GDT: GDT #40 Vancouver Canucks vs New York Islanders | January 9th | 7:30 PM | F/5-2 L

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Sorokin's confidence is shot under Lambert just like Barzal's was under Trotz.
Hey, he got an assist and was a -3. But he’s on pace for 80ppg!

Is Barzal gonna show up at some point? Or just against lesser competition in AZ so everyone gets all excited again.

Amazing when your $9M player is a ghost when the team needs someone to step up or against stronger teams.

Reactions: ekill08x

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Sure let’s get rid of Barzal, Sorokin and Horvat too and let’s collect draft picks and win 20 games a year and play in front of 5000 people every night.
It is either that or fight to make a wild card in the next 2 years and likely get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round, and than expect a dreadful team in 2025 that is likely going to suck for the next decade as they have no youth, and yes I would consider trading those 3 guys you mentioned only I am sure Barzal is the only one you might get a decent return on.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
This will be worse than a rebuild. 15-22 in the league = the mushy middle.

The time to tear it down came and went 2 years ago.
Fact, or really last year, team should have traded Sorokin, it was insane to me when Lou decided to add

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Give Vancouver credit they came into the Tristate and kicked ass , says something about the team.
Quinn Hughes is the best skater the Islanders have faced this year. He is scary good, and unlike Makar (and his brother, Jack) Q Hughes's game doesn't seem to expose him to hits. He's picks his spots to make a wow play, and the rest of the time, he always makes the right decision & then quickly executes. If he stays healthy (why shouldn't he the way he plays), he's gonna get his first of several Norris trophies.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Quinn Hughes is the best skater the Islanders have faced this year. He is scary good, and unlike Makar (and his brother, Jack) Q Hughes's game doesn't seem to expose him to hits. He's picks his spots to make a wow play, and the rest of the time, he always makes the right decision & then quickly executes. If he stays healthy (why shouldn't he the way he plays), he's gonna get his first of several Norris trophies.
Absolutely one of the best out there if not. Was the only fun part of the night to watch. Not happy we lost, but happy for Vancouver fans to , at least to this point, have a fun team to watch. Oh, and lest i forget, a real coach.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Absolutely one of the best out there if not. Was the only fun part of the night to watch. Not happy we lost, but happy for Vancouver fans to , at least to this point, have a fun team to watch. Oh, and lest i forget, a real coach.
Unbelievable luck for the Canucks to get him. He should've been drafted no later than 3rd overall, and I'm not saying that retrospectively. I thought (and said) as much at the time that if miraculously moved up to 2nd overall in the lottery they should pick him. The hockey sense, technique, and skating ability were all there - not difficult to project. Yeah, he wasn't strong enough, but he had literally everything else but the one thing that naturally develops, and can also most intentionally be improved.

Reactions: Lek

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
It was that bad huh?
Uh, yeah. Really, had you not mentioned you were not actually watching the game, no one here would have known.

The really sad part is in watching post game interviews...Lambert has no idea it is he, who is the problem. As well, the players...well they look discouraged. While i think losing the room as a head coach occurs less frequently than fans think or perceive, it is looking as that is the road we are on here.

It truly is time to make that move. Wait too much longer then it is a moot in season move.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Well, as expected, Vancouver was just more talented. A better-skating club with more individual talent that works well together. And they ran a busy and hard forecheck.

I didn't see "laziness" from these guys. A well-constructed and run club at the moment. And it seems like all their skill players are showing up at the same time (based on this tri-state area swing, at least).

This said, yet another game where 4+ goals against are scored (with Sorokin in goal) and yet another game where we could barely dent the opponent's #2 goalie.

I thought this was a team the boys coulda popped 3-4 goals in on. Chances were there.

In any case, we all looked at this schedule and knew it was gonna be a hard month. 3 losses in the first 4 games of this brutal month.

PELECH:
That third goal by Pettersson in the 2nd period, this is where we saw the kind of timing and wherewithall players lose when they're out of the line-up. When you're up and running, you realize you don't have any time there to do anything else but move that puck up the ice with the first whack.

That wherewithal just wasn't there.

And that pick-pocketing looked uggggggglllllly!

Reactions: NYI365

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Cizikas being out just means more cal clutterbuck at center instead of Ishakov or Kuhlman. Give this team some damn spark please.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
This will be worse than a rebuild. 15-22 in the league = the mushy middle.

The time to tear it down came and went 2 years ago.
15 & 16 is still playoffs. I'll take that for as long as I can over 23rd-32nd for 4-5 years (which is what a rebuild would be).

Well, as expected, Vancouver was just more talented. A better-skating club with more individual talent that works well together. And they ran a busy and hard forecheck.

I didn't see "laziness" from these guys. A well-constructed and run club at the moment. And it seems like all their skill players are showing up at the same time (based on this tri-state area swing, at least).
Same. A talented team had their A game and a less talented team did not. The overreactions here (as usual) are nuts. Teams that lose (especially to one of the best teams in the league) rarely "look good."

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
15 & 16 is still playoffs. I'll take that for as long as I can over 23rd-32nd for 4-5 years (which is what a rebuild would be).

Same. A talented team had their A game and a less talented team did not. The overreactions here (as usual) are nuts. Teams that lose (especially to one of the best teams in the league) rarely "look good."
Im more concerned that the isles looked this bad against the Canucks on the backend of a back to back, than the Canucks who would've been well rested. Isles didn't do anything to make DeSmith have a hard night on the office. I got problems when this team just continues to be outworked and outcoached by anyone at all. It isn't good. And the schedule just makes me feel incredibly pessimistic.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Pageau has not been good the last five games(and all season). Totally hemmed in every game. We need more from a $5 million dollar 3C.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Im more concerned that the isles looked this bad against the Canucks on the backend of a back to back, than the Canucks who would've been well rested. Isles didn't do anything to make DeSmith have a hard night on the office. I got problems when this team just continues to be outworked and outcoached by anyone at all. It isn't good. And the schedule just makes me feel incredibly pessimistic.
That's fair. Though I'm not sure how we determine being "outcoached." At the end of the day, coaches are judged by wins and losses. And the Isles currently sit 6th in the conference.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
That's fair. Though I'm not sure how we determine being "outcoached." At the end of the day, coaches are judged by wins and losses. And the Isles currently sit 6th in the conference.
feels more like the coach is getting wins in spite of his management...

Barzal, Horvat, Sorokin, Dobson, and Nelson have carried this team to relevance. It feels like our biggest weakness this season was the things we ironically had years ago in a strong bottom 6, a penalty kill that was good, and great forechecking. Its honestly time to start considering the islanders without the Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck line after this season, regardless of playoffs or not.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Gunna be Van vs Rags in the Finals.

Lets hope and pray for a different result this time.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
feels more like the coach is getting wins in spite of his management...

Barzal, Horvat, Sorokin, Dobson, and Nelson have carried this team to relevance. It feels like our biggest weakness this season was the things we ironically had years ago in a strong bottom 6, a penalty kill that was good, and great forechecking. Its honestly time to start considering the islanders without the Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck line after this season, regardless of playoffs or not.
People have been saying that for 5 years now.

So Lambert gets blamed for the losses but given no credit for the wins? Sorry I can't support that. With the addition of Horvat and the emergence of Dobson, we've become a more offensive team (at the expense of some of the things you mentioned above). We're still a second tier team. There are the 1/2 dozen or so legit cup contenders and then NYI is in the group below that. As a great coach (;)) once said, "it is what it is."

Gunna be Van vs Rags in the Finals.

Lets hope and pray for a different result this time.
Both will be out in the first round.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
People have been saying that for 5 years now.

So Lambert gets blamed for the losses but given no credit for the wins? Sorry I can't support that. With the addition of Horvat and the emergence of Dobson, we've become a more offensive team (at the expense of some of the things you mentioned above). We're still a second tier team. There are the 1/2 dozen or so legit cup contenders and then NYI is in the group below that. As a great coach (;)) once said, "it is what it is."
well, you are what your record is. Lets see what they do this month. Make or break time after this.

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The power play went on a heater. That’s how they “carried us to relevance.” It was fool’s gold.

Now it cooled off and we’re scuffling for offense again. Meanwhile our foundation, the defense, is not good and it’s dragging us down.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The power play went on a heater. That’s how they “carried us to prominence.”

Now it cooled off and we’re scuffling for offense again. Meanwhile our foundation, the defense, is not good and it’s dragging us down.
They scored another power play goal last night

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2