Post-Game Talk: Game V Pens win: Geno is so score

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
That was a spirited effort @Honour Over Glory , but unfortunately over many years, winning and losing actually does matter more than sv.% and the likes.
The more so making the save that wins the match/preventing the goal that loses it. Jarry doesn’t do either enough. The less so the bigger the occasion.

I’ve wanted him traded for years, despite (and during!) his good spells too. Seems an otherwise likeable enough fella. Would root for him elsewhere.
W/L is the most useless goaltender statistic, followed by GAA and SV %.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Avs poop the bed again.

Who adds to Georgiev for Jarry?
Before this game I said Georgiev.

Now I think Avs hang up the phone

Lost in all the hoopla a little bit... Pulju is sure starting to look like found money.

Good depth signing by Dubas for sure. Also Sullivan is playing him though I suppose he isn't that young.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lost in all the hoopla a little bit... Pulju is sure starting to look like found money.

I tried to explain this for two years.

I give Dubas a lot of shit, but he built the bottom six that I’ve been asking for even if I don’t necessarily love the pieces he used to do it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

He looks like a winger version of Jordan Staal to me. I absolutely see why he doesn't work well as a top-6 winger but he's a guy you want on your 3rd line as a line driver. He's a tunnel vision player with a questionable hockey IQ, but he can just dominate possession by carrying the puck and using his size to dictate play.

I really like how O'Connor and Puljujarvi complement each other as a winger duo, I'd be happy to re-sign both and plan on that being a duo going forward. Get one of Broz or Ponomarev between those two and I really like that 3rd line.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So far this season, when we score three goals in a game, we win, and if we don't, we lose.
Obviously, this doesn't mean that the three goals are enough to win, but it does mean that we're going to eventually be able to score enough goals to win.
I wonder how long that will last.
I like how we’re playing to our strength—offense—to start this season, unlike like last season when Sullivan was trying to make us and EK into some great defensive team…it’s a struggle to maintain that…let the boys have fun and let us have entertaining hockey to start the season and we can tighten up later if we can get into a playoff position, which we’re in now…we’re only going as far as our scoring takes us…I’m tired of our dead puck lack of finishing era lol…

If we can get goalie play from Blom and Ned that can stem the tide of the breakaway attempts from our shitty D, we’re good to go lol…

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I like how we’re playing to our strength—offense—to start this season, unlike like last season when Sullivan was trying to make us and EK into some great defensive team…it’s a struggle to maintain that…let the boys have fun and let us have entertaining hockey the start the season and we can tighten up later if we can get into a playoff position, which we’re in now…we’re only going as far as our scoring takes us…I’m tired of our dead puck lack of finishing era lol…

If we can get goalie play from Blom and Ned that can stem the tide of the breakaway attempts from our shitty D, we’re good to go lol…

Can’t believe Mike Sullivan did this to Jarry.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Funny how every goalie lately that takes the starting job is the calm relaxed one that provides peace of mind from the now hectic and confidence shattered but once calm and relaxed goalie...

What is going on with penguins goaltenders since maf...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Jarry is mentally weak and cannot handle pressure. I wish we could figure out a way to get out from that contract.

Yeah not going to happen unless we retain 50%, add a first lol or take another shitty contract back, but I would be up for the latter…first two options are no gos…at least we can save $1.2M burying him in Wilkes

Reactions: TooManyHumans

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He looks like a winger version of Jordan Staal to me. I absolutely see why he doesn't work well as a top-6 winger but he's a guy you want on your 3rd line as a line driver. He's a tunnel vision player with a questionable hockey IQ, but he can just dominate possession by carrying the puck and using his size to dictate play.

I really like how O'Connor and Puljujarvi complement each other as a winger duo, I'd be happy to re-sign both and plan on that being a duo going forward. Get one of Broz or Ponomarev between those two and I really like that 3rd line.

Yeah I like that comparison. I think the best compliment we can give him was one I just saw in the thread re: his initial signing and that's this -- dude sure won't be getting another league minimum deal on his next one. Unless this season just goes full disaster zone for him.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Imagine on Friday if Jarry is between the pipes
For all the stupid shit he does, Sullivan is usually on point with goalie decisions imo. Going with Murray over fan favourite Fleury in the middle of round 3 was ballsy as f***. Sullivan has never seemed to be much of a fan of Jarry.

I think Jarry won't play again for the NHL Pens barring injuries or him playing really well in the AHL

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
For all the stupid shit he does, Sullivan is usually on point with goalie decisions imo. Going with Murray over fan favourite Fleury in the middle of round 3 was ballsy as f***. Sullivan has never seemed to be much of a fan of Jarry.

I think Jarry won't play again for the NHL Pens barring injuries or him playing really well in the AHL
I hope you are right. At the very least Jarry needs to go down to try to get himself straightened out.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Along with the goal he’s a possession freak and probably our fastest player. I hope they give him more opportunities.

There's a reason why the Carolina brass loves him. They had terrible luck with his hips and was deemed too much of a risk to keep, but a healthy version of Puljujarvi is the prototypical Canes winger. I'm sure that Dubas knows that if Carolina or Florida is busy snooping around a particular player, he should as well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sullivan has a purely "ride the hot hand" goalie philosophy so I'm not worried about him going back to Jarry. He'll stick with Blomqvist until Blomqvist starts to falter, and Jarry will just get chances on back to back games or an occasional off-day for Blomqvist.

I think they get around the goalie issue by just sending Nedjelkovic on a conditioning assignment whenever he's healthy. His remaining rehab time plus that 2 week conditioning assignment probably gives them until mid/end November to figure out what's going on with Jarry and what to do with the goalie situation.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
It’s too obvious at this point that the best thing to do is waive Jarry. No way Sully does that.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

That was back when Sully was a rockstar and I almost had a full head of hair!

Its been a looong time man, and Jarry still being here, snd being in the pickle he is in, shows why your faith is misplaced.

That said, I also think Blom starts against the Canes.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Even Mike Sullivan isn't going back to Jarry right away after all THAT.

But I also think there is no chance they waive him and possibly don't even look to move him.

The appeal of a "starting" goaltender even if it's in name/rep only takes a strong hold of a lot of teams/GMs. Ned and Blom aren't "starters." I mean... this entire mindset is the whole reason Jarry is here on a five year lucrative contract to begin with.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
++++ The reality we got to witness 500g and 1600pts for our 2 stars on the same night. The fact Sid factored in on this was awesome. G with an awesome goal from his back. That's a legit GREAT moment and something we should put in the memory bank as we continue down this end of era hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad