Confirmed with Link: Garnet Hathaway contract extension, 2x$2.4m to start in 2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
In terms of his contract. I guess it isn't terrible I just don't understand why they would do it (and do it now). I mean I do understand why: they suck. But still.
The team should be asking is losing Hathaway after next season something they couldn't recover from. Why is there urgency? Who are his comparable and what are they getting paid? How do successful teams allocate term and cap space to the 4th line? What will Hathaway look like 2 years from now? if we want to keep Hathaway, how do we use the leverage of multi-years or guaranteeing this a year out to get a better deal?

I feel like the Flyers don't ask any of those questions when handing out contracts. They go "we really like Hathawy. We should make sure we lock him up. Let's call now and see what his agent wants."

Reactions: orangey and volnoir

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
i don't have a problem with it... i'm just not sure what the point of it is.
If you don’t know what the point of it is, then you should have a problem with it. Just throwing away 2.4 million dollars of cap that could potentially be used on a much better player next summer or the year after that.

There’s of course a chance they don’t need that space and then it’s a perfectly fine and fair number for what a vet like Hathaway is, but we should be building from the top lines down, not vice versa. You shouldn’t be signing 4th liners when you have no idea who your #1C is. Much better to miss out on Hathaway and have to use a replacement level AHL guy on your 4th line than to miss out on a Dreisaitl type 1C because you signed too many 4th liners to rich deals and don’t have the cap space.

Reactions: orangey

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
good signing, gotta have the "team guys", him, Poehling, Nick D and Seeler staring down the "checkers" on the opposing teams :nono: ..... leave the Flyer skaters ALONE 😠

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: trostol

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
And people thought anything with the flyers changed with briere and Jones. I'd like those people to come in here and apologize to the rest of us for the wasted arguments. Imagine thinking this organization changed one bit by shuffling around the deck chairs.
I was stumping pretty hard for Briere last year. I’m not ready to say I was totally wrong yet; I want to see what (if any) trades he makes this summer, but I’m pretty angry right now. The draft was blech, the EJ signing was pointless and the Hathaway signing by virtue of extending into the next 2 years when we’re supposed to be building up is potentially damaging. Not at all what I wanted to see from DB.

Heck, I’d have rather seen him to out and sign Sean Walker for what the Hurricanes paid for him. At least that’s a good deal with some upside.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I'm still dumbfounded as to why this had to be signed ASAP. Was Briere afraid a perpetual 4th liner was going to have career year at age 33 and it was going to cost to much to resign him if he waited until after the season started?

Someone make it make sense to me.
I'd think it's that with only a $25K increase a couple years down the road, this early-bird extension was a hometown discount that may not have been on the table next year. Also, he's just starting his family, and I think he's happy settling down with them in the area. I'm a strong proponent of high character role-players with some talent... I'm fine with the deal and timing.

This is an okay move at this point of the rebuild as I see it... Patience... Danny's not done... he's just limited.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Time is a flat circle.

You should head into this season with Hathaway on the last year of his deal and trade him at the deadline because you have no hope to actually compete. A move that an actual rebuilding team would do.

And guess what you do next? You offer Hathaway a two year deal with $2.4M once he hits UFA.

If he signs, he signs. If he doesn’t, oh well.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Time is a flat circle.

You should head into this season with Hathaway on the last year of his deal and trade him at the deadline because you have no hope to actually compete. A move that an actual rebuilding team would do.

And guess what you do next? You offer Hathaway a two year deal with $2.4M once he hits UFA.

If he signs, he signs. If he doesn’t, oh well.
This team has a more thought out plan for the future of it's 4th line than is does for it's top line and top pair of dmen.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I'd think it's that with only a $25K increase a couple years down the road, this early-bird extension was a hometown discount that may not have been on the table next year. Also, he's just starting his family, and I think he's happy settling down with them in the area. I'm a strong proponent of high character role-players with some talent... I'm fine with the deal and timing.

This is an okay move at this point of the rebuild as I see it... Patience... Danny's not done... he's just limited.

Nevermind the fact this almost assuredly will not be any kind of discount compared to trying to sign Hathaway sometime during the season, WHY does this team care about getting a "home town discount" on a soon to be 33 year old 4th liner whose new contract doesn't start until a year from now when said team is in year 3 of their 3 year rebuild?

This signing just re-affirms that Briere has absolutely zero patience as a GM.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Nevermind the fact this almost assuredly will not be any kind of discount compared to trying to sign Hathaway sometime during the season, WHY does this team care about getting a "home town discount" on a soon to be 33 year old 4th liner whose new contract doesn't start until a year from now when said team is in year 3 of their 3 year rebuild?

This signing just re-affirms that Briere has absolutely zero patience as a GM.

Don't worry. They'll just trade for Hagens. It's so easy I don't know how you can't see it. They have THREE 1sts, none of which are likely to even be in the top 7 or 8. The amount of GMs waiting to trade 7 years of control on a premium player for the variety plate is massive.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It just makes no sense because once guys start approaching their mid 30’s the league as a whole actually does start showing some restraint in investment of those guys. It’s not like a late 20 year player whose price tag is about to sky rocket.

Granted it’s harder to find guys in their mid 30’s that can still actually be useful but when they’re out there there’s usually value to be had.

On a larger scale but Giroux for example is still playing at a first line caliber level well into his 30’s. But because of his age he realistically signed a 3 year deal at $6.5M per year. Ottawa individually from Giroux this past year probably got on ice value that probably should really cost in an all things equal situation like $8-9M worth.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
We'll ride the spiral to the end
And may just go where no one's been

Spiral out, keep going
Spiral out, keep going
Spiral out, keep going
Spiral out, keep going

Ad

Upcoming events