Post-Game Talk: Game V Pens win: Geno is so score

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I have less issues with Dubas bringing back Jarry than I have issues giving Jarry the deal they gave him. I don't see any reason why they should have given Jarry a 5 year deal when he was coming off a down year and really struggled at the end of the 2022-2023 season. He missed a significant amount of time due to injuries (only played in 2 games from January 1st through February 20th) and was terrible after coming back (.890 save% in 20 games after his injury).

I understand re-signing Jarry because the market was absolutely terrible in the 2023 off-season, I just don't see why they gave him a 5 year deal. I would have absolutely preferred a higher AAV deal at only 3 years, because if it went to shit you'd be able to get out of it far easier.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Because blokes here make him a main character for absolutely no reason other than their own ego and pettiness to keep pointing out the obvious with him.

It's like for f***s sake, we all get it. But it's now gotten to the point of personal attacks to the player and just emotional idiocy for comments about how awful he is and blah blah. It went past "yeah he's not good right now, they should trade him or demote him" to "HE LOST US GAMES, SERIES, LIVES, MY TINY PENIS ENERGY CAN'T HANDLE THIS!"

Like Mike Sullivan, we'd rather never discuss Jarry ever again with this team. But we can't have nice things, especially with how are fans are on this board, I can see why now.
internet_white_knight_colored_4350.jpg

I still can't figure out why you're white knighting so hard for Jarry. The "tiny penis" stuff is just flat out bizarre from you. You ruin your own argument there. It's perfectly fine to just say the guy sucks right now. Why people can't do that is beyond me.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Because starting goalies impact results more than anyone else, and people wanna see playoffs again. Plus he's ruining people's mood during games.

OK then trade him or waive him? It's irrelevant anyway or whatever, right? I just don't get coming to this guy's aid every single thread. He's not been good here in the balance and we've had plenty of time to come to that conclusion regardless of how shit the defense is (and it HAS been shit this year so far and most of the last two, especially). You seem to hate excuses and expect results but you are punting here for some reason... why?

Because blokes here make him a main character for absolutely no reason other than their own ego and pettiness to keep pointing out the obvious with him.

It's like for f***s sake, we all get it. But it's now gotten to the point of personal attacks to the player and just emotional idiocy for comments about how awful he is and blah blah. It went past "yeah he's not good right now, they should trade him or demote him" to "HE LOST US GAMES, SERIES, LIVES, MY TINY PENIS ENERGY CAN'T HANDLE THIS!"

Like Mike Sullivan, we'd rather never discuss Jarry ever again with this team. But we can't have nice things, especially with how are fans are on this board, I can see why now.

I get that it's frustrating going down the same road over and over again. That's a big part of the reason he should get a fresh start somewhere else.

I don't think this is a matter of "lol dum dums always just blame the goaltender." And maybe he DOES bounceback elsewhere... I could see it. But he's playing at what is basically replacement level and the dynamic between him and the team seems close to irreparable.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not going to start a poll or anything but quite honestly, I think 99% of the board would actually tell you the same thing.

At this point, judging by the last several posts, this isn't an "us" issue. This is a you issue. A bizarre you issue, at that. You are suggesting people have "small dick energy" because they are complaining about Jarry's putrid play? In a PGT after a game where he posts a 0.400 sv%, lets in 3 on 5 shots and gets pulled?

Dude...come one. You've been around long enough. You're better than this.
In the PGT, you lot bitched about Jarry more than praising Blomqvist's game.

If you want to say Dude, come on...let's start there.

Diverting attention to a goalie that is absolutely awful right now and since March of last year isn't worth anyone's energy.

I get that it's frustrating going down the same road over and over again. That's a big part of the reason he should get a fresh start somewhere else.

I don't think this is a matter of "lol dum dums always just blame the goaltender." And maybe he DOES bounceback elsewhere... I could see it. But he's playing at what is basically replacement level and the dynamic between him and the team seems close to irreparable.
Replacement level is being kind. He's playing at a level that isn't even NHL or AHL caliber, to the point where you'd expect to hear him say he's taking a step back for player assistance. The team needed to move on from him before his current contract and chose not to, so we're now here.

I'd rather we focused on discussing how good Blomqvist is and how this team needs to be better defensively because they're allowing the 3rd most shots against and if we want to see a young stud like Joel flourish, he's going to need a defense that's coached better than an ECHL squad.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I think its weird how Hockeydb still has Murashov listed at 6' when he's 6'2"...how has a site that looks like it's from 1999 and a go to for so many, still so behind in information that is readily available on multiple other sites somewhat similar to it.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Winning B2B helps when Sid and Geno are late 20s not late 30s.

We're at the end because our generational talents are old and the next generation is taking over. We can bemoan roster moves all we want but Cup winners have high end talents in their prime. When was the last time a team won the Cup with the star talents being late 30s?
Detroit had some guys Yzerman, Lidstrom, Hull Players in their cup run in 2002 and Lidstrom in 2008. Detroit was an old folks home in 2002. Most of their stars in the 30's +

But I was bringing up that they were in their primes still when the let downs started happening.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
My problem with late game Rutherford all the way to Dubas is the total lack of identity, not only within a team, but from line to line and player to player.

Another poster brought up the Reaves trade. At the time, I made a big fuss of it on other boards because I saw how significant that was. It was Rutherford losing the plot of what made the team special.

Without getting into the Xs and Os, it was youthful legs, playing the game fast (in execution moreso than feet), and scoring on all four lines.

I have to ask myself now what is this team trying to accomplish?

They seem to have acquired a few guys to enable a behind the net approach to offense, which I think is something they seem to be focusing on even more now than in years past. As is the case with most Sullivan teams, that seems to have caused them to get burned more on odd man rushes than ever before. I haven't done a deep dive on it, but 2018-now, a lot of the odd mans came from awkwardly stupid pinches by the D moreso than a the third forward getting caught too deep. Now, it seems like the deep forward is the main culprit. Maybe it's a bit of both.

Dubas had a goal of "youth" at the end of last year. Naturally, we see Acciari and Hayes getting fourth line minutes. Beauvillier is in his 30s and on the top line. What exactly is the team identity past "the 35+ year old players need to carry us every night."

I guess Bunting and McGroarty leans a bit more into net front/behind the net type chaos? I realize Hayes and Glass were just ways to acquire assets, but why those guys in particular?

What was the goal of Ryan Graves? What do the Penguins expect of their defensemen now?

Like what's going on, really?

It's the same overload nonsense they've been getting burned on for years. It's the same awful power play setup that it was last year. I suppose they're just hoping they get different results?
Beauvillier is a 1997 birthyear, he's 27.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
This is the issue when people want to talk about goalies: using just stats doesn't tell the entire story.

Jarry's numbers last night were obviously terrible, but what you don't see on the statline is this team was battling back after digging itself a hole. Then the next shot Jarry lets in.

Goalie change and the same score. Breakaway for the other team and Blom stopped him. That only goes down as 1 save but it was the equivalent of about 10 saves. That puck goes in and this team folds like a cheap tent and doesn't get any points.

How do you quantify that? Jarry has sunk his team with untimely goals but supporters will say "he's a league average goalie". Again stats don't tell you the entire story at all with goalies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Detroit had some guys Yzerman, Lidstrom, Hull Players in their cup run in 2002 and Lidstrom in 2008. Detroit was an old folks home in 2002. Most of their stars in the 30's +

But I was bringing up that they were in their primes still when the let downs started happening.

That's what happens when there's no salary cap and you could basically just buy a team full of 33-35 year old future HHOFers.

Detroit's roster in 2002 cost $65 million. The salary cap established in 2005 was almost half of that at $39 million, and the salary cap didn't pass $65 million until 2014-2015.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This is the issue when people want to talk about goalies: using just stats doesn't tell the entire story.

Jarry's numbers last night were obviously terrible, but what you don't see on the statline is this team was battling back after digging itself a hole. Then the next shot Jarry lets in.

Goalie change and the same score. Breakaway for the other team and Blom stopped him. That only goes down as 1 save but it was the equivalent of about 10 saves. That puck goes in and this team folds like a cheap tent and doesn't get any points.

How do you quantify that? Jarry has sunk his team with untimely goals but supporters will say "he's a league average goalie". Again stats don't tell you the entire story at all with goalies.

Perfectly said.

Numbers don't necessarily LIE like people do. But they can absolutely be misleading.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I feel like this is especially relevant in hockey where when Jarry gives up a few early ones it immediately changes how the team plays and leads them to start taking chances to get back into the game which can make the game snowball on TJ even worse because now he has to start facing odd man rushes since the Pens are playing more offensive to try to get back into it.

I don't know how you analytically quantify that but we've all seen it. The Pens came out well against the Rangers and couldn't score and then TJ gave up a couple and the Pens completely abandoned all pretenses at defending because they wanted to generate offense.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
In the PGT, you lot bitched about Jarry more than praising Blomqvist's game.

If you want to say Dude, come on...let's start there.

Diverting attention to a goalie that is absolutely awful right now and since March of last year isn't worth anyone's energy.

Replacement level is being kind. He's playing at a level that isn't even NHL or AHL caliber, to the point where you'd expect to hear him say he's taking a step back for player assistance. The team needed to move on from him before his current contract and chose not to, so we're now here.

I'd rather we focused on discussing how good Blomqvist is and how this team needs to be better defensively because they're allowing the 3rd most shots against and if we want to see a young stud like Joel flourish, he's going to need a defense that's coached better than an ECHL squad.
People bitch about certain things insistently around here about a lot of things. We have one poster who believes his life mission is to defend the reign of Ron f***ing Hextall for christ sake.

Jarry was legit terrible last game. If people rightfully dogging him for it upsets you, ignore it. No one is forcing you defend the indefensible. Blaming anyone but Jarry is not getting you anywhere.

Emp pointed out 02 obviously but 08 even had several high-end players in their 20s - Dats, Zetts, Hudler, Franzen, Kronwall, etc. But I get what you're saying.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
How is that irrelevant?
Since when is the offense allowed to suck when a contending season is on the line?
They still have a job to do, regardless of what Jarry does.

2 goals on 50 shots is 4% shooting. That's completely unacceptable, especially with how much offensive talent we had in the lineup and how good the chances were.

It's possible for two things to be true at the same time.

How dare you inject logic to a bunch of miserable pathetic twats on this board.

You should be ashamed.

so the CUP champions last year, against igor the last two games only scored just over 5% on their shooting. The thing that can also be true is your goalie can up his game when the opposing goalie is seeing beach balls, and not giving away back breaking goals in key moments during the game.
Bob put up a .958 and a .926 during those two games. so I guess the rangers suck scoring wise too because they only put up 4.2% shooting in an elimination game. OR... perhaps the goalie they were shooting at was just having himself a game...

It is also true that a our AHL starter is worlds better then him. So is our NHL backup. it's possible that at this moment Jarry is literally 4th on our depth chart when ned is healthy.

Jarry can't be launched into the sun soon enough

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
OK then trade him or waive him? It's irrelevant anyway or whatever, right? I just don't get coming to this guy's aid every single thread. He's not been good here in the balance and we've had plenty of time to come to that conclusion regardless of how shit the defense is (and it HAS been shit this year so far and most of the last two, especially). You seem to hate excuses and expect results but you are punting here for some reason... why?
I only care about the truth, no matter who it supports.
Since people here shamelessly lie, rewrite history or brainwash themselves constantly with Jarry, that creates the conflict.

