GDT: Game VIII: Dont get burned by the Flames please

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
It's so stupid for Dubas to possibly try and run around shedding Jarry contract a year after signing it when all he needed to do was consult HFPens that it would be a terrible re-signing immediately, if not very early into the five years

And here we are

Dubas is a gongshow so far...
Last place in the world Id ask for an opinion from

• Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
It's so stupid for Dubas to possibly try and run around shedding Jarry contract a year after signing it when all he needed to do was consult HFPens that it would be a terrible re-signing immediately, if not very early into the five years

And here we are

Dubas is a gongshow so far...
I still think Dubas isn't the one to be mad at for this. He came on board and wanted to see what the was out there, all the options and then said he will also sit down with Sullivan and Chiodo to see where they sit with Jarry.

So if either of them said yeah we need to move on, he would have. Barely a few weeks into his job and he speaks to them and keeps Jarry. I don't think that is even the problem there, he's just a very easy and convenient excuse but also a microcosm of the issues of the system in front of him in addition to some real struggle in his game right now. Jarry is a goalie that can be fixed (oddly has saved at a better gaa and sv% than Ned this year for high danger shots and saves, below Blomqvist) his game has some very little good to it that can be used as an ember to build up that fire with him. But it sure as shit won't be on this team, there's zero structure to do it.

But f*** the Jarry stuff. I think Dubas was too dumb at the time to realize he should have said no to Sullivan for Jarry and Graves. After the season ended, the moves he made were less big swings and very cautious instead. Like someone burned after having trust in someone well respected and told he is the guy to trust.

Dubas has his loyalties that some are good and some not and that is annoying, but the two contracts I'd say are Sully are those two. Acciari is Dubas.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Like somebody said with Puljujarvi you change as little as possible when things are working. Well things have been working and I as his supporter am disappointed how he's still demoted to the 4th line.

I believe thanks to his cheap contract, good start of the season and some strong stretches earlier in his career he should be at least worth a 2nd right now. I don't suggest it, but if Sullivan intends to throw him from line to line or healthy scratch him when he's doing fine it might make more sense to trade him before his confidence takes a hit and he stops producing.

There's been times when Puljujarvi hasn't earned more, but this season is different for the first time I start to see what you guys mean with some of your talks about Sullivan. Anyway, good luck for the game!

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I don’t think shuffling the lines, no matter what combination, will magically teach everyone how to play defense.

You need some kind of position for that. Not a GM where they pick the players, but one that can…I’m struggling for the word. Maybe it’s…coaching? Nah that can’t be it.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I don’t think shuffling the lines, no matter what combination, will magically teach everyone how to play defense.

You need some kind of position for that. Not a GM where they pick the players, but one that can…I’m struggling for the word. Maybe it’s…coaching? Nah that can’t be it.
Sullivan everytime his system gets exploited (like every f***ing game really)...

giphy.gif

Somehow I copied the link to an ad vs the gif, fantastic.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I don't mention my Birthday on here. But it's tomorrow and a nice present would be for the Flames, a young team, absolutely demolish this team and Sullivan's system.

Sorry Ned. We all gotta sacrifice for the greater good mate.
That might happen. Flames have been playing a very strong team game, minus the 1st against Vancouver when they wanted Miller payback and OT in Seattle. When the Flames have stayed out of the box they have been very good at playing a high paced game and rolling all four lines.
I feel like some of us have gotten stuff right enough times, we couldn't do worse than whatever Sullivan conjures up.

I mean for f***s sake mate, not a single one of us would fight for adding Jack Johnson.
JJ was on Sid. He pushed for that signing.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
That might happen. Flames have been playing a very strong team game, minus the 1st against Vancouver when they wanted Miller payback and OT in Seattle. When the Flames have stayed out of the box they have been very good at playing a high paced game and rolling all four lines.
I think their not so good vs Vancouver and Seattle is still more than enough to dunk on a Sullivan coached Team.
JJ was on Sid. He pushed for that signing.
No it was reported Sullivan came up to JR with Gonchar and had outlined a plan for how to utilize Jack Johnson if he were to sign him. That was reported, I've found it before and it's on this board somewhere - but I remember that because it was so ridiculous that anyone would ever do that.

JR traded his ass and JJ hasn't lived up to any of the hype since, why the hell would JR sign him out of nowhere? I think it was something like the last 3 games before he got benched, Sully and Sarge liked his fenwick 5v5 or some shit, so JR figured ok yeah let's do it then.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think their not so good vs Vancouver and Seattle is still more than enough to dunk on a Sullivan coached Team.

No it was reported Sullivan came up to JR with Gonchar and had outlined a plan for how to utilize Jack Johnson if he were to sign him. That was reported, I've found it before and it's on this board somewhere - but I remember that because it was so ridiculous that anyone would ever do that.
1st period against Vancouver and 2nd period against Seattle they took crap ton of penalties and got out of a flow. Flames have looked very solid so far and their goaltending surprisingly been top notch.

Interesting. I thought it was Sid being friends with JJ and wanting him on the team to help a buddy out.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
The funniest thing about JJ was that the Penguins talked about how his deployment and usage in Pittsburgh will be drastically different, which was that he would be far worse than he ever was for anyone else, then he leaves and is used like he was before the Penguins and is a serviceable 3rd pairing D-man again, lol.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sullivan everytime his system gets exploited (like every f***ing game really)...

giphy.gif

Somehow I copied the link to an ad vs the gif, fantastic.
Wouldn't it be interesting Sullivan was actually trying to get fired because he's flat out professionally exhausted? But no matter what he does or doesn't do, he can't.

Maybe he's in a George Costanza predicament where USA Hockey wants to hire him to be head of it all, but he has to get fired first, so he's just hell-bent on phoning it in.

v2x17a280a6a1.jpg

He's wearing around Mario's jersey, he stole the Jagr bobbleheads, he keeps touching Crosby's stick before a game, spikes Jarry's waterbottle with muscle sedatives...

He kicks the Stanley f***ing Cup into the Allegheny River and the FSG execs show up and are like "Lol, Sully, you crazy Bastonian bastad! That's just what we need - out with the old, in with the new! You're gonna be here a long time!"

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
A part of me also feels like the campaign they've run for Sullivan is making it harder for them to do what they should do. All they've done is blow his ego up every f***ing night - American coach that has won this, Penguins all time this, etc, running quotes that are brilliant in their tiny brains and how he has done this to healthy scratch to send a message that the players respect or some dumb shit.

When you've put a bloke on a pedestal and already erected his statue in their minds, it's hard for them to maybe realize or admit now that the only solution is the one that has worked before - Firing the coach. Also I don't get why anyone would feel that's a "coach killer" narrative, that's bullshit. Did anyone say that for Connor McScaredofKetchup?

In 8 Seasons he's had - McLellan, Hitchcock, Tippett, Woodcroft, and Knobber.

Crosby in 20 seasons - Edzo (.5), Therrien (3 seasons), Bylsma (5.5 seasons), Johnston (1.5), Sullivan (9.5 seasons)...
Wouldn't it be interesting Sullivan was actually trying to get fired because he's flat out professionally exhausted? But no matter what he does or doesn't do, he can't.

Maybe he's in a George Costanza predicament where USA Hockey wants to hire him to be head of it all, but he has to get fired first, so he's just hell-bent on phoning it in.

v2x17a280a6a1.jpg

He's wearing around Mario's jersey, he stole the Jagr bobbleheads, he keeps touching Crosby's stick before a game, spikes Jarry's waterbottle with muscle sedatives...
I mean, that would be something, lol. At this point I think the character of George Costanza would do a better job. At least he'd flip out, then get fird and on the way out eat half of Crosby's discarded Sandwich out of the trash can or something.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I mean, that would be something, lol. At this point I think the character of George Costanza would do a better job. At least he'd flip out, then get fird and on the way out eat half of Crosby's discarded Sandwich out of the trash can or something.
Or maybe he throws away Sid's thanksgiving leftover sandwich! No doubt if Sid takes the "Which Friend's Character Are You?" Quiz that he gets Ross Geller.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I have a robo Pens jersey :D.

Go Pens go!!
I have that 3rd jersey as well, I know blokes hate that Robo Penguin but honestly that is the only instance where that logo to me wasn't lame. When I first saw the gradient and the idea of it, I wasn't a fan until I saw it live at the game and it grew on me. I kind of wish the Penguins would just bring some of those back as rotating thirds, I mean for one they'd make a lot of money off it and it'll give us something fun to look at to ignore whatever Sullivan thinks he's doing.

Or maybe he throws away Sid's thanksgiving leftover sandwich! No doubt if Sid takes the "Which Friend's Character Are You?" Quiz that he gets Ross Geller.
Or he walks in on Sid and tells everyone about it and Crosby is pissed because the water was cold.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
In any case, I don't get what he thinks is going to happen with the most minimal of changes to the line-up, even then he's making a lot of wrong choices repeatedly and somehow thinks it'll just work eventually?

Pospisil is a fun player, curious to see who he decides to target on the Penguins but either way it won't be a fun time for that player.

I know the Jets fans absolutely love him, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad