

There are multiple scenarios where you can trade a loss or two short-term for more wins in the course of a season. Another example is playing a young kid more minutes in the hopes that he will be a better player by the end of the season.

You think Bryzgalov is terrible and washed up. I have a hunch (but am not sure) that this is wrong. He was decent as recently as last year. Once he gets into shape, it is possible that he is better than LaBarbera and roughly equivalent with Gibson. Yes the timing is a little late, but over the rest of the season it's possible that Bryzgalov is good enough to keep Andersen under 65 games. Which could be good for us through the season and potential postseason.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Your world is too black and white.

There are multiple scenarios where you can trade a loss or two short-term for more wins in the course of a season. Another example is playing a young kid more minutes in the hopes that he will be a better player by the end of the season.

You think Bryzgalov is terrible and washed up. I have a hunch (but am not sure) that this is wrong. He was decent as recently as last year. Once he gets into shape, it is possible that he is better than LaBarbera and roughly equivalent with Gibson. Yes the timing is a little late, but over the rest of the season it's possible that Bryzgalov is good enough to keep Andersen under 65 games. Which could be good for us through the season and potential postseason.

That never happens. Every time the puck drops those 20 guys are trying to win. There might be games where they don't lose sleep over not winning the game but that's not the same at all. You can pull back on a guy's ice-time to preserve him a bit but only if you're in a situation to win despite not playing you're top guys so much. Boudreau doesn't have that luxury right now.

Bryzgalov is not as good as Gibson, that's my point. He was terrible in his two outings but that's not to suggest he'll stay terrible. He won't get any sharper if he doesn't play. I'm just not as comfortable playing him over Gibson. Gibson never played his way to the minors. He deserves to play at this level again and prove if he belongs here or not.

PCDiesel

Jun 17, 2011
Boston, MA
That never happens. Every time the puck drops those 20 guys are trying to win. There might be games where they don't lose sleep over not winning the game but that's not the same at all. You can pull back on a guy's ice-time to preserve him a bit but only if you're in a situation to win despite not playing you're top guys so much. Boudreau doesn't have that luxury right now.

Bryzgalov is not as good as Gibson, that's my point. He was terrible in his two outings but that's not to suggest he'll stay terrible. He won't get any sharper if he doesn't play. I'm just not as comfortable playing him over Gibson. Gibson never played his way to the minors. He deserves to play at this level again and prove if he belongs here or not.

Am I the only one here who thinks Gibson still deserves a shot at being the number one goaltender? I mean I think he is better than Freddie, but Freddie has been playing great.

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA
Maybe around the playoffs, like last year. Though I doubt that happens. Both Freddy and Gibby have proven they can have good, short stretches of performances. Freddy is more proven to this point. His start to the season was fantastic.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Maybe around the playoffs, like last year. Though I doubt that happens. Both Freddy and Gibby have proven they can have good, short stretches of performances. Freddy is more proven to this point. His start to the season was fantastic.

He's also been good since he got a little rest. But, I don't think you should doubt that boudreau would swap goalies in the playoffs. His goaltending decisions are quite frankly stupid.

I'm also not certain where the idea that Gibson deserves a shot at being number one is coming from. You either earn it or you don't. Gibson's professional resume is woefully short. The only reason he was in the running for the 1A spot this season is because we didn't have anyone obviously better on the roster to start the year.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Am I the only one here who thinks Gibson still deserves a shot at being the number one goaltender? I mean I think he is better than Freddie, but Freddie has been playing great.

Not unless Andersen actually struggles. Gibson hasn't shown that he can actually perform as a #1 and carry a team.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Not unless Andersen actually struggles. Gibson hasn't shown that he can actually perform as a #1 and carry a team.

Well he hasn't really had much of a chance to show that. When he says deserves a shot at being the #1 I think he means the chance to earn that spot, which I agree with.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Well he hasn't really had much of a chance to show that. When he says deserves a shot at being the #1 I think he means the chance to earn that spot, which I agree with.

The chances he's had haven't been the type of performances that scream "this guy needs to start". I disagree with platooning goalies. All it typically does is mess with both guys' heads and prevent either one from really settling into a groove. If a team has no obvious starter and wants to do that until a starter is chosen that's ok, but once a team has one (and the Ducks do) it's time to stop the head games. He gets his shot next year.

Gibson is getting the chance to prove he's that good. But this team has enough issues that we don't need to add goalie insecurity to them IMO.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
The chances he's had haven't been the type of performances that scream "this guy needs to start". I disagree with platooning goalies. All it typically does is mess with both guys' heads and prevent either one from really settling into a groove. If a team has no obvious starter and wants to do that until a starter is chosen that's ok, but once a team has one (and the Ducks do) it's time to stop the head games. He gets his shot next year.

Gibson is getting the chance to prove he's that good. But this team has enough issues that we don't need to add goalie insecurity to them IMO.

I thought he was looking good and getting better before he got hurt. If he didn't get hurt I'm not so sure we'd have an obvious starter at this point. But, I'm sure you won't agree with that.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I thought he was looking good and getting better before he got hurt. If he didn't get hurt I'm not so sure we'd have an obvious starter at this point. But, I'm sure you won't agree with that.

I think Gibson was horrible in his first start, mediocre in the next two, and good in his last game before getting hurt. I thought he was mediocre/carried by the team (not bad, but he wasn't the main reason they won) in every game last year - the team stood on its head in every one of his wins, and when they didn't, he gave up bad goals.

However, I was saying Andersen wasn't playing all that well a long time before it was fashionable to do so (about February-March), and if Gibson had kept progressing that might have been the case. I don't feel that Gibson has shown he could have been the guy to succeed when we were down so many D, but I'm not of the opinion that he's remotely topped out with his talent and I have no idea what his progression curve will look like (or would have looked like if he'd stayed healthy). I just don't think he's shown much more than promise at this point, and when you have a starter who is winning games, I think it's extremely bad coaching to show a lack of confidence in that guy just because there's a shiny new toy who might be (but isn't yet) better than him you could try too.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I don't believe a goaltender deserves a chance to prove he can be a number 1. I think he earns it. Gibson hasn't earned it. Sure, you can argue he hasn't had the opportunity, but if he's going to make a claim it will probably start by him tearing up the AHL and forcing Anaheim to give him another look.

With that in mind, I don't think Andersen has been anything special either. I'm hoping Gibson can get a bunch of games in the AHL this season, and then will be in a position to show what he can do in the NHL next season. If this is the Andersen we see in the future, I don't think Gibson needs to light the world on fire to surpass him.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Gibson might well end up being the next greatest thing. But to paraphrase DVM, nothing about his short time in the NHL screams out, "you have to play me".

The team hasn't given up on Gibson. He'll get more chances when the time is right for the team. But not just because of his pre-NHL hype. Let's not turn this into another Vatanen fiasco.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad