Post-Game Talk: Game V Pens win: Geno is so score

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
My take....
++ Geno - youngest 38 year old in the league!

- Jarry - so I don't care about the 3 goals on 5 shots. The issue is team was struggling out of the gate and, as usual, Jarry struggles along with them. Make an f***ing save when we actually need it. and give the team a boost!

+ Blomqvist - also let in 2 quick ones, the difference was he made key ones when needed before the goals, and after. We were giving away breakaways like candy.

- Sully - you know the D has issues. Fix it!

+ Bottom 6 - I love the fact that they are building chemistry.

All in all the entertainment value of that game was through the roof! Definitely a memorable one!

It had highs, lows, controversy, rare celebrations....and at the end of it all, we won! :D

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Last night was nice. Other than watching a team winning the cup, that is the best game/moments you could ever want. Two 20-year long franchise cornerstones hitting huge milestones, assisting on each others goals as the team comebacks from an early deficit to win in overtime at home.

Depending on who wins the cup, 1-2% of hockey fans on any given year see their team win the cup (I know the math is 3.1%, but Toronto, New York and Montreal haven't won a cup since 94 and TO + NY have one combined since '67 and they are huge fan bases) We've won 5 cups since I was born and 3 that I can remember. For 2 I was able to go to finals games/parades and party from 8am-3am with many of you fine people.

As a Canadian on top of that, I am very lucky as a hockey fan and we should have less pity party Pens fans out there. Sucking and tanking will always be awful, but even though Sid robbed some of you Yanks of gold, in 2010, we've had a pretty good 35 years of being hockey fans ;)

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
This series, this game 5, this choke?

And your post is asking why guys like Sid, Jake, and McCann got a pass while everyone jumped on Jarry? Are you serious?
Not asking why. Simply stating that the goalie was not the only anchor in that series, and people will pretend like he was.
But I still remember that series and know that's a lie.
That juggernaut regular season offense failed too. And L1's poor defending cost us goals against on top of their offensive failure.

There were a lot of close games still and numerous guys who were regular season beasts sucked when we needed them most. Game 5 was a shining example. 2 goals on 50 shots. A plethora of high danger chances where we got their goalie moving laterally and had openings.
AHL finishing cost them that game well before OT.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Crosby was only 29 when they won in 2017. They totally screwed up from that point on for 8 years.
Winning B2B helps when Sid and Geno are late 20s not late 30s.

We're at the end because our generational talents are old and the next generation is taking over. We can bemoan roster moves all we want but Cup winners have high end talents in their prime. When was the last time a team won the Cup with the star talents being late 30s?
Not asking why. Simply stating that the goalie was not the only anchor in that series, and people will pretend like he was.
But I still remember that series and know that's a lie.
That juggernaut regular season offense failed too. And L1's poor defending cost us goals against on top of their offensive failure.

There were a lot of close games still and numerous guys who were regular season beasts sucked when we needed them most. Game 5 was a shining example. 2 goals on 50 shots. A plethora of high danger chances where we got their goalie moving laterally and had openings.
AHL finishing cost them that game well before OT.
Game 5 was lost by Jarry. 2 goals on 50 shots is irrelevant.

That game is the perfect example of "who gives a shit about the forest when it's one tree?"

Jarry's sv% or GAA does not matter from Game 5. What matters is that he made a gaffe and let in an INCREDIBLY soft 2OT goal in a critical Game 5. Period. Everything else is secondary to a very extreme extent. It doesn't matter why they are at 2OT with 2 goals on 50 shots. That's irrelevant to the game-losing goal.

That game is a good micronism of Jarry's issues today and as a whole.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010

We're at the end because our generational talents are old and the next generation is taking over. We can bemoan roster moves all we want but Cup winners have high end talents in their prime. When was the last time a team won the Cup with the star talents being late 30s?

That game is the perfect example of "who gives a shit about the forest when it's one tree?"

Jarry's sv% or GAA does not matter from Game 5. What matters is that he made a gaffe and let in an INCREDIBLY soft 2OT goal in a critical Game 5. Period. Everything else is secondary to a very extreme extent. It doesn't matter why they are at 2OT with 2 goals on 50 shots. That's irrelevant to the game-losing goal.

Attachments

• 1729187900534.png
    1729187900534.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 1

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
what Sealbound said can't be emphasized enough. I've been on the get Jarry out of here train since he single handedly lost us that series against the isle. Jarry is just incapable of rising to meet the occasion. He's probably playing even worse right now because the pressure is real, he's about to lose his starting role for good, and there is a chance he is done as a starting goalie in this league. He's not fighting that off, coming into camp in "best shape of his life" does nothing for the 2 cent head of his. He should've spent all summer working with a goalie coach addressing how poorly he reads the play. I can pick it out easily because I've resembled that at times lol....

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
This series, this game 5, this choke?

And your post is asking why guys like Sid, Jake, and McCann got a pass while everyone jumped on Jarry? Are you serious?

I'll repeat what I said multiple times because it's, again, very relevant here:

Jarry is at a point where SV% and GAA do not matter anymore. It's irrelevant and even more irrelevant now with the team in the position that it is. If you're 8-2 but your goalie is .900 sv% and 4.00 GAA, then there might be cause for concern come playoff time. We are merely looking to get into that WC2 slot. The W matters. I don't give a shit if they post .850s game in and game out, but if they come out with the win, that's all that matters this year. Jarry needs to be putting the team in a position to win every single game. He is not doing that. At the end of the day, SV% and GAA are irrelevant if your goalie is either making a pass in the video above or letting in an incredibly soft goal to start the game. Even in the three games he's been in, there are shots that your goalie needs to save in order to win a game that Jarry isn't making.

We no longer care about goalie vs goalie stats. If Neds posts a .875% but makes a key save late in the third during a tie game (or up by 1), I don't care about the the sv% afterwards if we get the W. Similarly, if Jarry posts a 1.000 but lets in a softy at the end and we lose 1-0, I'm not going to care if his sv% was 0.9999% if we have a loss.

This is a VERY hard position for Jarry to play himself out of. It's not the forest anymore with him, it's the tree(s).

06-07 Sid with a Rantanan+Nuke/Landy, Hyman+Drai, or Guentzel level linemate in 2024...woof, good luck league.

giphy.gif

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
Sacramento, CA
There's no downside to getting rid of Jarry. None. Barring a more crippling contract back our way.

The downside is having a manufactured logjam at backstop... And using $5+mil to do so.

The upside to keeping him is.... Also none. He's not going to will us to the finals. The team lacks killer instinct and so does he. It would be more entertaining to see FSG light $5mil on fire outside the arena.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018

How is that irrelevant?
Since when is the offense allowed to suck when a contending season is on the line?
They still have a job to do, regardless of what Jarry does.

2 goals on 50 shots is 4% shooting. That's completely unacceptable, especially with how much offensive talent we had in the lineup and how good the chances were.

It's possible for two things to be true at the same time.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Sideline

May 23, 2004
what Sealbound said can't be emphasized enough. I've been on the get Jarry out of here train since he single handedly lost us that series against the isle. Jarry is just incapable of rising to meet the occasion. He's probably playing even worse right now because the pressure is real, he's about to lose his starting role for good, and there is a chance he is done as a starting goalie in this league. He's not fighting that off, coming into camp in "best shape of his life" does nothing for the 2 cent head of his. He should've spent all summer working with a goalie coach addressing how poorly he reads the play. I can pick it out easily because I've resembled that at times lol....
One thing said on the broadcast last night that struck a chord with me was that Jarry "moves slowly." That's something you can't stop seeing once you look for it.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
How is that irrelevant?
Since when is the offense allowed to suck when a contending season is on the line?

2 goals on 50 shots is 4% shooting. That's completely unacceptable, especially with how much offensive talent we had in the lineup and how good the chances were.

How dare you inject logic to a bunch of miserable pathetic twats on this board.

You should be ashamed.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I was on board with re-signing Jarry two years ago, mainly because the options were so odorous at the time. Might as well go with what you know. But there is no excuse to bringing him back this year after it was clear he was not going to get better here. That is on Dubas.

The G carousel was spinning out of control this off-season, we sat on the sidelines and watched it happen. Inexcusable, really.

The good news is we seem to have two very very good goaltending prospects, one in the NHL and one in the AHL. That bodes well.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I feel like the badguys in John Wick, kinda.

"It's just a f***in' goaltender"

How are we getting so caught up on this guy? He isn't even a big personality to make up for his on ice pants-shitting. I just don't get it.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
My problem with late game Rutherford all the way to Dubas is the total lack of identity, not only within a team, but from line to line and player to player.

Another poster brought up the Reaves trade. At the time, I made a big fuss of it on other boards because I saw how significant that was. It was Rutherford losing the plot of what made the team special.

Without getting into the Xs and Os, it was youthful legs, playing the game fast (in execution moreso than feet), and scoring on all four lines.

I have to ask myself now what is this team trying to accomplish?

They seem to have acquired a few guys to enable a behind the net approach to offense, which I think is something they seem to be focusing on even more now than in years past. As is the case with most Sullivan teams, that seems to have caused them to get burned more on odd man rushes than ever before. I haven't done a deep dive on it, but 2018-now, a lot of the odd mans came from awkwardly stupid pinches by the D moreso than a the third forward getting caught too deep. Now, it seems like the deep forward is the main culprit. Maybe it's a bit of both.

Dubas had a goal of "youth" at the end of last year. Naturally, we see Acciari and Hayes getting fourth line minutes. Beauvillier is in his 30s and on the top line. What exactly is the team identity past "the 35+ year old players need to carry us every night."

I guess Bunting and McGroarty leans a bit more into net front/behind the net type chaos? I realize Hayes and Glass were just ways to acquire assets, but why those guys in particular?

What was the goal of Ryan Graves? What do the Penguins expect of their defensemen now?

Like what's going on, really?

It's the same overload nonsense they've been getting burned on for years. It's the same awful power play setup that it was last year. I suppose they're just hoping they get different results?

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
One thing said on the broadcast last night that struck a chord with me was that Jarry "moves slowly." That's something you can't stop seeing once you look for it.
You know, there were a bunch of injuries he had that the team has been super vague about and I wonder if those are why he moves like that now. I get the NHL has these rules now that they don't need to disclose what injuries players go through, Jarry's have been super secretive.

Always wondered wtf the injuries were.

Edit: To add to this, you hear about injuries to goalies like Demko and others that don't reveal it until much later, we can speculate and hate on players for being this bad or that bad, but we truly don't know what type of injuries or issues they're dealing with and what lingers on. I mean Malkin for example, had that ACL surgery and a lot are now saying, well it takes a year or so to really get back to normal for it and for a while all blokes wanted to bitch about was how Malkin lost a step, how he looked slow, how he didn't look strong on his skates...and now he does and the narrative shifts. I do remember Sullivan supposedly being "frustrated" with Jarry's injury I think the year of the Rangers series collapse, or something to that extent. Which is whatever really, but going back to some of the comments of Jarry's movements in net, I think some of it could make sense if those injuries have made him limited with movement in net, because you're right - he's slow in his crease and not just second guessing slow, which he also is doing, but even when skates out of the crease, he's not all that quick anymore and he's not old. So I am curious what his injuries were, because some were very significant and enough so that the team didn't disclose any of it and neither did Jarry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sideline

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018

How are we getting so caught up on this guy? He isn't even a big personality to make up for his on ice pants-shitting. I just don't get it.
Because starting goalies impact results more than anyone else, and people wanna see playoffs again. Plus he's ruining people's mood during games.

Personally, I'm not too worried about it. Even if Jarry played his best hockey to date, it's a 1st round exit at best.

If the team defends like this all year then goaltending is irrelevant anyway. There's only so many times they're gonna score 6 to cover for it.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

Because blokes here make him a main character for absolutely no reason other than their own ego and pettiness to keep pointing out the obvious with him.

It's like for f***s sake, we all get it. But it's now gotten to the point of personal attacks to the player and just emotional idiocy for comments about how awful he is and blah blah. It went past "yeah he's not good right now, they should trade him or demote him" to "HE LOST US GAMES, SERIES, LIVES, MY TINY PENIS ENERGY CAN'T HANDLE THIS!"

Like Mike Sullivan, we'd rather never discuss Jarry ever again with this team. But we can't have nice things, especially with how are fans are on this board, I can see why now.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
How is that irrelevant?

Yes and most people acknowledge that the team stunk in that entire series. The difference between 1-4 and 6 and Game 5 was that Jarry made an individual play that directly led to him giving up a soft goal. This wasn't a lapse in defense, this wasn't lack of offense, this was a single, individual play that lost the game. Most people, including myself, have stated that while the overall team play was poor, it's all a distant 2nd to Jarry having a putrid series. You even admit that the goalies have more influence on how the game turns out than anyone so why wouldn't they be judged with a higher level of scrutiny?

If you can't honestly watch that video and conclude that Jarry was at fault and that error cost them the game (because it literally 100% did), then I'm not quite sure what to tell you. It's like showing you Malkin's highlight goal from last night and you are saying "no, that wasn't Malkin who scored that". Or the entire board showing you the 2016 playoffs with pictures of Sid holding the cup and then showing you multiple irrefutable pieces of historical evidence that prove the Penguins won the cup and you saying, "No, they didn't win the cup in 2016".

Are you so hellbent on a narrative that frees Jarry of any responsibility for his play (especially THAT play) that you're willing to disregard reality to this extent? I mean, why? To what end? For what purpose?

Last edited:
Reactions: vikingGoalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad