GDT: Game V Pens vs Swords: Can we make it 2 in a row?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Did Jarry just lose his starting job completely in the first? Because it feels like that should be the last straw.
He should sit for a few games for sure, outside of wearing out Blomqvist, the lucky thing is the next game is in 2 days and then after that another 2 days. So technically you should start Blomqvist vs the Canes and Jets. I think the next game I would even consider starting Jarry in would maybe be in Calgary, maybe.

Reactions: The Old Master

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Honestly, if they can keep getting this kind of goaltending, stabilace the D somehow, and get an upgrade on Beau, I might actually start believing a bit in this team again, there are more pieces in place to build a competent team this year than they've had in years.
Now if the coach would actually know how to put that team together is a whole other story..

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I mean yeah I get what you’re saying, but I also want that player you all are quite pissed off at, to bounce back and I might be the only one hoping for it at this point, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to see Blomqvist succeed and be our starter here on out either. I’ll just leave it at that.
I think its a no win situation. Team lacks confidence in Jarry and Jarry rightfully lacks confidence in the defense. Vicious circle. Our defense is crap crap crap.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I just love how confident Blomqvist is, a confident goalie doesn’t move around as much because his angles are just on point and Joel has it in spades right now, moves around very little, is in the right spots for being aggressive to shooters. Jarry is like textbook goalie with zero confidence example.

Joel is the #1 on this team and that was pretty evident after his first game actually.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I think its a no win situation. Team lacks confidence in Jarry and Jarry rightfully lacks confidence in the defense. Vicious circle. Our defense is crap crap crap.
Jarry's best hope of being a starter this year is Colorado giving up 13 tonight.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
It’s why I would demote him to WBS after today. I would just call up Larsson to back up Blomqvist, Jarry’s cap won’t let him get claimed and if he does, great, if he doesn’t, then hopefully he plays out of his funk in WBS.

There’s no way I would want Jarry to start a game in the NHL right now, the issues he has are so deep with his confidence you can’t hope for him to work it out at the NHL level, that’d just be bad for all parties involved.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly, if they can keep getting this kind of goaltending, stabilace the D somehow, and get an upgrade on Beau, I might actually start believing a bit in this team again, there are more pieces in place to build a competent team this year than they've had in years.
Now if the coach would actually know how to put that team together is a whole other story..

Yeah I think the upgraded bottom-6 and Blomqvist looking great definitely helps their case, but I still personally hate their defense and it's an open question who Sullivan will play in net. They're definitely in a better spot now than they were to start last year, though.

Puljujarvi and Acciari having huge bounce back years along with Hayes and Glass looking like competent depth guys really helps this team out.

Reactions: LiffLaff

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
It’s why I would demote him to WBS after today. I would just call up Larsson to back up Blomqvist, Jarry’s cap won’t let him get claimed and if he does, great, if he doesn’t, then hopefully he plays out of his funk in WBS.

There’s no way I would want Jarry to start a game in the NHL right now, the issues he has are so deep with his confidence you can’t hope for him to work it out at the NHL level, that’d just be bad for all parties involved.
LTIR for mental health. Get him away from the team for a month.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
He should sit for a few games for sure, outside of wearing out Blomqvist, the lucky thing is the next game is in 2 days and then after that another 2 days. So technically you should start Blomqvist vs the Canes and Jets. I think the next game I would even consider starting Jarry in would maybe be in Calgary, maybe.
That first goal was exactly the thing you shouldn’t do at the worst possible time for him to do it in terms of his personal best interest. . . And that second goal against a left handed shooter from the left side of the ice to follow it up felt like business as usual for him. I don’t know that a few games off is enough for him.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
LTIR for mental health. Get him away from the team for a month.
I mean wouldn’t want to assume he has mental health issues in terms of his confidence right now and how that may be affecting him, but you can’t afford to have him work his shit out in the NHL right now and I would see WBS as his chance to play and bounce back after a month down there and if he is still out of sorts there, then yeah, I would go that route with him maybe if he’s open to it or something because that can be sticky too with the abuse of the LTIR and NHL Player Assistance Program.

I just, being someone that has gone through severe depression, I know how much that can affect your life, especially when other shit starts to go wrong, so I don’t want to see Jarry have his career ruined, as much as I want to see Blomqvist be the goalie now and moving forward, I still hope he figures his game out because he’s a goalie that has shown he can be very good, he’s just absolutely lost his way since the last week of February last year. That’s a long time to marinate in failures for a bloke that is already playing a balancing act with his confidence right now.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I think when Neds is healthy you go with 3 and if Neds and Blomqvist are legitimately better then you waive Jarry.
I’d just do it after this game, WBS is early into the season as well, the games to get Jarry into will be fine to still spread between the goalies there after a month, you can also call up Larsson to make it easier down there while Ned is still out.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
I mean yeah I get what you’re saying, but I also want that player you all are quite pissed off at, to bounce back and I might be the only one hoping for it at this point, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to see Blomqvist succeed and be our starter here on out either. I’ll just leave it at that.
I can't speak for anyone else of course, but I'm right there with you when it comes to hoping to see a bounce back from Jarry, I just feel like that hope is dwindling by the game. The guy just looks mentaly shot at the moment, and I'm not sure if Pittsburgh is the right place for him to get his game back anymore. I think a switch of teams, or a stint in the AHL could do him some good though, either get a fresh start, or a low pressure environment where the stakes arent as high.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Yeah I think the upgraded bottom-6 and Blomqvist looking great definitely helps their case, but I still personally hate their defense and it's an open question who Sullivan will play in net. They're definitely in a better spot now than they were to start last year, though.

Puljujarvi and Acciari having huge bounce back years along with Hayes and Glass looking like competent depth guys really helps this team out.
Hayes is showing nice hands in tight early. I’ve liked how that acquisition has looked so far, especially with getting picks.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
the whole team defense is still crap. and you need a coach to fix that. imo

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad