Garret Sparks Discussion

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Since he's making his debut as our goalie I thought it would be nice to have a discussion about him. It would be nice to hear from those who have followed him closely as a Marlie.

Here's his scouting report from HF.

Sparks is a large player whose frame allows him to be a very good blocking goaltender. He cuts down the angles well and is able to track play through traffic. Sparks steadily showed gained more consistency during his junior career and has shown promise early in his pro career — though he been set back by injuries.

Future

Sparks missed much of the Leafs' training camp due to injury and was subsequently assigned to the ECHL's Orlando Solar Bears to start the 2014-15 season. He played four games with Orlando before suffering a lower-body injury which kept him out for another month. Now healthy, he appeared in two games during a call- up with the AHL's Toronto Marlies and is seeing consistent time with the Solar Bears. While his injuries have set him back, Sparks has the size and skill set that suggest he can be an effective NHL goaltender one day. As with most 21-year-old goalies, figuring out the ceiling of his potential is merely speculation.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
He's been progressing nicely recently, it's no wonder he's getting a chance this year.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
He's been progressing nicely recently, it's no wonder he's getting a chance this year.

He's been great, but let's be honest, the only reason he's playing is because Bernier went full Hardy Astrom.

If you don't know who Astrom is, here's what his old coach Don Cherry said about him:

“Astrom was killing us. Astrom was driving the guys nuts. Players would come up to me, almost in tears, saying that in all the years they played hockey, they had never played on a team with a goalie like him.”

“Instead of improving, (Astrom) was getting worse. By now the opposition was scoring on shots from center ice. I couldn’t take it anymore. One night, between periods of another Hardy Horror Show, I walked into (GM Ray) Miron’s office and got down on my knees begging him to make a trade for a goalie. I felt sorry for the players because they were working their ***** off. They’d come up with a goal and then, bing, bing, Hardy would let two easy ones go by and we would be finished.”

Edit: Can't believe I have to add this... I don't think Bernier is as bad as Astrom, not even close. I was making a joke about how bad he's been this year. Some people take things too seriously.

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
He's been great, but let's be honest, the only reason he's playing is because Bernier went full Hardy Astrom.

If you don't know who Astrom is, here's what his old coach Don Cherry said about him:

“Astrom was killing us. Astrom was driving the guys nuts. Players would come up to me, almost in tears, saying that in all the years they played hockey, they had never played on a team with a goalie like him.â€

“Instead of improving, (Astrom) was getting worse. By now the opposition was scoring on shots from center ice. I couldn’t take it anymore. One night, between periods of another Hardy Horror Show, I walked into (GM Ray) Miron’s office and got down on my knees begging him to make a trade for a goalie. I felt sorry for the players because they were working their ***** off. They’d come up with a goal and then, bing, bing, Hardy would let two easy ones go by and we would be finished.â€

It's true Bernier has been absolutely horrible but given the injury to Reimer I'm sure Sparks would have been given a chance anyways.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
It's true Bernier has been absolutely horrible but given the injury to Reimer I'm sure Sparks would have been given a chance anyways.
It's also very interesting to see what happens if Sparks doesnt succeed well. If he loses and lets in 6 or 5 then Babcock might go straight back to Bernier. Bernier now has another couple of days to get back and bounce back. Get that mental back. Pop that thing. Get that lady on and get that swerve on. If that there doesn't happen, then all might be waiting on Reimer again. Bernier only has a couple of days left to get his thing back together or Reimer will get it back again.

There is a slight chance that Sparks sparks this thing up and wins. Then Babcock will continue with him playing the game after the edmonton one. It's a great life right now. Babcock happy too.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

“Astrom was killing us. Astrom was driving the guys nuts. Players would come up to me, almost in tears, saying that in all the years they played hockey, they had never played on a team with a goalie like him.â€

“Instead of improving, (Astrom) was getting worse. By now the opposition was scoring on shots from center ice. I couldn’t take it anymore. One night, between periods of another Hardy Horror Show, I walked into (GM Ray) Miron’s office and got down on my knees begging him to make a trade for a goalie. I felt sorry for the players because they were working their ***** off. They’d come up with a goal and then, bing, bing, Hardy would let two easy ones go by and we would be finished.â€

Waay too harsh on Bernier IMO.

7.5 million dollar keeper Bobrovski had an .850 save percentage after 10 games to start the year and, if you watched the games, was worse than Bernier so far this year(and thats saying something)...and he turned it around.

Rask was brutal to start the year and is finally getting his save percentage close to .900 now.

I said early in the year when both keepers were having a rough time that both would improve. Reimer has come back quite nicely and I have no doubt Bernier will too. You'll see.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Waay too harsh on Bernier IMO.

7.5 million dollar keeper Bobrovski had an .850 save percentage after 10 games to start the year and, if you watched the games, was worse than Bernier so far this year(and thats saying something)...and he turned it around.

Rask was brutal to start the year and is finally getting his save percentage close to .900 now.

I said early in the year when both keepers were having a rough time that both would improve. Reimer has come back quite nicely and I have no doubt Bernier will too. You'll see.

I like Bernier and still think he is better than Reimer, but he has been god awful this year. And I was being harsh on him because I expect a certain level of play from him.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I really like the Sparks story - his dedication to losing weight and getting fit and getting serious about being a Pro but... his style right now will allow a fair number of back-side goals... he tends to slide outside the post a lot and that is a killer in the NHL... ask Jonas Gustafsson.

Hope I'm wrong and he is our own reincarnation of Tim Thomas/Dominic Hasek.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Trying to find out who Sparks comparisons are as a goalie. Anyone know?

from the marlies broadcasts, blocks the shots well by using angles, has some quickness but not elite agility. i'd say bernier or even bibeau are more acrobatic or make the unbelievable saves. but has potential to at least be a solid backup. closer to bernier stylistically than reimer, i guess.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Come on sparky, just win a few games and post a. 910 or better and we can move on from the Bernier era once and for all.

OvenMittz*

ok this is why i can't take this fanbase serious.

This is WAY to harsh on a goalie like Bernier. Sure he's lost his confidence and isn't playing well right now, but this post is just down right garbage.

probably the worst post i've seen since coming to these boards. Just a disgrace.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
ok this is why i can't take this fanbase serious.

This is WAY to harsh on a goalie like Bernier. Sure he's lost his confidence and isn't playing well right now, but this post is just down right garbage.

probably the worst post i've seen since coming to these boards. Just a disgrace.

:laugh: Dude, it's a joke... look up my post history, I like Bernier...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The people who are convinced that Bernier's "style" made him a good goalie are not going to like Sparks at all.

Sparks is much more like Reimer. He can look ugly out there, but the kid stops pucks.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The people who are convinced that Bernier's "style" made him a good goalie are not going to like Sparks at all.

Sparks is much more like Reimer. He can look ugly out there, but the kid stops pucks.

And you'll notice he doesn't have the goalie of the future tag placed on him for those same reasons...

I don't know whose responsible for signing off on the amateur goaltending scouting for the Leafs but there's a real pattern of them going after big athletic goalies over the years.

Pogge, Rollheiser, Reimer, Scrivens, Gustavsson, Rynnas, Sparks, Bibeau. They're all big reflex guys with some ugly technique who battle. That style of spectacular goaltending certainly is catching someone's eye.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
There is a slight chance that Sparks sparks this thing up and wins. Then Babcock will continue with him playing the game after the edmonton one. It's a great life right now. Babcock happy too.

I can see it already. Sparks wins against Edmonton. Then there are 3 in 4 nights, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday and Sparks plays them all. Babcock happy too. Then Sparks get injured. Ruined goalie #3 early in December.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Bernier has been terrible and I'm not sold on Reimer. Hope Sparks does well. :)

I'm sold personally. On Reimer.

He was really good before and he has clearly gotten better under Babcock and the new assistants.

Now, in what capacity going forward?? I don't know long term. But the next few seasons Reimer should be going nowhere.

I'd move Bernier for a pick I think he's done here.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
from the marlies broadcasts, blocks the shots well by using angles, has some quickness but not elite agility. i'd say bernier or even bibeau are more acrobatic or make the unbelievable saves. but has potential to at least be a solid backup. closer to bernier stylistically than reimer, i guess.

yeah but one thing Bibeau has over Bernier is size so when he has to be acrobatic he's not leaving half the net open. Bernier's issue is that he's small first of all, and second he tends to get lazy and lose focus. He relies way too much on his reflexes and acrobatics rather than positioning and structure in the net. It causes him to overplay shooters or passes and he loses the net pretty easily.

Also part of Bernier's problems right now are mental, he has zero confidence.

With Sparks the first thing you see his is size the guy is massive. 6 ft 3 205 pounds, he covers a lot of the net, plays a solid game, doesn't get too *bouncy* or anxious in the net, he kind of reminds me a bit of Bishop in a way. Not saying he's going to be Bishop but just the sheer size of both guys and positional play of both are very good. If Bernier continues like this closer to the deadline and the team is floundering I wouldn't be surprised to see Sparks called up later on the year to be the back-up to Reimer. Although I'm sure the organization would want Sparks to go on a nice playoff run with the Marlies as well.

Last edited:

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
He should get tested. Hall, RNH, Draisatle (sp sorry), the Oilers definitely have some finish on that team.

They don't need as many chances as some teams to pot goals.

Hope he doesn't get caught too far out of his net.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Very active goaltender in the crease. Tracks pucks very well and has incredible reflexes. Rebound control is OK but he's more of a goaltender that will focus on shot blocking rather then directing or swallowing pucks.

Because he's pretty active and mobile, he can get out of position sometimes. He's also a goaltender that plays a little deeper in his net, for better or worst.

I agree with Zeke that he's pretty similar to Reimer. He's actually bigger then Reimer (slightly) but looks smaller in the net, probably because his equipement is a little smaller/thinner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad