GDT: Game V Pens vs Swords: Can we make it 2 in a row?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Actually looking into it a little more the Sabres haven't NOT picked in the first round since 2007. And since then often multiple times (three in 2022!). Plus... and maybe most importantly... they've had a BONANZA of second round picks over the years. Those are the real heavy hitters.

Let this be a lesson to all of you on how you successfully rebuild. Ya buncha nostalgic, sentimental goofs.
I think it speaks to more of a "you have to suck at the right time". As I've said in the past, you get 3 1OVs, sometimes that's MAF, Ovie, and Sid and sometimes its Hall, RNH, and Yakupov.

They got Reinhart at 2OV which was solid, but the 2OV the following year was Jack Eichel. Then you get the 1ov in 2018 and it's Dahlin. Again in 2021 and it's Owen Power. These aren't bad picks but they are hardly the franchise-level player Cup teams have.

But I agree, why some people are so quick to want to trade everyone away only to suck again in a little baffling because there's so little guaranteed. If we DID want to suck, NEXT year is the year to do it because Gavin McKenna is up for grabs. THAT is a player you tank for. Otherwise, do the best you can and collect good assets for the future like Blomqvist, Brunicke, and McGroarty.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think it speaks to more of a "you have to suck at the right time". As I've said in the past, you get 3 1OVs, sometimes that's MAF, Ovie, and Sid and sometimes its Hall, RNH, and Yakupov.

They got Reinhart at 2OV which was solid, but the 2OV the following year was Jack Eichel. Then you get the 1ov in 2018 and it's Dahlin. Again in 2021 and it's Owen Power. These aren't bad picks but they are hardly the franchise-level player Cup teams have.

But I agree, why some people are so quick to want to trade everyone away only to suck again in a little baffling because there's so little guaranteed. If we DID want to suck, NEXT year is the year to do it because Gavin McKenna is up for grabs. THAT is a player you tank for. Otherwise, do the best you can and collect good assets for the future like Blomqvist, Brunicke, and McGroarty.

I'll be very curious to see what this team's stance is (and the fans for that matter) if they are actually respectable.

I'm not even close to counting on that, mind you. But it will be an interesting crossroads.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think this should be an unheard of take at all. If Groat was good enough to make the roster as one of their best forwards he should be eligible to be moved up at least on a trial basis to have a look. That's what like... coaching and development is. Groat profiles as a hopeful top six player, The top line needs work anyway and he'd be skating next to Sid flippin' Crosby. I don't think the whole season would blow up in the team's face if that were a thing for a game or two.

Regardless they need to do something with Groats. This is a waste. A predictable waste but a waste.
I meant more unheard of for the goober that could actually make it happen :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017
Some of you have never been a player watching the game from way up above and it shows. Soooo much to learn from the rafters vs being on the ice.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Some of you have never been a player watching the game from way up above and it shows. Soooo much to learn from the rafters vs being on the ice.

I think there is value there but I think there's way more value in letting him play like 18 minutes a night at the AHL level. He's never even played a pro game before this season and clearly has stuff he can work on especially on the offensive side of things. Hopefully if he's still only playing like 10 minutes a night and drawing HS they just send him down after like 10 games of letting him practice and like you said observe. WB/S actually looks like they have some decent players this year so it's not like he's being exiled to the salt mines.

Plus again... I think in the balance I'd prefer to keep him away from Sullivan until his game is at least built up enough to afford some knocking down by playing Sullivan's horseshit zero-event drudgery hockey every night.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
glass seems to always be around the puck and getting touches on it, wouldn't mind giving him a look with sid while he's playing well

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
glass seems to always be around the puck and getting touches on it, wouldn't mind giving him a look with sid while he's playing well

Glass actually seems to have a bit of vision/IQ/hands in the OZ. A rare trait on this team. I thought he was showing some interesting flashes going back to training camp and preseason.

It likely won't happen but I wouldn't mind seeing him slotted up there at some point, too. Heck do it now since Sid's line needs tweaked.

Reactions: The Old Master

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I do think they like him at center, which makes sense but given that both Hayes and Acciari are centers, I wouldn't hate it if they tried Glass on L3 wing for spot duty just to see.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don't think this should be an unheard of take at all. If Groat was good enough to make the roster as one of their best forwards he should be eligible to be moved up at least on a trial basis to have a look. That's what like... coaching and development is. Groat profiles as a hopeful top six player, The top line needs work anyway and he'd be skating next to Sid flippin' Crosby. I don't think the whole season would blow up in the team's face if that were a thing for a game or two.

Regardless they need to do something with Groats. This is a waste. A predictable waste but a waste.

Scratching McGroaty for a few games isn’t a big deal. It’s not unheard of to scratch a prospect and get them to watch the game in the crowd with a coach as part of their development.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Scratching McGroaty for a few games isn’t a big deal. It’s not unheard of to scratch a prospect and get them to watch the game in the crowd with a coach as part of their development.

Hey if you guys say so. To me players who are a little raw offensively but otherwise look mostly there need one thing more than anything else... lots of ice and lots of touches. But it's not one size fits all.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
If Peterka is back, I expect him and other Pens’ killer Tage Thompson to go off and win this game for Buffalo…also UPL is huge and usually stones us…expect a loss tonight…also it’s a prime time game so we usually lose those too lol…

Only hope is that Sid and Geno reach their milestones…
Isn't our recent pattern against the Sabres blowing late leads?

Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Hey if you guys say so. To me players who are a little raw offensively but otherwise look mostly there need one thing more than anything else... lots of ice and lots of touches. But it's not one size fits all.
Yah, they also need sub 7 minutes of ice time and a public dressing down. Don’t you know anything about developing players Willy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad