Post-Game Talk: Game V: Pens win vs Habs

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It is in fact, truly unexpected and amazing how an aging playdriver can be more effective when you give him linemates that aren't a parking meter and three small cats in a trenchcoat.

It's funny how the board en masse has zero faith in this head coach to not immediately move away from what is working because it happens to be working for our affable Russian dork but I'm not sure why anyone would not assume that is what is going to happen. The most likely move is 67 up to L1 and some random detritus moved to his spot on L2.

The way Rakell and Malkin have been working kind of reminds me of the way Sid and Jake always worked. 71, when he is as fluid and puck-hungry as he has been, still draws attention and eyeballs which gives 67 freedom to get himself into those deceptive high-percentage shooting spots and Geno just finds him. It helps that Rak's release is looking as good as it ever has on this team.

I'm gonna try to be optimistic and hope they stick with that combination. It seems like the team has been trying to make that a thing off and on for years so maybe they'll be more likely to keep them together? Either way... yeah... that Raks goal was so quick I wasn't even sure exactly what happened until the replay. If dude is gonna be shooting the puck like that all year that line could really blow up. Someone mentioned it the other night but on top of the Sid/Jake combo you brought up... it reminds me of a similar synergy Malkin and Neal had. Except Raks isn't a douchebag.

Then again... Malkin/Smith started off last year on absolute fire and we know how that went. Guess we'll just have to see.

Also has anyone noticed that Malkin seems to only talk to the media after LOSSES, now? Kinda like that approach if it's intentional haha

Last edited:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
You’ll be hard pressed to to find someone that loves Geno more than I do, also a guy who wanted Sully gone after the Montreal series, and ever since, but to imply that he somehow is taking shots at Geno is laughable. I have listened every single press conference with Sully in the last 5 years and never has he wasted opportunity to praise Geno as as he put it recently one of the best players ever and so on. It was his incompetence in setting up the lineups and forcing garbage wingers on his flank and all other incompetence that comes with his arrogant attitude and coaching approach that has to be criticized not apparent dislike of Geno. And let’s wait a few more games before we proclaim Sid washed up

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
Sacramento, CA
I dunno if sub 900 should ever get a plus for a goalie

But he's playing behind our team defense

... I dunno... Jarry did the bare minimum of what a goalie should do, let in less than your team scored, that might deserve a plus in someone's view

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You’ll be hard pressed to to find someone that loves Geno more than I do, also a guy who wanted Sully gone after the Montreal series, and ever since, but to imply that he somehow is taking shots at Geno is laughable. I have listened every single press conference with Sully in the last 5 years and never has he wasted opportunity to praise Geno as as he put it recently one of the best players ever and so on. It was his incompetence in setting up the lineups and forcing garbage wingers on his flank and all other incompetence that comes with his arrogant attitude and coaching approach that has to be criticized not apparent dislike of Geno. And let’s wait a few more games before we proclaim Sid washed up

First off I'm not REALLY worried about Sid. I stopped doing that years ago.

Second I mean... fair enough. I could be tilting at windmills. But it seems to me that Sullivan's approach and willingness to call out Malkin is different from the way in which he'll handle say... Rust or Letang.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also another interesting factoid a friend of mine sent me this AM... that was only Malkin's second EN goal in going on four seasons. He has 25 his entire career... 14 of which came in the first six seasons. Jake has 23, Rust has 18, Crosby has 35, Ovechkin has 57 (!!!) and Mario had 33 (also kinda crazy in some ways).

I dunno where I'm going with any of that, really. Just wanted to confirm that Malkin being given a shot at the EN was indeed as rare as ya'll thought.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Also another interesting factoid a friend of mine sent me this AM... that was only Malkin's second EN goal in going on four seasons. He has 25 his entire career... 14 of which came in the first six seasons. Jake has 23, Rust has 18, Crosby has 35, Ovechkin has 57 (!!!) and Mario had 33 (also kinda crazy in some ways).

I dunno where I'm going with any of that, really. Just wanted to confirm that Malkin being given a shot at the EN was indeed as rare as ya'll thought.
I have a feeling it has something to do with perceived notion of Malkin can't close games as weak defensively though another part may be faceoffs.

A lot of D zone face offs happen during these situations and Malkin is not known to be good at them.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's been a while since I've seen a PGT invent so many phantom problems for a team that just won 6-3.

...taking out Beauvillier...to put in Puustinen. Take out a guy with 2 goals, 12 SOG, and good av stats and replace him with a guy who couldn't beat out any member of the bottom 6 for a roster spot.

Jarry is trash, Pettersson is struggling, Gryz is meh at best, and the overall defensive scheme is wishy washy. But no, it's RUST and BEAUVILLIER that are CLEARLY...CLEARLY...the issue.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I have a feeling it has something to do with perceived notion of Malkin can't close games as weak defensively though another part may be faceoffs.

A lot of D zone face offs happen during these situations and Malkin is not known to be good at them.

I mean... Malkin doesn't HAVE to take those draws but could still be out there. I would do it a lot of nights simply because Malkin picks off a ton of pucks and one would think that would be a pretty nice feature to have with the opposition's net wide open.

Faceoffs are so overrated, anyway. It's what comes immediately after that's far more important. And in the Penguins case it's too often some telegraphed set play that just gets picked. The team was at the top of the league last year in FO% and it got them nothing.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

It's funny though, Malkin's average might not be good, but when the chips are down he will win a FO.
Dudes like this LOVE to be challenged. Tell Geno he can't do something and he's going to show you up.

I would have no hesitancy putting Malkin out there as the other C in the last minute.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I can't wait until Sully takes Geno's wingers and puts them on Sid's line.
I would prefer we wait 5-6 games to see if Sid's line can sort themselves out before making any moves. I mean part of the problem is Sid is making bad passes, and they seem out of sync on their cycle, but that could just be a learning curve thing.

However.....IF and I say IF they don't sort it out by game 10....
I wouldn't mind seeing Bunting with Crosby IF Raks/Malkin keep it going, AND Bunting can't find his groove.

Right now Beau is trying to be the Guentzel on the Crosby line, and he's not, so they need to adapt as a line. He seems okay at grinding, which Rust also does.

Hence, putting Bunting/Crosby/Rust let's Bunting do his net front thing and finish. Rust can do chasing pucks, and Crosby can do his setting up.

Beau can chase down pucks on Malkin's line, and let Raks finish.

BTW I would prefer moving Beau down the 3rd line and have Pulj with Malkin, but that would totally neuter our 3rd line.

But I'm not Sully....and "everybody wants a Sully"...so what do I know :D.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's funny though, Malkin's average might not be good, but when the chips are down he will win a FO.
Dudes like this LOVE to be challenged. Tell Geno he can't do something and he's going to show you up.

I would have no hesitancy putting Malkin out there as the other C in the last minute.

Malkin thrives on not just being challenged but then GIVEN the challenge to actually tackle. It's one thing to call him out and fire him up (I actually think in some ways this is Sullivan's approach with Malkin for a reason) but then you actually have to... you know... put him out there to do it.

Malkin has always brought an extra level when he gets tapped to go out and defend a lead or win a key faceoff or something that he's usually perceived as "not good at." He gets fired up for that kinda thing. Look at when they were briefly experimenting with him taking draws on the powerplay... he was cleaning up (why did they stop that, again?) Do we really think he DOESN'T realize that he is stapled to the bench 90% of the time when there is an EN or a crucial FO in their own zone and it doesn't dig at him? One would think the team would know all that well by now but whatever.

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I would prefer we wait 5-6 games to see if Sid's line can sort themselves out before making any moves. I mean part of the problem is Sid is making bad passes, and they seem out of sync on their cycle, but that could just be a learning curve thing.

However.....IF and I say IF they don't sort it out by game 10....
I wouldn't mind seeing Bunting with Crosby IF Raks/Malkin keep it going, AND Bunting can't find his groove.

Right now Beau is trying to be the Guentzel on the Crosby line, and he's not, so they need to adapt as a line. He seems okay at grinding, which Rust also does.

Hence, putting Bunting/Crosby/Rust let's Bunting do his net front thing and finish. Rust can do chasing pucks, and Crosby can do his setting up.

Beau can chase down pucks on Malkin's line, and let Raks finish.

BTW I would prefer moving Beau down the 3rd line and have Pulj with Malkin, but that would totally neuter our 3rd line.

But I'm not Sully....and "everybody wants a Sully"...so what do I know :D.

One of my favorite sayings I heard from a coach:

Q: "How do you keep a hard-on, hard?"
A: "Don't f*** with it"

So I'm loathe to tinker with L2 right now for any reason outside of injury. Ride them until they stop producing, then play with line combos again.

It's shortsighted to be married to any combo that doesn't give you the desired results. But Sully is gonna Sully

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

You're right in that it's probably something we overstate a bit because I think mostly we all love Geno and we all, perhaps maybe, do NOT love Sully as much as all that. So it could be persepective. However I don't think it's a bridge too far to say regardless of how the coach talks about Geno the actions speak louder and there have been questionable actions.

I wonder what Season Ticket Holder's opinion is? What happened to that guy? He was fun and predictable.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's been a while since I've seen a PGT invent so many phantom problems for a team that just won 6-3.

...taking out Beauvillier...to put in Puustinen. Take out a guy with 2 goals, 12 SOG, and good av stats and replace him with a guy who couldn't beat out any member of the bottom 6 for a roster spot.

Jarry is trash, Pettersson is struggling, Gryz is meh at best, and the overall defensive scheme is wishy washy. But no, it's RUST and BEAUVILLIER that are CLEARLY...CLEARLY...the issue.
I think the difference is Sullivan doesn't have much control over how shitty Jarry plays or how much Pettersson struggles or how meh Gryz is. But he can control a line combination that's clearly not working.

Outside of a game versus a shitty Detroit team, Beauvillier has 0 goals in 3 games. Rust is also looking off. And that's our "top" line facing the other team's top defenders. You're not going very far if your top line sucks other than 1 game versus a bad team. And that's within the coach's control to fix.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
One of my favorite sayings I heard from a coach:

Q: "How do you keep a hard-on, hard?"
A: "Don't f*** with it"

So I'm loathe to tinker with L2 right now for any reason outside of injury. Ride them until they stop producing, then play with line combos again.

It's shortsighted to be married to any combo that doesn't give you the desired results. But Sully is gonna Sully
Well to be fair, you have to keep it excited...lol :).

I don't think making sure the Crosby line is priority #1 isn't only Sully.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Kosovo vs Cyprus
    Kosovo vs Cyprus
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $725.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lithuania vs Romania
    Lithuania vs Romania
    Wagers: 3