I agree he should be waived and traded. Never claimed otherwise. But my focus is on unburdening the team's cap for now and in the future. He's unlikely to play up to his cap hit and he might become increasingly untradeable. His mental state and body language are very negative this year. And now the crowd is ridiculing him too, which will probably hurt his ability to recover mentally.
This is a good time for waivers, when GMs will overreact to bad starts and make bad long-term decisions. It's possible we can unload that entire contract at no penalty, or at least make a good trade.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
My problem with late game Rutherford all the way to Dubas is the total lack of identity, not only within a team, but from line to line and player to player.
I get this notion by some but I also have to add - The GM will make moves he feels his team needs but 99% of the time, he's made moves to help his coach create the identity he wants.

So since 2018, what has the identity become of the Penguins? They completely steered away from how they used the bottom 6, Sullivan essentially deploys them like two 4th line checking lines, their deployment and usage suggests that but he will talk about it like something else. The team plays a system that isn't quick at all, they're a mess all over the ice, which slows players down because they're not playing a quick transition game like they were in the 2 cups, there's nothing quick about how they leave their zone.

They also don't use much youth and the minutes to the bottom 6 is not consistent at all, so what are you using the bottom 6 for? In Bylsma's system, he used the 4th line to grind and forecheck hard, then the Staal line would come out and do it at a higher level and generate offense with Kennedy and Cooke, then you'd have Sid & Geno's line come in as layered attacks.

What is Sullivan's identity on this team? Using Mass area wankers he likes? Giving more veterans a chance than youth that inject some life into this team when used? The team has had 3 GM's under this coach and each time the version of this team stays the same, which tells you the team does have an identity, we just don't like it and want to accept it as being what it is right now.

Another poster brought up the Reaves trade. At the time, I made a big fuss of it on other boards because I saw how significant that was. It was Rutherford losing the plot of what made the team special.
I think this one is highly unfair. JR had Crosby come up and kind of request or suggest adding someone like Reaves and that wasn't wrong really. What was, is how Sullivan chased out Reaves and then later that season in 2017-18 when we needed Reaves, we saw ZAR get obliterated by Wilson and Oleksiak had to step in to fight him and was KTFO by Wilson. To me that was a bigger issue than anything, JR got Reaves because Sid talked about how players like that are necessary and the team hadn't had one for a long time, Sullivan pouted with his usage and basically punished Reaves for playing physical.

But a star asking for an enforcer? Fine, that's fine, normal even. Mario wanted McSorely, etc, so did Wayne, absolutely normal really.

What wasn't normal? To reiterate, how Reaves was used and how the coach basically pouted about having to use him. Reaves was perfectly fine in limited 4th line usage, if he was used like that often, but he wasn't. It was almost like the more Reaves played physical, the more the coach hated it and that was bizarre to a lot of us at the time, to the point where we now joke about how if a player plays too physical, they won't be in the line-up anymore. Sullivan has struggled with reigning in players like that, Lafferty was a bit of a loose cannon with his physical play, but he was reigned in for other teams and has carved out a solid 4th line career in the NHL since. But the issue was less Reaves and more so how he was used. The way he was used made it seem a lot worse imo.

I think what JR gave up for him was definitely a lot, but this was also a player that apparently Crosby name dropped and he was the best enforcer in the league at the time, he's 37 now and players like him don't even last past age 30 most of the time, so that's more or less a different issue of what Reaves is now which may cloud everyone's judgement. But he was still an effective energy player on the 4th line that could chip in until his Wild tenure at around 34-35.

Just to add some actual back up info:
Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby is appreciative of general manager Jim Rutherford’s decision to acquire rugged Ryan Reaves to provide on-ice protection for him and his teammates.
“Early on, I was used to having a guy on your team like that,” Crosby said. “Every team had a tough guy. I grew up used to that. But for a period of time, it hasn’t been the case.”

It just was dumb, they got Reaves for a reason, Crosby wanted someone like that, the coach then pouts about the idea of Reaves on this team and that his "system and style" didn't require the need for Reaves, up until why Sid and Co wanted Reaves, reared its ugly head vs the Caps in the 2nd round, Wilson ran around knowing there was no one on the team that could do jack shit to him.

Without getting into the Xs and Os, it was youthful legs, playing the game fast (in execution moreso than feet), and scoring on all four lines.

I have to ask myself now what is this team trying to accomplish?
It's almost as if anyone that shows their youthful energy on this team, are seemingly punished with less minutes and then replaced with a veteran. Last season for example, Harkins was terrible but when Gruden played you could see that 4th line get a boost just from his energy and the fact that Vellucci himself trusted Gruden enough to throw him on the PK as a rookie.

How many solid young players do we see barely get a chance? Hallander left, Puustinen hasn't played in 5 games so far, etc etc, but we'll get Beauvillier, Lizotte, etc and give them all the chances in the world. That's a massive problem with this team and that's not on the GM, it's the coach that decides who he wants to use and really, these are players that both of them sat down and agreed upon. This team should be better, but it's coached to be this way for some reason that only the coach knows for why.
They seem to have acquired a few guys to enable a behind the net approach to offense, which I think is something they seem to be focusing on even more now than in years past. As is the case with most Sullivan teams, that seems to have caused them to get burned more on odd man rushes than ever before. I haven't done a deep dive on it, but 2018-now, a lot of the odd mans came from awkwardly stupid pinches by the D moreso than a the third forward getting caught too deep. Now, it seems like the deep forward is the main culprit. Maybe it's a bit of both.
Yeah I noticed that a lot as well, the issue is also that the D rushes up kind of late and then pinches, which by then is tough to come back and defend so the other team quickly transitions the other way and the Penguins are caught deep or coming into support too late and can't sustain pressure at all. That and the forwards look more clueless for where they should be in their own end. I think a big telltale sign is Rust and Crosby don't look all that sure of themselves in their own end and end up chasing the puck a lot in their own zone more than creating offense.

The odd man rushes, break downs in the defensive zone, etc - That's been going on for a while, it's just progressively getting worse if anything. The team has overhauled the defense so much since 2018 as well and I'm not sure why it needed to so often, the coach seemed to never be happy with anyone they got and the list is quite long at this point of how much the Penguins have overhauled the defense. Teams with worse players do better, that's not good.

Dubas had a goal of "youth" at the end of last year. Naturally, we see Acciari and Hayes getting fourth line minutes. Beauvillier is in his 30s and on the top line. What exactly is the team identity past "the 35+ year old players need to carry us every night."
Yeah that was bizarre to me but I don't know, Dubas getting these veterans that Sullivan seemingly adores and talks up kind of answers it for me and I hate having to keep mention that twat coach, but it is what it is at this point. This is his team and the GM's get players he wants, the few Dubas definitely wanted are pretty obvious - Ex Leafs, which all but 1 are in the AHL, Bunting.

But to healthy scratch Puljujarvi for no reason, Puustinen getting zero games, Beauvillier still used in the top 6 when he's been pretty below average and a younger player would have been healthy scratched by now, it's just frustrating to see this sort of thing where veterans get this insanely long rope.

Hayes has actually been decent on the 4th line and so has Acciari, so I can't really criticize them, but the minutes Glass gets? That I can. He's a young player that's actually being used along with DOC, but Glass' minutes are awful. He should get more minutes on the PK and used more at 5v5 but he barely plays 10mins some nights.

Vs the Habs - 9:51 TOI/G
and recently vs the Sabres - 8:18 TOI/G

I was vocal about not liking Glass as a RW, but as a C he's been good, but his minutes being cut that much for no reason is on brand Sullivan, its frustrating. Meanwhile Beauvillier does flashy shit that results in nothing and gets 13+ a night.
I guess Bunting and McGroarty leans a bit more into net front/behind the net type chaos? I realize Hayes and Glass were just ways to acquire assets, but why those guys in particular?

What was the goal of Ryan Graves? What do the Penguins expect of their defensemen now?

Like what's going on, really?

It's the same overload nonsense they've been getting burned on for years. It's the same awful power play setup that it was last year. I suppose they're just hoping they get different results?
Yeah I have nothing to add to this that hasn't been stated already, its just the same shit over and over again with this team. Dubas adding Graves, I don't know how much of that at this point was Dubas thinking that was a good idea vs coming into a new team and being told hey we're keen on this bloke and so he gets him.

Because I don't think Dubas was on the team long enough to pick these names out as main targets.

June 1st, Penguins hire Kyle Dubas and then July 1st they sign Ryan Graves. That one felt like internally they had a list and he came on and just kind of went through it and was like ok yeah sure, lets get him if you guys want him, etc. Not dissimilar to Jack Johnson's ask by the coach.

I only care about the truth, no matter who it supports.
Since people here shamelessly lie, rewrite history or brainwash themselves constantly with Jarry, that creates the conflict.

I agree he should be waived and traded. Never claimed otherwise. But my focus is on unburdening the team's cap for now and in the future. He's unlikely to play up to his cap hit and he might become increasingly untradeable. His mental state and body language are very negative this year. And now the crowd is ridiculing him too, which will probably hurt his ability to recover mentally.
This is a good time for waivers, when GMs will overreact to bad starts and make bad long-term decisions. It's possible we can unload that entire contract at no penalty, or at least make a good trade.
Yeah, I agree 100% with this.

Ned being on a conditioning assignment, I would just demote Jarry the moment Ned is back from that and just quietly let him do his thing in WBS, if he improves, great, if not, that's fine he can stay there and be a compliance buyout in the off season, but there's literally no other solution that this team should look into that doesn't involve giving up multiple picks.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
so the CUP champions last year, against igor the last two games only scored just over 5% on their shooting. The thing that can also be true is your goalie can up his game when the opposing goalie is seeing beach balls, and not giving away back breaking goals in key moments during the game.
Bob put up a .958 and a .926 during those two games. so I guess the rangers suck scoring wise too because they only put up 4.2% shooting in an elimination game. OR... perhaps the goalie they were shooting at was just having himself a game...
I brought up the series as a whole first, and how the scoring was bad overall.
Game 5 was just the peak example of their futility.

Their goalie was excellent but the Pens shooting was also laughably trash. Rewatch that game and you'll see.
They had him on the run and they couldn't pick corners or openings to save their life.
What's especially frustrating is that it was a league #2 offense, and their finishing was like ECHL level on that night.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I have less issues with Dubas bringing back Jarry than I have issues giving Jarry the deal they gave him. I don't see any reason why they should have given Jarry a 5 year deal when he was coming off a down year and really struggled at the end of the 2022-2023 season. He missed a significant amount of time due to injuries (only played in 2 games from January 1st through February 20th) and was terrible after coming back (.890 save% in 20 games after his injury).

I understand re-signing Jarry because the market was absolutely terrible in the 2023 off-season, I just don't see why they gave him a 5 year deal. I would have absolutely preferred a higher AAV deal at only 3 years, because if it went to shit you'd be able to get out of it far easier.
Hard to say who pushed for that contract really.

Dubas was hired a month before he signed Graves and extended Jarry. Those might have been internal mandates by the team before he got there, because he wasn't a Gm that sat on goalies that struggled and kept them, in his time on the Leafs, he made multiple moves to bring in different goalies.

From 2018 to end of 2023 season when he left the Leafs, he had multiple goalies and wasn't shy to move on to a new one if they didn't perform, asked for too much etc:

• Garret Sparks - parts of 2 seasons on the big club
  • Frederik Andersen - Inherited as a Gm, but was so injury prone he had to go and find other goalies that were reliable in that regard (he left after the 2020-21 season to sign with Carolina, where he remains)
  • Michael Hutchinson - Seemed to like him as a depth goalie, brought him back twice
  • Jack Campbell - He hedged his bets on Jack and it paid off, then Jack went and f***ed up and signed for the Oilers for more money, didn't work out for him, but that also shows you Dubas let a goalie walk that had better numbers than Jarry and it wasn't for much more than what Jarry is getting now (Jack signed for a 5m/yr cap hit, Jarry 5.375m).
  • Dave Rittich - Took a chance on him from the Flames, didn't work out and left quickly, had that one brief moment in the sun and now is back to ass.
  • Erik Kallgren - Looked outside of the NHL to bring in some goalie depth, didn't work out, but it showed he wasn't shy to look anywhere for goalie dpeth.
  • Petr Mrazek - Another goalie that spent 1yr in Toronto, he was injury prone and Dubas realized he made a mistake (so he figured) and even swapped a 1st rounder to Chicago to take on that contract. Again, a goalie he signed, didn't like what he saw with reliability and moved him. That was just a 3.8m cap hit for 3yrs too.
  • Then of course he traded for Matt Murray and signed Ilya Samsonov to a dirt cheap contract, Murray is still in the Leafs system, well documented injury history of course and Ilya has moved on.

So given that, Dubas committing to Jarry and not moving him is odd, he's a GM that has never been shy to move goalies he didn't like the results from or felt they weren't reliable health wise, etc. So I don't know the behind the scenes stuff with why he signed Jarry to that contract, but I wonder if it was all him and more so the team saying hey you need to sign him, here's the list of things we need done asap.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think Dubas had been here near long enough to be completely informed on his own about Jarry. I have to figure there was a ton of team input on that one. But maybe I'm assuming too much.

As to why five years... who knows. I think maybe Jarry and his agent played some hardball and the Penguins just blinked.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I brought up the series as a whole first, and how the scoring was bad overall.
Game 5 was just the peak example of their futility.

Their goalie was excellent but the Pens shooting was also laughably trash. Rewatch that game and you'll see.
They had him on the run and they couldn't pick corners or openings to save their life.
What's especially frustrating is that it was a league #2 offense, and their finishing was like ECHL level on that night.
Mate there's no point in injecting logic into that discussion - blokes here have it made up in their minds that in 2020-21, one player ruined that series entirely.

Not that Sid had 1 goal in 6 games, Jake also had 1 goal, Malkin wasn't even all that healthy and had 1 goal in 4 games, the entire offense was dried up and the goalie was also dreadful, but blokes here will at like it was a singular issue with who tanked that series, it never was 1 player and with how little the Penguins scored in that series, Jarry being crap in it was bad, but there was a lot of bad in that series.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

If he's still starting regularly while his competition is outperforming him and its costing the team points, that seems about as relevant and current a topic to discuss as any.

Reactions: vikingGoalie

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I don't think Dubas had been here near long enough to be completely informed on his own about Jarry. I have to figure there was a ton of team input on that one. But maybe I'm assuming too much.

As to why five years... who knows. I think maybe Jarry and his agent played some hardball and the Penguins just blinked.
I don't believe that part at all. Dubas isn't new to being a GM, he played hard ball a ton in Toronto and was quick on the draw to remove players that wanted more or tried to play hard ball in that way with him.

For him to barely be a Penguins GM for a month, barely a month, and then go and sign big contracts to Graves and Jarry, that's definitely a ton of input by someone else. If I recall correctly about this - I believe this was around the time FSG also made it known Mike Sullivan is to do what is necessary to fix WBS and the development and was being talked about as having a lot more say then we realized.

Read into that what you will.

If he's still starting regularly while his competition is outperforming him and its costing the team points, that seems about as relevant and current a topic to discuss as any.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't believe that part at all. Dubas isn't new to being a GM, he played hard ball a ton in Toronto and was quick on the draw to remove players that wanted more or tried to play hard ball in that way with him.

For him to barely be a Penguins GM for a month, barely a month, and then go and sign big contracts to Graves and Jarry, that's definitely a ton of input by someone else. If I recall correctly about this - I believe this was around the time FSG also made it known Mike Sullivan is to do what is necessary to fix WBS and the development and was being talked about as having a lot more say then we realized.

Read into that what you will.

I mean... some people are going to be loathe to admit it now since last season was kind of a dumpster fire but the big commentary around the team once Dubas was hired is how Mike Sullivan would FINALLY have a GM to be on the same page with and that he was going to basically get his wish list granted.

Whoops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad