Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I'm a Canuck fan looking for some opinions on newly acquired Canuck Derek Forbort.

It seems the Canucks' media, at least, is expecting Forbort to be the Canucks' 3rd pair LD this coming season. Seeing that he played all of 35 games last season and 54 the season before I'm wondering if he's still considered up to that by the fans that watched him the last couple of season.

I hardly remember noticing him in the past so effectively can't say much of anything about his game just from watching. Looking at his stats I see:

-32 year old whose number of games and time on ice have been fading, though he still averaged reasonable 3rd pair minutes in the games he got into
-he has never scored a lot but has (except as a sheltered rookie in a partial season) been used in defensive situations even at even strength, particularly by the Bruins
-he has good size and takes a moderate amount of penalties
-he has played a lot of penalty kill minutes and almost no power play time.

Ok, I see a pretty sound defensive defenceman whose offensive contributions have dwindled to almost nothing but whose numbers suggest he's been reasonably effective defensively despite his decreasing playing time.

Are my inferences from his stats incorrect? Can you add anything about his game, his health, why his playing time is so low the last couple of seasons and take a guess at whether at this stage of his career he'll still be good enough to fill a regular 3rd pair role on the Canucks?

Thanks very much.

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Bottom pairing guy who's good at blocking shots on the PK. Hands aren't great and he's a step behind reacting to when things get chaotic down low. Not much of a transition game and more in the mold of a traditional stay at home dman. Moderately physical. Good character guy off the ice and teammates seemed to really like him. He's not a bad option as the 3LHD but he is replaceable.

Reactions: tyhee

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Forbort is a good guy to have on the roster and the bottom pair. He has gotten hurt a lot though. We excellent the start of last year, and then got injured and tried to come back and wasn't effective when he returned. Came back in postseason playing with 2 significant injuries. When healthy he is a very good defender on the PK

Classy guy, will play really hard, and is good in the locker room.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I'm a Canuck fan looking for some opinions on newly acquired Canuck Derek Forbort.

It seems the Canucks' media, at least, is expecting Forbort to be the Canucks' 3rd pair LD this coming season. Seeing that he played all of 35 games last season and 54 the season before I'm wondering if he's still considered up to that by the fans that watched him the last couple of season.

I hardly remember noticing him in the past so effectively can't say much of anything about his game just from watching. Looking at his stats I see:

-32 year old whose number of games and time on ice have been fading, though he still averaged reasonable 3rd pair minutes in the games he got into
-he has never scored a lot but has (except as a sheltered rookie in a partial season) been used in defensive situations even at even strength, particularly by the Bruins
-he has good size and takes a moderate amount of penalties
-he has played a lot of penalty kill minutes and almost no power play time.

Ok, I see a pretty sound defensive defenceman whose offensive contributions have dwindled to almost nothing but whose numbers suggest he's been reasonably effective defensively despite his decreasing playing time.

Are my inferences from his stats incorrect? Can you add anything about his game, his health, why his playing time is so low the last couple of seasons and take a guess at whether at this stage of his career he'll still be good enough to fill a regular 3rd pair role on the Canucks?

Thanks very much.
He's a bottom pair dman that needs sheltered minutes to have success at 5v5, but he can eat like 2+ min a game on the PK. Has size, but doesn't use it as frequently as you'll want him to.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Hard worker, brave shot blocker, decent positional PKer, but awful hands, cannot transition the puck out his own end very well, and if the play in the D zone is free-flowing and not grinding along the walls, he is a pylon. He also gets hurt rather frequently these days. I agree with @dugg133 above: for a big guy, he doesn't leverage his size as often as you'd want to see. He can pin a guy on the boards pretty effectively, though, so there is that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium