Post-Game Talk: Game V Pens win: Geno is so score

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The move should be to trade Jarry for an anchor contract. Jarry is actively hurting the team. At least an overpaid dman or forward can still contribute and improve the team.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Also how ya'll liking that Quinn defense?

EK is looking real "unlocked" that's for sure.
This is exactly what I expected from Quinn. Improved PP and far worse defending, which would outweigh the PPs improvement.

The offense has covered for him, but how long can they keep this up?

In fairness, EK has been bad at defense for most of his career, and Reirden got arguably the most diligent defensive season of his career out of him.
I was under no illusion that we were gonna get an encore that way.

At least he's scoring nicely and is making the games more fun.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not a huge fan of the Quinn defense but the Quinn powerplay is looking good at least.

Take your victories where you can get em I guess?
This is exactly what I expected from Quinn. Improved PP and far worse defending, which would outweigh the PPs improvement.

The offense has covered for him, but how long can they keep this up?

In fairness, EK has been bad at defense for most of his career, and Reirden got arguably the most diligent defensive season of his career out of him.
I was under no illusion that we were gonna get an encore that way.

At least he's scoring nicely and is making the games more fun.

Agreed with both.

Powerplay definitely better despite my cynicism. And some of it is absolutely in the scheme... to give Quinn credit.

Also agree that while EK is leaky... he's always been kinda leaky. And at least this version of him is fun.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
So what's your problem with it?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
obtuse - it was Sully singlehandedly destroying the trade. You cannot allow your HC to have the most power, especially over your GM.
Yeah, I think it's way too simplistic to just boil it down to Rutherford ruined the club by adding Reaves. It's the fact that move showed that the GM and coach aren't on the same page and the coach refused to utilize properly players who didn't "fit" what he wants.

Citing the addition of a 12th/13th forward as the beginning of the end seems to ignore all the issues this coach has brought upon this club with regards forwards 1 to 11 and defensemen 1 to 6.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Reaves trade was baffling but not nearly as destructive as the JJ fiasco if we are simply keeping it to transactions made.

I think JR's big sin that was not trade or FA related was slowly paring down the FO for years until he was basically the king of his own lonely little empire. Just a moronic echo chamber. Until it took ownership stepping in and telling him whatever it was they told him that made him rage-quit. We never really did find out what that was. Lovely journalists we have in this town.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I mean... some people are going to be loathe to admit it now since last season was kind of a dumpster fire but the big commentary around the team once Dubas was hired is how Mike Sullivan would FINALLY have a GM to be on the same page with and that he was going to basically get his wish list granted.

Whoops.
Wait, the commentary around Dubas was that HE was the GM to make this more Sullivan's team? Lol, JR was making it more Sullivan's team before he left, so was Hextall and now Dubas.

The only issue is, Mike Sullivan's idea of a competitive team is ass.

ryan reaves truly marked the end of sid competing for cups
Yeah but have you considered how wrong you are?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Wait, the commentary around Dubas was that HE was the GM to make this more Sullivan's team? Lol, JR was making it more Sullivan's team before he left, so was Hextall and now Dubas.

People insisted for years that Sullivan was the victim of his GMs not being on the same page as him.

I have debated people as recently as just several seasons ago that insisted that Mike Sullivan simply silently sits by and takes what he gets with little to no input. Madness.

• Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, I think it's way too simplistic to just boil it down to Rutherford ruined the club by adding Reaves. It's the fact that move showed that the GM and coach aren't on the same page and the coach refused to utilize properly players who didn't "fit" what he wants.

Citing the addition of a 12th/13th forward as the beginning of the end seems to ignore all the issues this coach has brought upon this club with regards forwards 1 to 11 and defensemen 1 to 6.
The funniest part in all of this was that JR listened to his franchise star and got him a player that really, wasn't an issue to use at all on the 4th line in sparing minutes, Reaves wasn't a player accustomed to 15+ a night. He was a player that averaged around 8-9mins a night and then he comes to the Penguins and Sullivan quite literally throws a tantrum at the mere thought of using a player his star players wanted as protection and to feel safe with how players were taking runs at them.

Reaves was down to around 6mins per game on the Penguins, Sullivan tanked that trade single handedly because he wanted to prove some point and that point was likely something like - this is my team, f*** off with adding anyone that even Crosby wants. It was comical, Reaves hadn't played that little since his first two years in the NHL, trying to crack the Blues roster.

Imagine being that pissy as a coach about a 12/13th forward and forcing that trade. Rutherford also traded Hagelin because of how Sullivan was misusing the line-up and forcing things, only thing is JR realized his mistake too late and couldn't trade for Hagelin back because he didn't understand the rules with retention.

But the vast majority of the issues that plague the Penguins today are Sullivan's own doing and it's been pretty hilarious to see GM's get raked over the coals for it while his smug bostonian ass gets praise heaped upon him like some mistreated saint.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Sullivan's ideal team:
-Sid between the smallest wingers possible who can skate fast but suck defensively and have hands of stone
-Geno between slow wingers who have hands of stone
-Lines 3 and 4 play like clones of ZAR.

Any players who don't fit into those categories, he finds a way to misuse or just flat out doesn't want his GM to acquire.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
People insisted for years that Sullivan was the victim of his GMs not being on the same page as him.

I have debated people as recently as just several seasons ago that insisted that Mike Sullivan simply silently sits by and takes what he gets with little to no input. Madness.
Remember when it came out he approached JR about wanting Jack Johnson and outlined how he would utilize him on this roster and then had Gonchar back him up?

It cost Gonchar his job.

Or how he wanted Mark Jankowski who quite literally sucked and he kept playing for 40+ games instead of others in the system that were far better, this team has always made every effort they could within reason and at times even without reason, to make it his team and got in shit for it rather than him.

Some still do it now, they just refuse to accept it. They'd rather blame JR and Hextall like they were some ghouls that had this sinister ulterior motive to destroy the team - especially if you read the drivel by Yohe and Rossi in their tumblr-esque fan fiction about the whole ordeal of "Say it ain't so Geno, tis I, your brother Sidney Crosby to the rescue from the horrid Sheriff Hextall!" or whatever dumb shit they were ranting on about with feelings and texts.

Sullivan's ideal team:
-Sid between the smallest wingers possible who can skate fast but suck defensively and have hands of stone

Any players who don't fit into those categories, he finds a way to misuse or just flat out doesn't want his GM to acquire.
Lol, nailed it.

I also was never a fan of how he utilized the starter and back-up, he'd pick the worst time to break up the workload and would never understand when to pull the goalie or realizing when his goalies needed to be rotated in the schedule while you'd see every other team do it better.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Let's also not forget, he really wanted Big Game (Br)Ass because for reasons unkown, Riley Sheahan who was a perfectly good 3C for us that year, wasn't enough and he also wanted to openly beef with Ian Cole to the point of being petty with his usage, his minutes, at times healthy scratching him until he couldn't because he needed him even if he didn't want to use him.

That trade that Sullivan basically forced, also cost the Penguins a 1st and Gustavsson.

Then to make it better, he used Brassard like Sheahan and was shocked he wasn't working out in that role, then tried him on wing, etc, just an absolute shit show. With the funniest f***ing part being he talked about his familiarity with him and how he was his Assistant Coach, blah blah...then went on to do all of the wrong things with him.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sullivan's ideal team:

That's pretty much spot on actually. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad