Gary Bettman's contract

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
WHA had crappy attendance. Here is Houstons biggest average number:

Houston Aeros 9,180

Not great.

What does WHA attendance have to do with anything? If 1970s attendance is truly what we care about, then Detroit has some explaining to do.

CC Chiefs*

What does WHA attendance have to do with anything? If 1970s attendance is truly what we care about, then Detroit has some explaining to do.

Another poster pointed out the Houston attendance. But you are correct it has nothing really to with this thread.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Another poster pointed out the Houston attendance. But you are correct it has nothing really to with this thread.

Pointed out their AHL attendance, which is recent (and therefore relevant, as least as far as Houston is with respect to this thread - which is in question).

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
WHA had crappy attendance. Here is Houstons biggest average number:

Houston Aeros 9,180

Not great.

Of course you fail to mention that that was good enough for a Top-3 attendance in the WHA.

3 out of 5 years the Aeros were the #3 team in the League in attendance - ahead of Winnipeg.

But as stated above, 1970's WHA attendance is pretty much completely irrelevant to any current discussion.

Fugu

wow, what is all of your problems? :S obviously I meant everyone else as in all the people on the boards and other fans worldwide. sure I made a mistake by saying that but it only takes one person to point it out and simply correct it. also nobody answered my second question, do the GM's have to vote him back in or something?

They're pretty mean, aren't they?

I don't like Bettman either.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yet somehow the Houston Aeros are in the Top 10 in AHL attendance, outpacing "traditional markets" like Abbottsford, Rochester, and yes, even Hamilton.

Well, wait just a moment their Dr.No; when did the 70's end?. No one told me. Im sure their was a Garnet Palmetto playing Bass for Pablo Cruise?. Whats Rutherfords GAA since the Christmas break been like?. He said AHL... Relevant.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I like Bettman.

Listen to his radio show, he can actual back up his positions, and make those radical callers who call in screaming about Phoenix and Atlanta look like morons.

Not saying he is correct, just that I respect someone who can actually back up his position.

Fugu

The commissioner doesn't serve at the pleasure of the fans. The commissioner is accountable to the Board of Governors.

The agenda is not defined by the commissioner or the office. Each Governor has the ability to bring issues to the Board.

The commissioner sets the agenda, so he "can" control what gets aired. That's how Stern runs the NBA-- with an iron fist that makes Bettman look like a softy.

There is this overarching theme on this board that the commissior's office is some public trust. It isn't.

Responding to a generalization by generalizing. Step it up, leek.

;)

Still wrong. Plenty of people on this board think he's doing a pretty decent job.

The league is in pretty good shape overall. It's been growing tremendously. Ratings, revenues, and attendance are all high. The CBA that Bettman fought for has been a really good and stabilizing thing for the league.

While several teams struggle to find buyers. It's in great shape.

As for the CBA, the small market teams that are struggling have player costs taking up a higher percentage of their revenues under this system than the one they just dumped.

I call that progress. :sarcasm:

Has Bettman made some mistakes? Sure. Does the league have a handful of troubled franchises? Yes, but so does every league. I like that Bettman stood by the Penguins, Sabres, and Senators when they were going through bankruptcy and helped them find new ownership, and I like that he's doing the same for Phoenix. I don't think that moving franchises the every time they run into financial difficulties makes a good commissioner. Seems like the easy way out, but I think Bettman is taking the long-view here.

I actually agree on this point. He doesn't believe that relocation is the first or best answer. As I said elsewhere, the wrong problems were being solved-- it was never just about player costs. Revenue growth is disproportionate and the gap between the haves and have nots is widening.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
If this is an un-official poll count me in for a like. Anyone else think he could use a Moniker?

..... and to make the state of the league address.. "DIAMOND, Gary Bettman!!!!!". He would come running up on stage with the same opening music Elvis used from '68 on.... horn section blaring. Anyone smell burnt toast?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
..... and to make the state of the league address.. "DIAMOND, Gary Bettman!!!!!". He would come running up on stage with the same opening music Elvis used from '68 on.... horn section blaring. Anyone smell burnt toast?

If its Elvis for Gary ABD, just has to be....

A little less Conversation a little more action please
All this Aggravation aint satisfactionin me
A little less bark and a lotta more bite
A little less fight and a lotta more spark

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Personally, I believe Bettman needs a couple of big successes to keep his job secure.

I don't know what goals you would see on his 5 year plans, while he has succeeded in growing league revenues and improving the market exposure of the game in the US, he also has a couple of big misses.

The Phoenix fiasco looks bad on Gary. You can't blame Bettman for the failure of the Phoenix franchise, that you have to put on Steve Ellman and Jerry Moyes and their grand real estate plans and to some extent the City of Glendale and it's arena lease. However the way it was handled by the league, from the bold faced lies, the constantly shifting strategies and public statements, the bad PR having to sue Wayne Gretzky out of $9M, to the league ending up holding the bag (and the team) for $170M while the City of Glendale tries to float its high risk municipal bond, the tease, bait and switch game with Winnipeg, etc.; it all looks really bad on the league. If this bond issue flops Bettman should resign.

If the Atlanta sale goes south, it probably doesn't look good for Bettman either.

To his credit, I think Bettman has done everything that a commissioner can do to help Charles Wang and the Islanders apply leverage for the Lighthouse project.

I think it is fair to say that if the NHL is able to negotiate a better TV deal next year with Versus / NBC / ESPN, etc. it could very well save Bettman's job.

The Winter Classic / Heritage Classic and the 7/24 feature this year were very well done. I'm sure marketing the marquee players has been a goal for Bettman as well.

But all of the successes could easily be erased if the league ends up owning the Coyotes for much longer.

Reasoned Opinion

May 21, 2009
Logic Land
Gary Bettman's contract

His contract should be a percentage of the PROFIT teams in the Southern US turn each year. Take the combined profits of Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, both Florida teams and Carolina, say, and give him a percentage.....with any cumulative loss requiring a public flogging, against his own monies and with any cumulative period of two success loss years requiring him to resign but first apologize to each hockey fan on a (paid by himself) live television program that is called "I lied, it was all about my ego".....

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
His contract should be a percentage of the PROFIT teams in the Southern US turn each year. Take the combined profits of Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, both Florida teams and Carolina, say, and give him a percentage.....with any cumulative loss requiring a public flogging, against his own monies and with any cumulative period of two success loss years requiring him to resign but first apologize to each hockey fan on a (paid by himself) live television program that is called "I lied, it was all about my ego".....

Considering that the owners like how he's doing, I'm certain that he can negotiate a better contract for himself than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

CC Chiefs*

Considering that the owners like how he's doing, I'm certain that he can negotiate a better contract for himself than that. Then again, you already know this.

He made sure he got his super majority clause in his contract which makes him nearly untouchable.

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009

I find it interesting that there are so many that want to give GB blame for all the NHL's failures, but are unwilling to give him credit for its successes. Mod: delete.

Feb 12, 2003
On a side note of the OP's $5 Coyotes ticket claim -- from what I have seen the cheapest seats are about $35 in the upper bowl and unless there is some special promo I am not believing the $5 ticket. I know the point is moot to someone that feels that way, but [mod: OP may be misinformed, so let's not claim otherwise].

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
I find it interesting that there are so many that want to give GB blame for all the NHL's failures, but are unwilling to give him credit for its successes. The above post is a wonderful example of what I would term, "blind hate".

It is quite amusing. If Bettman and the NHL are so awful, why do they want an NHL team in (insert city here) in the first place. Obviously, they are fans of the game. Doesn't the commissioner have something to do with that? He's leading the league that they love and are begging for a team, so he must be doing something right.

If you think a commissioner and league are that awful, why do you follow it? Why do you beg for teams? Why do you spend all this time reading and writing about it? I don't like Bud Selig, I think he's been terrible for baseball, hence I no longer really follow baseball. That's not the case with disgruntled hockey fans who blame everything on Bettman, constantly criticize him, yet they can't stop watching the game. If he's been so awful, why are you a fan of the game? My favorite are really young people bashing Bettman. They became a fan of the game under his leadership. If he was that bad, how did you become a hockey fan to begin with? Wouldn't you just say "this league stinks, I'm watching something else?"

According to many Canadians, Bettman has a great bias against them, yet ratings and revenue have gone up tremendously in Canada under his watch. I'm certainly not a fan of everything Bettman and the BoG comes up with, but this personal hate is largely nonsense and doesn't make much sense. The numbers certainly don't bear out this constant complaining about him. If he's that biased against the Canadian market, why do the numbers keep rising? How has he gotten people to be that devoted to the sport that he's running? Is it all just luck? In spite of his reign as commissioner?

I'm sure the BoG would be more willing to get rid of Bettman if Canada DID stop watching games, buying tickets, etc. Then the league would look bad and would have to make some serious changes. Until then, forget about it. Canada can't get enough hockey and as long as owners want to keep spending their own money in so-called non-hockey markets, the status quo will be it. There's no impetus for the Canadian teams to want Bettman out, not while the money is rolling in.

If people really want Bettman out, especially in Canada, they should want nothing to do with the NHL at all. Nothing will change as long as they watch in droves and buy everything in sight. The more they beg, the more they watch, the better it makes Bettman look. Supply and demand. The demand for the NHL is more than the supply and that makes the commissioner look good.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
On a side note of the OP's $5 Coyotes ticket claim -- from what I have seen the cheapest seats are about $35 in the upper bowl and unless there is some special promo I am not believing the $5 ticket. I know the point is moot to someone that feels that way, [mod: del]

Evidently lies don't exist. You can rephrase or add commentary to nullify said lie. Its all a matter of perspective really.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't like Bettman, he's slimey, but the NHL has come a long way since the lockout from a financial perspective. That's his area of expertise, and he's always looked out for the fans, and what I do like about him is that he is not afraid to surround himself with good hockey people to make good decisions on hockey related matters. You really have to be a diehard fan of at least one other sport to distinguish a good commish from a bad one, and as a baseball fan, Bettman>>>>>>>>>>>>>Selig.

Fugu

It is quite amusing. If Bettman and the NHL are so awful, why do they want an NHL team in (insert city here) in the first place. Obviously, they are fans of the game. Doesn't the commissioner have something to do with that? He's leading the league that they love and are begging for a team, so he must be doing something right.

Some of us were fans long before Bettman became the commissioner. In fact, a lot of traditionalist fans dislike him because of the changes introduced during his watch. The expansions may have started before he came in, but he was brought in to oversee it.

So, no, I definitely disagree with your last sentence.
If you think a commissioner and league are that awful, why do you follow it? Why do you beg for teams? Why do you spend all this time reading and writing about it? I don't like Bud Selig, I think he's been terrible for baseball, hence I no longer really follow baseball. That's not the case with disgruntled hockey fans who blame everything on Bettman, constantly criticize him, yet they can't stop watching the game. If he's been so awful, why are you a fan of the game? My favorite are really young people bashing Bettman. They became a fan of the game under his leadership. If he was that bad, how did you become a hockey fan to begin with? Wouldn't you just say "this league stinks, I'm watching something else?"

Like I said above, Bettman and the NHL are not equivalent in my mind. I became a fan in the 1970's. I hope to be a fan long after Bettman leaves. That day can't come soon enough for some fans. In the meantime, I'll remain a fan of the franchise that also has existed long before Bettman or any of his immediate predecessors showed up. The commissioners will change, the teams (for the most part) will not.

According to many Canadians, Bettman has a great bias against them, yet ratings and revenue have gone up tremendously in Canada under his watch. I'm certainly not a fan of everything Bettman and the BoG comes up with, but this personal hate is largely nonsense and doesn't make much sense. The numbers certainly don't bear out this constant complaining about him. If he's that biased against the Canadian market, why do the numbers keep rising? How has he gotten people to be that devoted to the sport that he's running? Is it all just luck? In spite of his reign as commissioner?

Maybe he has little to do with the love of hockey in Canada? In fact, I'll go way out on a limb and say definitively that if Bettman disappeared tomorrow, the Canadians would still spend a lot of money on hockey, produce well over half the players in the league, and probably whine about something or other. :)

I may agree with a good part of the paragraph above, but let's not go crazy and "blame" Bettman for the Canadian fans' devotion to hockey.

I'm sure the BoG would be more willing to get rid of Bettman if Canada DID stop watching games, buying tickets, etc. Then the league would look bad and would have to make some serious changes. Until then, forget about it. Canada can't get enough hockey and as long as owners want to keep spending their own money in so-called non-hockey markets, the status quo will be it. There's no impetus for the Canadian teams to want Bettman out, not while the money is rolling in.

This is true. Nevertheless the CAD had more to do with the small market Canadian teams rebounding than did Gary. One should be fair though and point out that the smaller Cdn teams were a huge driving force for the cap, and in that regard, Gary worked with them.

If people really want Bettman out, especially in Canada, they should want nothing to do with the NHL at all. Nothing will change as long as they watch in droves and buy everything in sight. The more they beg, the more they watch, the better it makes Bettman look. Supply and demand. The demand for the NHL is more than the supply and that makes the commissioner look good.

If only supply and demand was immediately responsive/reflective of consumer happiness. As I said above, I continue to watch the NHL and back my team in spite of Bettman. I do see the local owner as being the driving force that has made the Wings successful regardless of economic system-- or whatever other gimmickry the league adopts. Should I abandon the Wings because I don't like what the majority of the owners tell Bettman they want, and/or follow Bettman's idea of what the problems are and how to solve them?

Reasoned Opinion

May 21, 2009
Logic Land
Considering that the owners like how he's doing, I'm certain that he can negotiate a better contract for himself than that.

Uh, sure. You know best. Mod: deleted.
Thought a comment on the relevance of his compensation being tied to his experiment that still is on life support from other franchises was valid but I guess it wasn't. I won't let it happen again.

Have a good one! :)

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009
Uh, sure. You know best.

Thought a comment on the relevance of his compensation being tied to his experiment that still is on life support from other franchises was valid but I guess it wasn't. I won't let it happen again.

Have a good one! :)

Many of the teams you mentioned are not "his" experiment - in fact, I don't think any of them are. Mod: deleted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad