Games where the refs factored into the outcome of the game the most

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Okay, I am not one of those "blame the refs" type of fans. Not even when my team loses. I just never have been and I tend to be consistent with that. In the NFC championship game last year with the Saints a couple minutes away from going to the Super Bowl I was not mad about the non-call on pass interference, but rather than they weren't running the ball and draining the clock. I do the same in hockey. But what moments do you think the refs had the biggest hand in the outcome? This was inspired by the most recent spring's collapse of Vegas vs. San Jose. So I'll start there.

2019 Vegas vs. San Jose Game 7 - Okay, the obvious thing to say here, Vegas blew a 3-1 series lead and in Game 7 blew a 3-0 lead with half a period to go. No doubt, they blew it. But I was watching that game and Vegas was cruising in Game 7. They did everything right and then that awful call on Pavelski gives them a 5 minute major. I thought there might be trouble but a 3-0 lead is still pretty safe and if you have a good penalty kill you should get away with it. After two goals were scored, I as a fan of neither team, got a lump in my throat. It was one of those "Oh, no, don't let this happen hockey gods!" I mean, for the sake of the NHL I was cheering for Vegas to pull this one out because the ramifications of them losing would be horrible. Then San Jose ties it, then they go ahead and the momentum was just on their side. Vegas does tie it and send it to overtime and have ample chances to win it but Fleury finally lets one in and its over. To Fleury's credit, while he did allow 4 goals on one power play he was absolutely stellar in overtime, robbing the Sharks blind at times. I just hated this game because it isn't how you want it to go as a hockey fan. It was just blatant and it flipped things immediately. I guess if anyone could have nailed things down it may have been Fleury, so you can give him some blame there but that call just should have never been made to a team that was completely out of the game by then.

1980 Cup finals Game 6 - I thought Potvin's goal was good. The stick wasn't high and if video replay existed back then it would count. I don't know why that one gets brought up. But Duane Sutter's goal was completely offside. I honestly don't know how Leon Stickle missed that one, it was right in front of him with a lot of white real estate (ice) in front of him. It made the Flyers hesitate just enough. Now, I still think the Islanders win the Cup and were the better team. Somehow they still just win in my mind but that was a bad call by Stickle who doesn't have any friends in Philly.

Okay, pick ones that you think apply here.

P.S. - No, I didn't pick Gretzky's high stick in 1993 vs. the Leafs. Because the Leafs still had overtime and then even after a loss they had Game 7 at home. Kerry Fraser and the linesmen probably knew they should have made that call, and if you watch the footage of the game you can see Gretzky nervously pacing after Gilmour is talking to the ref, but this was not an elimination game.

Almost....................one of the greatest games in NHL history was Game 5 the deciding game of the best of 5 between the Rangers and Islanders in 1984. The Islanders have a lead in the final minute and have the "drive for 5" on the line. Don Maloney scores the tying goal against Billy Smith on what was a blatant high stick that did not need video review. It was way too high. It was above his head. Yet the goal stood and overtime was end to end before the Islanders won it and made that bad call just a footnote.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The 1999 Stanley Cup Final Game 6 OT missed call on the non-goal.

Their defense was: People rushed out on the ice so quickly there was no time to review the play.

After HEAVILY applying the already controversial foot-in-crease rule throughout the playoffs, the refs that night in overtime failed to maintain the standard. They blew it.

Reactions: frisco and McRpro

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
I'm gonna get real salty here and bring up the 2014 Stanley Cup Finals.

Game 2 Rangers have a 4-2 lead vs LA and Dwight King blatantly interferes with Lundqvist to put La within 1 and they ride the momentum to go up 2-0 in the series. Another one that isnt spoken about is Game 5 of that series in the 3rd period the Rangers are up 2-1 when a questionable tripping call is made on Zuccarello. The Kings then tie it on the ensuing power play and win the cup in ot. If both these calls dont occur the Rangers go back home up 3-2 with a chance to clinch on garden ice against an La team who had gone the distance in all 3 prior series and would now have to again to win. I'd like the Rangers chances to put them away in game 6 alas the refs ruined it.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Flyers-Sabres in game 2 of the of the 2000 ECQF. The Flyers lead the series 1-0. In game 2, Buffalo is leading by a 1-0 score in the second period when John LeClair seemingly scores a goal. However, replays clearly show that LeClair's shot entered through the netting on the side of the goal and the goal should have been disallowed. Ultimately, LeClair's goal stood and the Flyers scored the game winner in the third period to take a 2-0 series lead.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Flyers-Sabres in game 2 of the of the 2000 ECQF. The Flyers lead the series 1-0. In game 2, Buffalo is leading by a 1-0 score in the second period when John LeClair seemingly scores a goal. However, replays clearly show that LeClair's shot entered through the netting on the side of the goal and the goal should have been disallowed. Ultimately, LeClair's goal stood and the Flyers scored the game winner in the third period to take a 2-0 series lead.

Didn't LeClair also score through the side of the net in the '97 or '98 BUF/PHI series? For some reason, I feel like he had two playoff goals against the Sabres that didn't actually go in.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
It was only one goal but Daniel Briere was so blatantly offside when he scored for Philly against Pittsburgh in Game One of the 2012 First Round series it was stunning.

2017 Washington-Pittsburgh Game Three-Tom Wilson who elbowed Brian Dumoulin in the head from behind in Game Two is in the lineup somehow avoiding suspension. In Game Three in the second period, with Pittsburgh up 2-1 and the series tied at 1-1, Wilson launches himself at Aston-Reese knocking him out of the game. No penalty called. So instead of Pittsburgh on the PP, Capitals score a few minutes later to tie.

In the third, with Pittsburgh leading 3-2 Capitals tie the game with Wilson getting an assist when he should have been thrown out (he would receive a 3-game suspension). Then to clinch it, Wilson slew foots Maatta setting up a two on one for Washington that Ovechkin finishes to win the game for the Caps with a minute left.

My Best-Carey

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
My standard answer to this is usually game 7 of the L.A. / Edmonton series in 1989 (i.e., Gretzky vs. the Oilers). Referee was the great vet, Andy van Hellemond.

Don't get me wrong, the Oilers screwed themselves in this series by blowing a 3-1 series lead and having to go to L.A. for game seven. Once that happens, all bets are off 'cause anything can happen. But even so, I've rarely seen such a big game so badly officiated.

Bear in mind, this was a 5 to 3 (plus empty net) Los Angeles victory. Of L.A.'s 5 goals, 4 were on the power-play, 1 of those on a second period 5-on-3, following two debatable 'interference' and 'holding' calls. Bernie Nicholls' second goal, late in period 2, was the 5-on-3 goal. In the dying seconds of it, Gretzky hits him with a nice pass right beside Grant Fuhr... Nicholls basically elbows Fuhr in the head as he makes a nice move around him to the backhand, and tucks the puck in. I can't see this goal counting nowadays, to say the least. That made it 4-3 for the Kings. Then, with five or six minutes left and the Oilers pressing to tie, Dale Degray fires a fairly harmless shot from the point. Kings' Dave Taylor body-checks Grant Fuhr out of the way and the pucks goes in for a 5-3 lead. Van Hellemond counts it. It's fairly telling that Grant Fuhr goes ape***t after this one, which he basically never did. Here's the vid:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad