Post-Game Talk: Game V: Pens win vs Habs

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
For the last 2 seasons, we started at like .500 and everyone is like "why are people panicking?" and then... we miss the playoffs by a point. :laugh: It's not rocket science to see why some people are a little cynical about our chances.

That said, I love watching Geno so it's great to tune in and catch a good game from him. Wish I could say the same about Sid recently, but it's probably too much to ask for both stars to be playing well at the same time.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
For the last 2 seasons, we started at like .500 and everyone is like "why are people panicking?" and then... we miss the playoffs by a point. :laugh: It's not rocket science to see why some people are a little cynical about our chances.

That said, I love watching Geno so it's great to tune in and catch a good game from him. Wish I could say the same about Sid recently, but it's probably too much to ask for both stars to be playing well at the same time.

It's weird that everyone has been pounding the table about adjusting expectations and then we do and it's like "YA'LL A BUNCHA WHINERS!" lol

Perhaps it's time to move him to the second powerplay unit?

He's been making bad choices with the puck lately, too. So clearly he can't be trusted to be out there for EN situations anymore, either.

(I hope people can tell I'm being very sarcastic)

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

2-2 is pretty good considering the teams we've played so far. I wouldn't expect this team to beat the Rangers or Leafs all that often.

Feels like this two game home stand is pretty important though. That 4 game Canadian swing after that is always brutal for this team.

Reactions: Sideline

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I'm worried how many points Jarry will cost us this season.
we won this despite him. He is simply not seeing the puck well, like at all.
when you go down on a pass that you are not obstructed on to leave a wide open net (first goal) or you react late and get beat by a shot from almost top of the circle (3rd goal), or on the second goal it was a shot pass, i don't have a huge problem that it beat him but I have a huge problem with how he reacted, once again it was a shot-pass so puck is going wide of the net, he drops down in a butterfly inline with the passer once again, and it sure looks like he has sight lines to the shooter.

So he's not reading the play very well at times and just simply not picking the puck up. or in other words
these grounds keepers have the right opinion of jarry...
1729021796216.png

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are still in the who does what stage on bottom 6. But this game they looked closer to what they are. But I like the mix here and nice size and some jam. Sully will fight this to a degree but Dubas abd Spezza want more balance and grit. sully will be hard to fire after this year unless Pens miss the playoffs and FSG says 3 years is just to much.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I recall this exact sid and geno pattern at the start of last season

And it ended totally 180'd between them
I’ve said this before but I honestly think they switch off deliberately. Sid: “Geno, I’m going to dog it the first couple months. You take over and then coast for a few months and then we’ll gear it back up in March. You good?”

Last edited:
Reactions: BusinessGoose

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I get where you're coming from but we're also 4 games in and 2-2. If we were 20 games in a 5-15, it'd be one thing. But Sullivan clearly has his design and it's not the worst precedence. If it were me, I'd run:

Beau-Sid-Raks
Bunting-Geno-Rust
DOC-Eller-Puljujarvi
Hayes-Glass-Acciari

I could have just said - switch Rakell and Rust. It goes back to what we saw last year when Rust struggled. Any line that had Rust sucked, whichever line had Rakell did well. At the moment, we have who we have. Puustinen isn't coming in for Rust or Rakell or Beauvillier for that matter. He's just not. We have who we have so we may as well get comfortable seeing what we see for the next five or so games.

The biggest problem on L1 rn isn’t rusty Rusty or boring Beau. It’s Sid lol. When he decides to get it in gear, then the line can be assessed lol,

Last edited:
Reactions: spcastlemagic

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The biggest problem on L1 rn isn’t rusty Rusty or boring Beau. It’s Sid lol. When he decides tigger it in gear, then the line can be assessed lol,
That is an incredibly fair statement. He hasn't looked very engaged thus far. Three more years of this bum, lol

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'd be playing without the usual kick in my step too if I went from Jake Guentzel to Beauvillier and brainfog Rust.

Man we're lucky dude is mega superstitious, hates change and has this obsession with being a one-team guy lol

Well... I feel that way at least. Some of ya'll don't.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I'd be playing without the usual kick in my step too if I went from Jake Guentzel to Beauvillier and brainfog Rust.

Man we're lucky dude is mega superstitious, hates change and has this obsession with being a one-team guy lol

Well... I feel that way at least. Some of ya'll don't.

Crosby, Dubas and Sullivan were hyping up DOC to be a 30 goal scorer. Instead he loses his spot to a bottom 6 player and hasn't done much of anything. I would assume changes are coming because Beau is only a temporary solution there.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Crosby, Dubas and Sullivan were hyping up DOC to be a 30 goal scorer. Instead he loses his spot to a bottom 6 player and hasn't done much of anything. I would assume changes are coming because Beau is only a temporary solution there.

I would sure hope so because that first line isn't working and it's not all on Crosby that's for sure.

But I mean... aside from pissing on L2 and breaking it up to send help what other real options are there? I guess I'd try any and all of DOC, Puus and maybe even Hayes and/or Pulju out? None of those options super appealing though and I don't see this team making a move to help unless it's more bargain bin garbage.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I think the difference is Sullivan doesn't have much control over how shitty Jarry plays or how much Pettersson struggles or how meh Gryz is. But he can control a line combination that's clearly not working.

Outside of a game versus a shitty Detroit team, Beauvillier has 0 goals in 3 games. Rust is also looking off. And that's our "top" line facing the other team's top defenders. You're not going very far if your top line sucks other than 1 game versus a bad team. And that's within the coach's control to fix.
i thought the same thing with team defense. but sully has proven me wrong yet again.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I'm worried how many points Jarry will cost us this season.
we won this despite him. He is simply not seeing the puck well, like at all.
when you go down on a pass that you are not obstructed on to leave a wide open net (first goal) or you react late and get beat by a shot from almost top of the circle (3rd goal), or on the second goal it was a shot pass, i don't have a huge problem that it beat him but I have a huge problem with how he reacted, once again it was a shot-pass so puck is going wide of the net, he drops down in a butterfly inline with the passer once again, and it sure looks like he has sight lines to the shooter.

So he's not reading the play very well at times and just simply not picking the puck up. or in other words
these grounds keepers have the right opinion of jarry...
View attachment 917008
Huh?

1729040811701.png

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad