Prospect Info: General Discussion of Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

EP Rinkside so paywall for their skaters article:

23 - Konsta Helenius
53 - Jiri Kulich
57 - Noah Ostlund (Ohgren at 54, Lekkerimaki at 43)

Of note, Savoie they have ranked at 74 (Firkus is 100th, Yager 85th), Benson is considered graduated, and Rosen gets an honorable mention.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Always seems weird that guys slip down these lists while they're toiling away in developmental men's leagues to get them ready for the NHL. Not that I remember kulichs EP ranking last year but I'm assuming.

Reactions: HOOats

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
None of them are elite or first line projections, so around the early 30s should be fair.
I guess they weight projection more than dev. path.
They longer you spent in the minors the lower you will fall unless exeptional.
Kulichs 2nd season was less impressive than his first, especially he struggled after coming back from the WJC.
Also the center experiment probably didn't help.

The Savoie trade also shows that we overvalue or prospects quite a bit in terms of league interest.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
None of them are elite or first line projections, so around the early 30s should be fair.
Kulichs 2nd season was less impressive than his first, especially he struggled after coming back from the WJC.

The Savoie trade also shows that we overvalue or prospects quite a bit in terms of league interest.
I don't know, pretty brutal shiny new toy approach on these rankings for me.

Kulich could absolutely be argued as a first line projection still. His production has been exceptional. He has no size or skating concerns. His fully elite first season shouldn't be used to discount a very good second season. I'd like to see the forwards ranked ahead of him produce like he has in the AHL/WJC through his D+2. 53 is a far cry from early 30s.

I hope he used some of the doubt floating around him as motivation in his 20 YEAR OLD summer.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

One of the problems with constantly drafting guys who are perceived to be undervalued is that they are in fact undervalued and if you go to trade them, well, they will continue to be undervalued.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Another person who specializes in a particular league has a list up (and @Brock does very good work generally, including over at McKeens):

...and for a list that with the HM's features 47 players, Ethan Miedema is not there at all. We can hope he has a great summer and gets himself going in the right direction but his not getting a PTO or being around the Amerks as they went into the playoffs was a telling omission IMO.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Another person who specializes in a particular league has a list up (and @Brock does very good work generally, including over at McKeens):

...and for a list that with the HM's features 47 players, Ethan Miedema is not there at all. We can hope he has a great summer and gets himself going in the right direction but his not getting a PTO or being around the Amerks as they went into the playoffs was a telling omission IMO.
Hopefully that was a kick in the ass to Miedema to motivate him. Make him realize he needs to work for it

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

Chris O got Scott Wheeler from The Athletic on to talk about the Sabres defense prospects. It was a good conversation and Wheeler teased how he and Matthew Fairburn are working on an article about Komarov that should come out during or shortly after the prospects challenge.

The secret is starting to get out about Vsevolod. It will be fun to see him in the A.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Chris O got Scott Wheeler from The Athletic on to talk about the Sabres defense prospects. It was a good conversation and Wheeler teased how he and Matthew Fairburn are working on an article about Komarov that should come out during or shortly after the prospects challenge.

I was slightly surprised that he is ranking Novikov as a B+ prospect and Strbak as B.

But our board prospect ranking has Novikov ahead of Strbak so it makes sense.

RhinosLastFan

Nov 7, 2017
Listing some of them on RW is odd - Poltapov is a left shot who was normally on LW with CSKA and it looks more like that would be what he winds up being. Rosen has played both wings, same with Rousek.

They had very, very few righthanded shooting players last year in Rochester. Tullio gives them a 2nd to go along with Nadeau who has work to do to be up in Rochester.
That makes better sense. At least gives us some AHL depth of righties. I didn't know we're so sparce there. I think they see him as a center, but Helenius, if shifted to wing, would be 3. Someone would need to between him, Kulich and Ostlund I'd imagine.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Wahlberg should definitely be cooked for a while or until he kicks the door down. He's so exciting though. A breakout from him is one of a bunch of potential easter eggs that could change the calculus of subsequent rosters.

I do agree with Chad that Wahlberg could see a few games in the right scenario. If he's strong in Roch with his unique skill set there, and a few of our skate and bang guys miss time together, he could slot in.

Can't wait to watch him in Roch. I predict he had a big boy summer and is going to be a 19yo physical problem for AHL opponents.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Just keep slow cooking these guys Quinn and jjp only going into their 3rd year. We have plenty of time to work in kulich, ostlund, rosen, helenius and wahlberg along with neuchev. Most players aren't ready until 22-23 we can afford to keep letting these guys get better and more conditioned in the ahl.

Reactions: KeepKane

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I don't know, pretty brutal shiny new toy approach on these rankings for me.

Kulich could absolutely be argued as a first line projection still. His production has been exceptional. He has no size or skating concerns. His fully elite first season shouldn't be used to discount a very good second season. I'd like to see the forwards ranked ahead of him produce like he has in the AHL/WJC through his D+2. 53 is a far cry from early 30s.

I hope he used some of the doubt floating around him as motivation in his 20 YEAR OLD summer.
Kulich never has and never will be projected as a first liner.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Wahlberg should definitely be cooked for a while or until he kicks the door down. He's so exciting though. A breakout from him is one of a bunch of potential easter eggs that could change the calculus of subsequent rosters.

I do agree with Chad that Wahlberg could see a few games in the right scenario. If he's strong in Roch with his unique skill set there, and a few of our skate and bang guys miss time together, he could slot in.

Can't wait to watch him in Roch. I predict he had a big boy summer and is going to be a 19yo physical problem for AHL opponents.
I think the Sabres are in a spot where the kids are going to have to cook in Rochester until they can force their way onto the NHL roster almost across the board.

Benson might be the last guy that gets rushed to the Sabres roster for a while.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
He'll spend the year in the AHL, and then will audition for Greenway's spot. The year gives him time to add more strength and better acclimate to the NHL style
No doubt but he'll sip some coffee and I think he'll do well if he sticks to his game. Could be a nice cheap upgrade next year.

Even if he performs well, I think they'll push him back down unless there's a real pinch in Buffalo. He's in the same tier right now as Kulich and Rosen. Probably won't make the team out of camp but will probably get some games matching his skill set. There's a great competition now amongst prospects.

Whether any end up NHL regs this year will depend on their NHL performance and the injuries/performance of the guys above them. That's all pretty standard. Not a gift or a rush.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad