GDT: GDT #6 Detroit Red Wings vs New York Islanders | October 22nd | 7:45 PM | F/L 1-0

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Thoroughly unimpressive.

The amount of failed zone entry attempts was uncountable, especially on the PPs.

You can get shutout now and again.

But 3 times in so few games?

It's a problem.

And they know it. They're battling that puck so often, you can see that the worm is in.

But an overall dreadful start for Roy. One regulation win per six contests is not cutting it.
I’d like to see a major shakeup to the effect of the below.

Lee-Horvat-Palmieri
Tsyplakov-Nelson-Holmstrom
Cizikas-Barzal-Wahlstrom
MacLean-Pageau-Foudy

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The team is the epitome of mediocre. I hope Lou is realizing this and trades Palmieri/Nelson for assets at the deadline and signs the other to a 3-4 year deal (if they want to stay).
I hope the owners are realizing this.

I had a very long workday yesterday, and didn't watch. But it's too soon to worry. I still think they're a wild card team. Horvat is going through a serious funk. But so long as the D stays relatively healthy, and Sorokin is Sorokin, I think they'll be a WC team.

That they don't have a gamebreaking offensive player who can do everything is not news.
That sounds very meh.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The team is the epitome of mediocre. I hope Lou is realizing this and trades Palmieri/Nelson for assets at the deadline and signs the other to a 3-4 year deal (if they want to stay).

This is the problem.

Why in the world would you think that the GM who led them to "mediocre" is going to do anything, but what he's been doing the last 5 years...Which is to led them to more mediocre?

Things are not going to change until the GM is changed.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
About 13K there. It's already a very expensive experience to attend games, and getting there ain't easy. I get it's a Tuesday night in October with MLB and Football going on......but it's not a good sign. Hoping this trend prompts Ownership to make the changes that inevitably have to happen sooner than later.
What changes? The only changes that has to be done is a complete rebuild which will no doubt ensure crappy(er) attendance for at least a few years but there might be a light at the end of the tunnel, there is nothing that can be done with this current squad that will make them better that will increase attendance

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
What changes? The only changes that has to be done is a complete rebuild which will no doubt ensure crappy(er) attendance for at least a few years but there might be a light at the end of the tunnel, there is nothing that can be done with this current squad that will make them better that will increase attendance

Ah...So let's keep quadrupling down on a team that slowly gets worse and has no shot to win a Cup? Where will attendance be when Lee, Nelson, Cizikas, Palmieri, Barzal, Horvat, Pelech, etc are all in their mid/late 30's and even worse than they are now?

People so terrified of a rebuild because "it doesn't guarantee anything," but are ok staying the course when that's a guaranteed path to no Cup.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
This is the problem.

Why in the world would you think that the GM who led them to "mediocre" is going to do anything, but what he's been doing the last 5 years...Which is to led them to more mediocre?

I think the problem is the age of said GM. I think if he was 55-60 years old, he would rip the band-aid off and shift his mindset towards the future.

Problem is that he won't give up his "win now" thought process, because its not really in his nature but also because I can't see him willing to stick around for a 2-3-4 year reset.

Reactions: Green

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
ok...3 shutouts out of 6 is not good...we have however overall played well...well enough to win these three games had we players who could shoot past the opposing goaltender and not at them. They are playing a better game than the start of last year which ic a small positive but still much to work on.

As painful as it may be have to give it 20 games...hell, gave the Giants more than 25% of the season before i bailed....That, almost killed me so.....

Reactions: Potvottier

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
It is early — and things can change. But out of the gate this is the same team we have seen for a while now. They are just past their best-by date at too many places and are more likely than not to find themselves mired in the mushy middle and it will likely take other teams collapsing for this Islander team to get into the playoffs. If that should happen, it will be a quick first round loss again.

Random thoughts:
Barzal has abandoned his shooting and puck moving quickness that gave him success last season. He is holding the puck way, way, way too long. Look what happened when Roy took him off that first PP unit last night — other than the last late PP, it was so much crisper with puck movement, passing and much more shooting. The issue I have had with 13 has been a constant willingness to not shoot. He is completely predictable and can be defended because of that predictability.

Dobson has looked solid on the offensive side of the puck, but his back end defensive play has been shaky.

Pelech and Pullock have been a mixed bag. Too many turnovers.

Overall defensively, there has been very poor coverage in front in particular.

Overall offensively, they just dont shoot enough.

the PK and PP remain a disaster.

The saving grace — Goaltending has been outstanding. But that will obly get us so far.

If come deadline they are on the outside looking in — trading assets for prospects and picks is required.

Been saying it for a while now: NYI need a new GM.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think the problem is the age of said GM. I think if he was 55-60 years old, he would rip the band-aid off and shift his mindset towards the future.

Problem is that he won't give up his "win now" thought process, because its not really in his nature but also because I can't see him willing to stick around for a 2-3-4 year reset.

I really don't think it's an age issue as literally Lou is GM'ing as he always has like with the Devils and Leafs. He's always foot on the pedal/add vets/pay long-term deals etc.

That said regardless if it's his behavior, age, or anything else we have a GM who is quadrupling down on mediocre and overpaid. People don't want to rebuild, but the way our GM is running things all he's doing is leading us to a rebuild eventually...And the way it looks the longer we wait the worse the pain will be.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
I really don't think it's an age issue as literally Lou is GM'ing as he always has like with the Devils and Leafs. He's always foot on the pedal/add vets/pay long-term deals etc.

That said regardless if it's his behavior, age, or anything else we have a GM who is quadrupling down on mediocre and overpaid. People don't want to rebuild, but the way our GM is running things all he's doing is leading us to a rebuild eventually...And the way it looks the longer we wait the worse the pain will be.
I concur. It is not age specific. Its just LL. He did the same exact thing as the Devils windo from the late 1990s began to close. Over extended old players and refused to move on. It cost him his job — and sadly it has not cost him his job here (yet).

Look — I get it. Not popular to make the changes that are needed — in the case of the NYI: especially if they are out of it by the weeks leading up to the deadline — a smart GM would move Nelson, Palms and JGP for max possible value. You would then go into the offseason armed with extra picks and prospects and cap space. Then build around Horvat, Barzal, Dobson and Sorokin.

This does NOT need to be a total tear down. They can do a rebuild on the fly effectively.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I concur. It is not age specific. Its just LL. He did the same exact thing as the Devils windo from the late 1990s began to close. Over extended old players and refused to move on. It cost him his job — and sadly it has not cost him his job here (yet).

Look — I get it. Not popular to make the changes that are needed — in the case of the NYI: especially if they are out of it by the weeks leading up to the deadline — a smart GM would move Nelson, Palms and JGP for max possible value. You would then go into the offseason armed with extra picks and prospects and cap space. Then build around Horvat, Barzal, Dobson and Sorokin.

This does NOT need to be a total tear down. They can do a rebuild on the fly effectively.
How about keep Sorokin, Dobson, and Horvat and go from there?

Agreed about moving on from Nelson, Palms, and if you can JGP. Trade Barzal to a team stupid enough to want or take him (there’s always one). Use those assets to calm down the gameplay instead of his chaos on the ice that goes nowhere.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
The team lost nearly 50% of its full season ticket holders. They’re down to approximately. 6,500 from 12,000. Which is why the team is pushing flex plans now.
Had fulls inaugural season at UBS, then a half, quarter last year, nothing this year. Cheaper to buy on the secondary market and go when I want to. The team is just not worth the time $ and energy.

I saw 3 wins out of 12 games last year amongst a multitude of blown leads and a few shutouts, (Don't even get me started on the Stadium Series). Went to the Home Opener this year, another blown lead game. Last one for a while for me.

Shut out in 3/6 games. But please let me line up to pay for parking, a half mile trek to the building each way, for the grateful opportunity to pay even more money in arena to watch them outshoot a team 3:1 and lose 1-0. A joke.

Last edited:

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Had fulls inaugural season at UBS, then a half, quarter last year, nothing this year. Cheaper to buy on the secondary market and go when I want to. The team is just not worth the time $ and energy.

I saw 3 wins out of 12 games last year amongst a multitude of blown leads and a few shutouts, (Don't even get me started on the Stadium Series). Went to the Home Opener this year, another blown lead game. Last one for a while for me.

Shut out in 3/6 games. But please let me line up to pay for parking, a half mile trek to the building each way, for the grateful opportunity to pay even more money in arena to watch them outshoot a team 3:1 and lose 1-0. A joke.
I’ve had tickets for the full UBS run and there is a lot of truth to what you say. Tough to get face value back for certain games. I definitely do better selling parking.

Still enjoy going but this start has been rough, just no excitement.

Reactions: NYI365

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
The team lost nearly 50% of its full season ticket holders. They’re down to approximately. 6,500 from 12,000. Which is why the team is pushing flex plans now.
Where do you get this information?

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I’ve had tickets for the full UBS run and there is a lot of truth to what you say. Tough to get face value back for certain games. I definitely do better selling parking.

Still enjoy going but this start has been rough, just no excitement.
It's a shame because I love UBS itself, The Park, and even Belmont Hall. I do not love the reasons cited above, and the $18+ beer, $20 sandwiches etc. makes it hard to justify paying to watch the same Groundhog Day team game in game out.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

Pretty much. I last had tickets in 22-23, and going to games felt like a chore instead of something I should enjoy.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
This is the problem.

Part of why I believe this may happen are the following:

- he did not sign Nelson/Palmieri yet
-Roy was hired as head coach
- we have seen this offseason as a bit different. A younger player in Duclair was signed to a reasonable deal, the picks were kept (which not many predicted) and they actually selected players.

The fact of the matter is this offseason is what many around here wanted. Keep the picks, draft players, bring in low risk players at reasonable deals with a bit of pop.

You may be right that nothing changes until the GM is changed though.

Reactions: NYI365

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY

To quote the late, Great Gordon Lightfoot "If you have to face tomorrow do it soon"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad