Post-Game Talk: Game VII: Shot down by the jets

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
If the Pens had Michkov, L.Hughes and maybe Peterka, I could understand trying to still compete. As it stands, terrible roster with no good prospects and a coach that's way past his expiration date. The only reason they haven't blown it up is because the stands would be empty.

Reactions: Andy99 and Victor Z

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That mgement team change has done wonders!

Yeah Dubas created a worse team than Hextall.

We also gave away a premium 1st and potentially Yager for McG if we are going to continue to let Sully pretend he knows how to develop youth.

If the Pens had Michkov, L.Hughes and maybe Peterka, I could understand trying to still compete. As it stands, terrible roster with no good prospects and a coach that's way past his expiration date. The only reason they haven't blown it up is because the stands would be empty.

Stands are empty. We are bottom five in the league in terms of home attendance.

Reactions: BillyOcean

the penitent

Feb 20, 2023
It's still early, but this team will be lucky to come off of this trip at 4-6. And once they're behind the 8-ball, they're going to stay there all year. The team as configured is not a playoff team, and with their defensemen and their defensive "system", it's more like a a lottery team. Highly likely they'll be selling off a number of pieces before year's end. If only they could do that with Letang...

Reactions: Andy99 and Duffy13

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Listen, you guys have 3 cups in the cap era, the envy of most fans. But all things come to an end. The pens havnt won a playoff round in what’s going on 7 yrs. You have entered the Chicago and LA darkness of times era and that’s ok. It will be several years or more before you see another playoff series win and that’s just the evolution of an nhl team in a cap world.

Atleast you’ve had success where as the leafs have paid their stars without the success. The common denominator is dubas

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It doesn't matter who they have in net is the point.

You and others keep doing this thing where you keep mentioning Jarry like he's tanked this team. He sucks ass, but the reason this team sucks ass isn't because of him only. I don't care to see Jarry play for this team ever again.

Blomqvist is fantastic and they still lost against the Canes.

Ned has been better than Jarry since last season and he couldn't hold it down vs the Jets with this team defense in front of him.

Who gives a flying f*** about Jarry? Stop using him as the excuse. He's crap but this team is crap in front of better goalies too.
You may or may not be right but I'm pretty sure Management and Coaches are still trying to make the playoffs. And I think we all agree that they're not gonna get there with poor goaltending. That's why I asked if they'd consider keeping Blomqvist around.

the penitent

Feb 20, 2023
Listen, you guys have 3 cups in the cap era, the envy of most fans. But all things come to an end. The pens havnt won a playoff round in what’s going on 7 yrs. You have entered the Chicago and LA darkness of times era and that’s ok. It will be several years or more before you see another playoff series win and that’s just the evolution of an nhl team in a cap world.

Atleast you’ve had success where as the leafs have paid their stars without the success. The common denominator is dubas
Valid points all - like most repeat champions in any sport, sticking with the core stars for too long spells long-term doom. The problem is that, with Dubas, it's going to be a long time before this team is a contender again. He took a time that was on its last breaths of success due to Hextall, pulled out the respirator cord and strangled the franchise

Reactions: Gurglesons

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
It's the same thing every game for years... The system hasn't changed.... Bottom 6 players are not coming into some revolutionary system of bottom 6 players being relied on to be more defensive oriented.

To say we need to play smarter, or this player needs time to adjust, or whatever the analogy of the moment is, is just fluff. The 2nd oldest team.in the league does not need time to adjust to play a role they've played for years.

It's deployment, it's finding line chemistry, it's reactionary movements in game according to how players are playing. The system is getting the forwards and the defense aligned on breakouts, on pinch coverage, on specialty teams. That's the systems, and that is entirely on the coaching staff.

Beau on line 1? What the ever loving f*** is that. Just stupidity. And then dropping him to line 3 and keeping Bunting out.... Jesus they are overthinking everything. They're playing 3D chess while everyone else is playing Hockey.

Doesn't matter how bad Jarry plays, the worse he plays just masks the other red flags. Which are clearly visible when Bloom or Ned play adequate.

Thanks Genius

Reactions: spcastlemagic

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Valid points all - like most repeat champions in any sport, sticking with the core stars for too long spells long-term doom. The problem is that, with Dubas, it's going to be a long time before this team is a contender again. He took a time that was on its last breaths of success due to Hextall, pulled out the respirator cord and strangled the franchise
Haha yeah. I follow the leafs the most and it blew my mind imho how inept dubas was at building a team in the cap world. But it goes to show you it’s how you network that gets you places in the nhl. Anyway you have a few years left with Sid, lower expectations and enjoy watching his last years. Before you know it he will be retired :(

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The common denominator is Sullivan.

This is something that fans outside don't seem to get. I get it, you're a Leaf fan who hates Dubas. But this team has been a shit show before Dubas even arrived because they absolutely refuse to fire a shitty coach who has no idea how to adjust to what the league does.

Dubas may or may not be a good GM. But the issue, BAR NONE, is the f***ing moron behind the bench. Though I suppose that's one area you CAN criticize Dubas for, for not firing the idiot.

Reactions: Andy99

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
It's the same thing every game for years... The system hasn't changed.... Bottom 6 players are not coming into some revolutionary system of bottom 6 players being relied on to be more defensive oriented.

To say we need to play smarter, or this player needs time to adjust, or whatever the analogy of the moment is, is just fluff. The 2nd oldest team.in the league does not need time to adjust to play a role they've played for years.

It's deployment, it's finding line chemistry, it's reactionary movements in game according to how players are playing. The system is getting the forwards and the defense aligned on breakouts, on pinch coverage, on specialty teams. That's the systems, and that is entirely on the coaching staff.

Beau on line 1? What the ever loving f*** is that. Just stupidity. And then dropping him to line 3 and keeping Bunting out.... Jesus they are overthinking everything. They're playing 3D chess while everyone else is playing Hockey.

Doesn't matter how bad Jarry plays, the worse he plays just masks the other red flags. Which are clearly visible when Bloom or Ned play adequate.

Thanks Genius
Your welcome
The common denominator is Sullivan.

This is something that fans outside don't seem to get. I get it, you're a Leaf fan who hates Dubas. But this team has been a shit show before Dubas even arrived because they absolutely refuse to fire a shitty coach who has no idea how to adjust to what the league does.

Dubas may or may not be a good GM. But the issue, BAR NONE, is the f***ing moron behind the bench. Though I suppose that's one area you CAN criticize Dubas for, for not firing the idiot.
i agree. But ownership might have prevented that from happening is just a guess

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s

But the most important thing - do you come in peace?

---

I don't know how you pens fans can stay sane with Sully behind the bench. There has been seemingly so many last straws with this guy..

Reactions: Andy99

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
He's just not good. Mike Sullivan sucks but the few bottom sixers we have that are of any quality still manage to produce despite his poor usage of the entire lineup.

People are so desperate for younger players to get into the lineup that any younger player that gets into the lineup will do whether said young player is bad or not. Like people stanning for Hallander when dude f***ed off to Sweden instead of trying to crack another NHL lineup.

Our system is largely bereft of talent. Puustinen wouldn't even get a sniff on most competent NHL rosters.

I guess. I appreciate your level headed optimistic takes as we all try to navigate the burning tire that are 2024 Pens PGTs lol.
While you are probably right about our youth not being of great quality; the one thing they would bring with the right coach would be unbridled enthusiasms. Sully though, he hammers each young player into a stifling, you better not make ONE MISTAKE or you never see the ice again system. All the while crusty vets will go months floating, doing nothing. Sully is poison, until he's gone, NOTHING will improve.........NOTHING

the penitent

Feb 20, 2023
I gotta ask this question - what exactly are the Pens offensive and defensive systems? Offensively, they are largely incapable of entering the zone, because they're mostly bad stickhandlers and passers. But their chip and chase doesn't work because they aren't fast enough to get to pucks and get pushed around behind the net. Defensively, they get walked around when they challenge zone entries, and when they pack it in they allow clean shots from the slots with clearing of bodies on the rebounds.
So, I ask again - what is the philosophy of their systems?

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I like how everyone qualifies any game where a Pens goalie that is playing well with "if Jarry was in net" like we all don't agree he sucks and should never play for this team moving forward, even a blind and deaf bloke thinks he shouldn't be playing let alone be the back up in a game.

You may or may not be right but I'm pretty sure Management and Coaches are still trying to make the playoffs. And I think we all agree that they're not gonna get there with poor goaltending. That's why I asked if they'd consider keeping Blomqvist around.
The last part is a no brainer to even ask.

The other shit -If Management thinks this coach is going to lead them into the playoffs, they're more clueless than Jarry's play in net.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Coach Sullivan: "From an effort standpoint, I thought our team played really hard. I think we've got to play a little smarter. And that's on all of us to try to cure some of those areas."

That´s actually a good quote. Other than the word "little".

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
Question: Where are the attendance figures for this year so far?? 🤔🤔🤔

Am just curious to see where says we are in the bottom 5 attendance wise
Not that I am one to agree with Pixies but I am assuming he is going off of this:

Technically, we are 6th worse. But the Jets and Utah do not have near the capacity we do, so they don't really count.

The important figure, based on 3 home games, that attendance is down an average of 1000 people so far compared to last year. So not quite "empty" but lower. Also, small sample size and all that, they haven't played any rival or marquee teams yet, so that will factor slightly.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Not that I am one to agree with Pixies but I am assuming he is going off of this:

Technically, we are 6th worse. But the Jets and Utah do not have near the capacity we do, so they don't really count.

The important figure, based on 3 home games, that attendance is down an average of 1000 people so far compared to last year. So not quite "empty" but lower. Also, small sample size and all that, they haven't played any rival or marquee teams yet, so that will factor slightly.
Also 6th in capacity- 92.×%
Just flip your phone sideways to see all the columns at once. You can sort each column by clicking at the top of desired column.

Ad

Ad

Ad